Thread: Dead eyes, when was using dead eyes common?

Default Dead eyes, when was using dead eyes common?

Dead eyes: does anyone know the years when using dead eyes in standing rigging was common? When did the turnbuckle come onto the scene? I need to make new chain plates that accommodate taller toe rails on my Moscungus Bay Sloop and I'm considering moving to dead eyes instead of turnbuckles.

While dead eyes look super salty, would they be period correct? The original boat my sloop is built from has chain plates that don't look as if they'd work with the bolt on the lower dead eye?

For those of you using dead eyes, is it a pita? Would you do it again? What's your configuration to connect the low deadeye to the chain plate?

Default Re: Dead eyes, when was using dead eyes common?

Quote Originally Posted by preserved_killick View Post
    Dead eyes: does anyone know the years when using dead eyes in standing rigging was common? When did the turnbuckle come onto the scene? I need to make new chain plates that accommodate taller toe rails on my Moscungus Bay Sloop and I'm considering moving to dead eyes instead of turnbuckles.

While dead eyes look super salty, would they be period correct? The original boat my sloop is built from has chain plates that don't look as if they'd work with the bolt on the lower dead eye?

For those of you using dead eyes, is it a pita? Would you do it again? What's your configuration to connect the low deadeye to the chain plate?

That chain plate will have had a rope lashing to a dead eye or thimble in the shroud. Working boatmen favored simplicity and ease of repair.
    Chain plates for dead eyes had the bolting eye running with the bolt ford and aft.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I don't know their history. My Friendship Sloop built in 1961 had them, I liked them. That was a replica of an early 20th century boat.

I concur with Nick. Those are for a dozen turns or so of what was called codline or Hambroline - small tarred hemp. That would be correct for the boat.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Have a look at the photos in here: http://www.fss.org/registry.htm
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    That chain plate will have had a rope lashing to a dead eye or thimble in the shroud. Working boatmen favored simplicity and ease of repair.
    Chain plates for dead eyes had the bolting eye running with the bolt ford and aft.
    Nick, thanks! That makes sense! I'd wondered what they did with that large hole.

I suppose you could say they have evolved a bit.These were evident on the Ultim trimaran Sodebo before a Route du Rhum race a few years ago.A few geometrical differences,but the essential features aren't so different.

Sodebo tri.jpg

I have fake deadeyes consisting of over-large wire rope thimbles on the wire and Bow shackles on the chainplate, not pretty but extremely functional when I am stepping the mast using my bowsprit as a gin-pole. A deadeye can morph from 5 feet to 6" as the mast goes up and keep the mast in control and centered.

Ken

Might note that with modern synthetic line, some kind of deadeye system is becoming more common--need for the fine-tuning tension you get from turnbuckles.