Thread: Western Washington Forest Fires

Default Western Washington Forest Fires

There is a major fire burning about 40 miles away. One of the main highways through the Cascade mountains is closed. Towns are evacuated. I came down to the boat to find it covered with forest fire ashPXL_20220911_195546371.jpg
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Default Re: Western Washington Forest Fires

If you’re a railroad buff, Skykomish WA is a must see. Its where every train would stop for the huge electric locomotives to take over for the pull through the Cascade Tunnel. That ended long ago, but there are tons of railroadiana rusting away in the bushes.

The town evacuated yesterday.

2B9AAB20-8EB8-41E1-AF0A-00EAF391443A.jpg
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Overall, so far, the wildfires are not as bad in the NW as I'd expected. But they're getting rolling now. My 3 boys are camping this weekend. Changed destination to Mt. Adams to dodge the worst of it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

McIver park SE of Portland was the site of a fire that spread from a half acre to 25 acres in a couple of hours. About 100 folks camping in the park were evacuated, a home and some outbuildings were lost, but no lives. I think they got it under control yesterday.

Plenty of smoke here.
    Moon was quite red last night.
    basil

We're getting ash in NH from the western fires. It's not like we see it on the ground, but the weather reports are talking about the ash in the wind. That's a measure of how bad it is there. It's hard to imagine.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

As an extra level of firefighter frustration are the 50% of the population within the evacuation zone who refuse to leave. TV pointed a camera at one of their cabins flying the Gadsden flag. Probably thinks the fire is a hoax to lure him away from his guns.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    As an extra level of firefighter frustration are the 50% of the population within the evacuation zone who refuse to leave. TV pointed a camera at one of their cabins flying the Gadsden flag. Probably thinks the fire is a hoax to lure him away from his guns.

But, "Mah free-dumbs!"
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Winds here shifted to SSW last night. Brought a bit of moisture and flushed out some of the smoke. Makes breathing a bit easier, but I feel for folks downwind!

Air's not terrible here at the moment. We lost power in the middle of the night, but just got it back.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Not as smokey today. A lot of the ash blew off the boat when we took her out yesterday
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Not as smokey today. A lot of the ash blew off the boat when we took her out yesterday

Rain last night helped a lot.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I don't know why this fire is moving west, down the hill but I am sure glad it has been. It Started about 1 1/2 mile from my family's property but has only moved north and west, we're holding our breaths. We are 1 mile east Skykomish, on the south side of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    I don't know why this fire is moving west, down the hill but I am sure glad it has been. It Started about 1 1/2 mile from my family's property but has only moved north and west, we're holding our breaths. We are 1 mile east Skykomish, on the south side of 2.
    Here's the incident page for the Bolt Creek fire: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/8417/

Current projection as of this morning suggests that the fire is heading west because they can't get the crews in there to fight it.

Projected Incident Activity

• 12 hours: The fire will continue to advance in areas that will be unstaffed. The fire has the potential to spread into the drainage below the town of Index.
    • 24 hours: Fire will continue to grow towards the west due to inaccessibility issues. Possible continual spread south of US HWY 2, west of Beckler Creek.
    • 48 hours: Fire will continue to grow towards the west due to inaccessibility issues. The fire will spread into the wilderness.
    • 72 hours: Fire will continue to grow towards the west due to inaccessibility issues. The fire will spread into the wilderness.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

All the boats were dusted with ash on Saturday morning for the Port Townsend WBFestival

It is so dry up there, I am just holding my breath.
    Don't know if this will work but this is what is at risk.
    https://goo.gl/maps/5wrciBbB9sEguGNc6

Cedar Creek Fire in Oregon has burned 86,000 acres as of yesterday. Cascade Lake Waldo , beautiful Lake Waldo ..fire has reached the lake on the west and north side. % 0 containment. The other beautiful Lake Wallowa near Joseph is about 15 miles away from the Double Creek fire..155,000 acres, %15 containment.

WHEW! Hope the fires stay away from all that dry bracken! My side yard looked similar, but we got a sprinkle last night that'll help.