Thread: Race to the Top to walk in the Clouds.

Default Race to the Top to walk in the Clouds.

On the way home across Colorado from Mesa Verde to Denver on Friday. We made a stop at Pike's Peak. Pike's Peak is the highest summit in the front range of the US Rocky Mountains at 14,115 feet above sea level.

[IMG]Untitled by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Race to the Top to walk in the Clouds.

[IMG]Untitled by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]Untitled by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]

The pictures do not do justice to the steepness of this road. the road is a series of switch backs some are 180 degrees in a very small place. It is a little terrifying.

[IMG]Colorado Mesa verde pike’s peak by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

It is 19 miles to the summit. Once there we were in the clouds. The air at that height has 60% of the oxygen then the sea level air I am used to back in Virginia. I felt a very mild form of altitude sickness. It takes about 45 minutes to make the drive and burns a ton of gas.
    [IMG]Pikes Peak by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Pikes Peak by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]Pikes Peak by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Pikes Peak by rvaskip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Skip

I once worked with a woman who told me that she had somehow made a connection with Paul Newman and got to drive a car of his on the Pike' Peak run. Some preparatory function prior to one of the actual races. She didn't have any pics. She didn't explain how she met him. She was not a movie star groupie.

The Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (PPIHC), also known as The Race to the Clouds, is an annual automobile hillclimb to the summit of Pikes Peak in Colorado, USA. The track measures 12.42 miles (19.99 km) and has over 156 turns, climbing 4,720 ft (1,440 m) from the start at Mile 7 on Pikes Peak Highway, to the finish at 14,115 ft (4,302 m), on grades averaging 7.2%.[1][2] It used to consist of both gravel and paved sections, but as of August 2011, the highway is fully paved; as a result, all subsequent events will be run on asphalt from start to finish.[3]
    The race is self-sanctioned and has taken place since 1916.[1][2] It is currently contested by a variety of classes vehicles. The PPIHC operates as the Pikes Peak Auto Hill Climb Educational Museum to organize the annual motorsports event.[1]

While we were at the summit a thunder storm rolled in and you could hear the thunder claps below us. It rained for a bit coming down the mountain. Half way down the storm rolled away from the mountain and we saw a beautiful rainbow.

Skip

I could see guard rails as a growth industry there. Some of those shots really sent a shiver down my spine.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I’ve not been to Pike’s Peak but I have been to Mt. Evans a few times. Very cool.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…