Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Air bnb

Default Re: Air bnb

There's a big social impact difference between letting a room or seperate building on the property while the owners still live there, and purchasing and letting the whole property purely as a business.

On Cape Cod, the efforts to protect the benefits for both home owners and their guests and to prevent destructive behaviors both of visitors and absentee investors seem to focus on ownership regulations and modest taxes or fees to keep the AirBnBs reasonable level with our huge hotel/motel and other home rental industries.

When an elderly neighbor, a retired prof who loved sailing and boating, died, her kids sold her place to a recent RWW pioneer who remodeled it and listed it on AirBnB and Vrbo.

Quite a few of the guests like to have fireworks displays (we've been evacuated three time for wildfires), shoot their guns (in our residential area) and allow their mean dogs to roam. They ride ATVs all day and into the night on the local dirt roads, swerving drunks and little kids with no helmets.

Total f*cking blight.

bastards
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    When an elderly neighbor, a retired prof who loved sailing and boating, died, her kids sold her place to a recent RWW pioneer who remodeled it and listed it on AirBnB and Vrbo.

Quite a few of the guests like to have fireworks displays (we've been evacuated three time for wildfires), shoot their guns (in our residential area) and allow their mean dogs to roam. They ride ATVs all day and into the night on the local dirt roads, swerving drunks and little kids with no helmets.

Total f*cking blight.
    That’s a shame. In our case our Airbnb is attached to our house but private from it. In the last 4 years of operation we have had zero bad experiences with guests. All have been respectful, including the ones that bring quads in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. We are next door to the trails.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Thatís a shame. In our case our Airbnb is attached to our house but private from it. In the last 4 years of operation we have had zero bad experiences with guests. All have been respectful, including the ones that bring quads in the summer and snowmobiles in the winter. We are next door to the trails.
    Yes, and you as the homeowner as a moderating and modifying force in the equation can keep control of the situation, a case I would have zero issue with.

The situations I take issue with are the absentee owners who purchased the property to run as what is essentially a small boutique hotel in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

Not a situation that any of us on the street nor the streets where friends live in the previous mentioned locations signed up for when they closed on their homes more than 10 years ago in
    "R1 Zoned Single Family Residential Neighborhoods".

As Chip Skiff so succinctly put it; "Total effing Blight"
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    After 40 years of life as an airline pilot, I vastly prefer AirBnBs. We've been in many, and almost never have been disappointed.

They work best when they are mom-and-pop businesses, and not just commercial enterprises. Some vetting takes place.
    You know, re-thinking this, it's not AIR b'n'bs that I like. It's the places where the owners of the property have opened up a wing of their home, or a guest-cottage, as rentals. And are on-site, right there, and normal friendly people. Not "AIR" at all. Just folks who welcome you as paying but approved guests.

It's great during those bookings to meet them and share a glass of wine. The experience is so much better than a "hotel-in-a-big-city" that the two things are hardly comparable.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Sorry you are just fundamentally wrong! Kevin and Tom have a better grasp on the real estate industry. Hey but what do I know, I only have a brokers license and an impressive MLS million dollar report resume.

At least Mikołaj has a credible argument align yourself with his position
    WellÖthereís quite a few studies that show AirBnB has had the effect of bidding up housing prices. Hereís a few: https://www.forbes.com/sites/garybar...h=5428b35b2226

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    You know, re-thinking this, it's not AIR b'n'bs that I like. It's the places where the owners of the property have opened up a wing of their home, or a guest-cottage, as rentals. And are on-site, right there, and normal friendly people. Not "AIR" at all. Just folks who welcome you as paying but approved guests.

It's great during those bookings to meet them and share a glass of wine. The experience is so much better than a "hotel-in-a-big-city" that the two things are hardly comparable.
    I like AirBnB and VRBO a lot. I’ve stayed in some great places. I think your posts about individual owners rather than “business” AirBnbs are right on!

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    I like AirBnB and VRBO a lot. I’ve stayed in some great places. I think your posts about individual owners rather than “business” AirBnbs are right on!
    It seems it's Bn'Bs that people like. The problem is that in a lot of coastal, inner city and other tourist destinations, AirBnBs have replaced long-term rental and increased the monetary value of these properties. So in a lot of coastal towns and inner city areas, families that have rented in those areas for generations, are no longer able to do so and have to move away.

There's a point at which service provision simply becomes greed. In some places around the world, local governments and others have shown the will to act but I've seen no willingness to act here. The government claims to be taking steps to address homelessness and forced relocation but actual measures are practically non-existent.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Default Air bnb

Many of the ones in my area are now used as air bnb because the cost of housing has gone up. They are long held family properties that have exorbitant taxes and the owners rent them part of the time to try to offset costs so they can keep them.
    I will be inheriting my parents place at some point (along with my brother and sister). It strictly a vacation home. It is less than 800 square ft, has no insulation or heat, is in a flood plain and is near nothing but a lake. It is a seasonal house, unfit for long term rental. None of us can use it full time. As property owners we should have every right to rent it. We will not sell it. Are we forced to just leave it empty most of the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Of course not. The issue pertains particularly to accommodation that's been rented long-term but owners have decided they can make more money if they kick out the tenants and list it on AirBnB. This has also led to people buying up housing in desirable areas, listing them with AirBnB and using them as their holiday house as well. Sounds fair in a way but the end result is that people who are most disadvantaged get displaced. Local authorities need to act to achieve a balance that's fair to all. Once upon a time we believed that communities should look after each other.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    The houses that are used for air bnb near me would never be low income housing. Not a chance. They are high end vacation homes that were previously empty most of the year. They would go back to that usage.
    There were very few "high end vacation homes" in that map posted by bluedog. Or at least that was the case in the past. Maybe AirBnB is changing that.

About a quarter of that map is the historically black and latino neighborhoods that have now been gentrified so the old families generally can't afford to live there anymore.

Many of the neighborhoods south of the river in that map were working class neighborhoods. Homes in the 800 - 1000 sq. ft. range that were built in the post WWII period. Same story with affordability in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Of course not. The issue pertains particularly to accommodation that's been rented long-term but owners have decided they can make more money if they kick out the tenants and list it on AirBnB. This has also led to people buying up housing in desirable areas, listing them with AirBnB and using them as their holiday house as well. Sounds fair in a way but the end result is that people who are most disadvantaged get displaced. Local authorities need to act to achieve a balance that's fair to all. Once upon a time we believed that communities should look after each other.

The town is currently trying to take that right away. We do not know how we will handle things at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

While I agree with the issue of 'bad BNB' as said in my invisible post above and also mentioned by others, children not being able to afford to live in their parents /family home/ suburb is the story of time and property in a nutshell.
    Cities expand and grow, once 'poor' areas get absorbed and upgraded, suburbs become urban ,farmland gets eaten. Its life.

Only when based on an unsustainable model of infinite growth. Time to rethink that.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Only when based on an unsustainable model of infinite growth. Time to rethink that.
    Absolutely. The great covid diaspora as city and town dwellers escape the smoke and petty bureaucracy. Zoom to work.

To figure out where they want to live they travel around and stay at bnbs.

Population density in 2000 from GPWv3 adjusted to UN totals

REVIEW OF EXISTING GEOREFERENCED POPULATION DATASETS

You might be correct about not operating an AirBnB in north eastern Bangladesh, but the rest of the earth seems to have enough capacity for growth

https://www.fao.org/3/a0310e/A0310E06.htm
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We have room, and that’s all that matters? Right. 8 billion isn’t enough.

We have room, and that’s all that matters? Right. 8 billion isn’t enough.
    You're the one that talked about growth, I just supplied the math.

I defer to the better man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMz7JBRbmNo

did you Know I also have a drone But on the plus side I paid off all my student loans

The drone experience is a plus. You can be in the militia when the ruskies invade.

F*ck growth Joe. We're at the end of the rope.

Gary Davis