Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Air bnb

Default Air bnb

Gotta say Iíve got mixed emotions about air bnb. I enjoy getting away from chain hotels. But the idea that people end up living in a commercial area, instead of a single family neighborhood isnít swell.

Map of Austin Air bnb locations:

4BAFDC13-D805-427C-BEA8-D25ADCBEC642.jpg

Default Re: Air bnb

Recently watched the documentary about the Texas Tower shootings. Brilliantly told BTW.
    Afterwards, I googled Whitman. Came across a newspaper article that printed his Austin address. So, of course, I went to Zillow.
    $$$ Two and a half million freakin dollars !!!$$$
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    ...the idea that people end up living in a commercial area, instead of a single family neighborhood isn’t swell.
    eh? Elaborate please.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I think the pendulum has begun to swing the other way on the hotels v airbnb/vrbo/etc thing. If you're traveling/staying as a larger group they can be appealing, but for 2-3 people actual hotels are a lot easier.
    Even for a larger group it's a gamble. A friend vrbo'd a house near Misquamicut last year for a whole-family week and came away from it with the opinion that the burden of housekeeping labor far outweighed the cost savings over their usual beachside hotel.

I don't know if this is a nationwide thing, but I know of 5 local shoreline communities that are starting to legislate against short-term rentals so the landscape may be changing there as well.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

The house across the street is not owner occupied. As with many others in the neighborhood, it is operated as an air bnb exclusively. People in and out. Trash piled out by the street. Regular parties. That is, a business.

My neighborhood is zoned single family residential. And has been since the 1950s. But as is often the case these days, someone can make money so f the rules.

Politicians have been paid and rules changed to accommodate. Thereby changing the “deal” for homeowners who wanted to live in a non-commercial area.

Makes me rethink whether I should use air bnb at all. Haven’t in years.

Just the latest example.

9BE902CE-3474-4D4D-92A3-57BD9533824D.jpg

AirBnB is a huge issue in tourist communities like Cape Cod. While some are still families sharing their Cape home at times they are not out here, all too many are scarfed up by big investors, further up-ending anything like housing affordability. Then there's in neighborhood impact of 'family' groups moving in for a week of heavy partying.

The previous owner, my friend Richard, lived there since 1954. A good carpenter in his own right and the son of an old school german carpenter. He helped me a lot as a new homeowner in the early 90s.

Having a neighbor is quite different than having a home owned by who knows who or what. I naively introduced myself to the occupants a while back thinking they were the new owners. Gave them my number and my offer of assistance with anything they might need setting up their new house. It turned out to be an awkward interaction.

I spent a week in May in a private room in an old farmhouse in the village of Deer Isle on Deer Isle in Maine. The house has at least three separate living spaces, one of which was long term and the second of which was owner occupied.

Outside, there was a big garden, which, I was told, produced at lot of the food that the two permanent residents ate. The owner was largely doing the farming, because the long term renter has MS and was also being cared for by the owner.

Locating this sort of AirB&B is tricky. Just finding a single room, with one bed, for one person, has become more difficult since I began using AirB&B for week long trips to photograph around New England. But of course, they're identifiable by their price.

I just wish AirB&B would pay attention to the specs one inputs when beginning a search. You tell it 1 person and time period and general location and it offers you every rental in that location sometimes for as far away as next summer.

At this point, people are no longer going to realtors to find their summer vacation places. Not only is this leaving the owners with unsupervised short term tenants, but it's cutting into an income stream for local realtors. Around here there have been a lot of consolidations of realter firms in the last 5 years which is probably also a byproduct of AirB&B.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    eh? Elaborate please.
    I can elaborate. My neighborhood is pure single family residential, since the early 50's. Deed restricted with some fairly rigorous covenants as to what a homeowner can and cannot do with their property. Can't park a monster RV in the front yard, can't park on the lawn, can't run a high traffic retail business etc. All done with the intent to maintain property values, and as a by product almost 99% owner occupied properties.

AirBnB and VRBO became a thing and absentee investors came along and snatched up properties when they became available. Renovated the properties and listed them on the various websites for short term rentals like the ones mentioned.

Downside, as Bluedog indicated, is a revolving door of strangers taking over a property for a week, loud, noisy, multiple cars parked on lawns when rented by 3 or 4 couples. Pool parties till the wee small hours drinking and all of its attendant shenanigans.

Homeowners association's only recourse is to place a lien on the property which only has teeth once the owner decides to sell (as if). HOA is not going to start foreclosure procedures on dozens of properties, far too expensive. The rotating cast of yahoo weekly renters is what makes it a commercial district.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

On the West end of the Chippewa Flowage. Clean and well appointed.

In Key West you can’t rent for less than 27 days unless you have a hotel license or a short term license. There is a specific number of short term licenses. If you have one, you can sell it. Some have changed hands for $250K.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

We use AirBnB as much as possible. The one we stayed at recently in Spain was a treasure. Clinging to the side of a mountain in a village of 20 people. The hostess was very sweet (although she spoke no English), and the whole experience was completely different than what would be available in a hotel. My wife (who speaks no Spanish at all) went to try to get a little ice from her, and came back with ice, free range eggs, and a nice bottle of local wine! One evening, the hostess' toddler son treated us to a performance of the The Three Little Pigs, complete with sound effects, hand gestures, and facial expressions that told the story, even though he was rattling away in Spanish. Priceless. I understand the problem of them pushing into private neighborhoods, and I wouldn't want that either. We've considered renting out the great room in our barn, but we're in a rural area, so there would be little or no impact on our neighbors.

We only stay in AirBnB's

Our first AirBnB in Maui It was magical and set the tone. No hotel, no stale smell, no long corridors, we felt like we were HOME. The host was accommodating, and of course we left it better than we found it.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/23...j5jA4dG5oACUwc

We went back east and stayed at this Mid Century Modern apartment in Hoboken, next to a fabulous restaurant we never would have found if we stayed at a hotel.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2650346...mdlEayRcx0xKA5

The next time we went back east we stayed in this converted Firehouse. Who doesn't want to stay in a cool Firehouse with a pool in the backyard ?

IMG_0593.jpg

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2179536...atJc9uOHxy9tfa

Our home base in Florence

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/plus/78...is4Mlo0%2FO3eS

Our CONTACTLESS Covid Casa. Where could you go to a hotel and get access to your room without coming into contact with ANYONE and quarantine, with 2 rooms and TWO bathrooms ?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4227032...BRH%2F1ssT0GGy

We ONLY stay in AirBnB's
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We stay in AirB&B's when it makes sense for location and price. But we're quiet, clean, considerate, polite, responsible, etc., etc.

But 30% of the population are assholes at least some of the time. Anything involving that 30% is going to be problematic. I wouldn't want an AirB&B next door to me, and there are all sorts of people and all sorts of essentially commercial arrangements that I wouldn't want next door to me. Protecting yourself from assholes is a necessary life skill, you just do it. Unfortunately, sometimes that might mean moving.

After 40 years of life as an airline pilot, I vastly prefer AirBnBs. We've been in many, and almost never have been disappointed.

They work best when they are mom-and-pop businesses, and not just commercial enterprises. Some vetting takes place.

Shame about all the housing stock and all the homeless. But there is money to be made.

We also had a great time in a tour of France and Belgium a few years ago, staying in Air BnBs. My daughter also has a cottage on Lake Erie, in a short stretch with a half-dozen cottages. One is a full-time Air BnB, usually rented by a group of young people aimed at partying on the lake shore. The speakers were just starting up when I left yesterday. It's pretty easy to see both sides of this issue. That's before you get into the thing in Paris, where small hotel keepers can't cover their overhead in competition with Air BnBs. Or NYC, where corporations are buying housing to let in residential neighborhoods.

Toying with the idea of buying an apartment in Florence and AirBnBing it for 8 months a year. You can get an AMAZING beautiful apartment in the city for like $180,000 - $250,000 which to us in SoCal is about what a parking space would cost you . AirBnB it for $180 - $200 a night and live there for two months in the off season.

I don't stay in the likes of airbnb, at all. I hate their guts, I hate that antisocial business model, I hate the opportunistic losers that disregard other people's living space for their own financial gain - and by opportunistic losers I mean both the owners and the guests. The detrimental effect these illegal small scale hotels cause is already well measured and published. The only place I wish to see them is at the history's landfill.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    I don't stay in the likes of airbnb, at all. I hate their guts, I hate that antisocial business model, I hate the opportunistic losers that disregard other people's living space for their own financial gain - and by opportunistic losers I mean both the owners and the guests. The detrimental effect these illegal small scale hotels cause is already well measured and published. The only place I wish to see them is at the history's landfill.
    Mikołaj why don’t you tell us how you really feel

Shame about all the housing stock and all the homeless. But there is money to be made.

Is this really fair? If your neighbor stopped Air bbing, would homeless people suddenly have the means to move in? Would you a prefer a homeless shelter or group home next door?

Just saying.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

^^^^ This 100% ^^^^

It’s math. There would be more housing stock. Prices would be lower. More people could afford homes. It is that simple.

Don’t make me go all baxter.

It’s math. There would be more housing stock. Prices would be lower. More people could afford homes. It is that simple.

I wish someone studied real estate

The houses that are used for air bnb near me would never be low income housing. Not a chance. They are high end vacation homes that were previously empty most of the year. They would go back to that usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Of course they wouldn’t be low income housing. They would be more expensive to own. Freeing up housing elsewhere.

Of course they wouldn’t be low income housing. They would be more expensive to own. Freeing up housing elsewhere.
    Sorry you are just fundamentally wrong! Kevin and Tom have a better grasp on the real estate industry. Hey but what do I know, I only have a brokers license and an impressive MLS million dollar report resume.

At least Mikołaj has a credible argument align yourself with his position

It’s pretty simple. In the old days, many of these dots would be single family residential. This means people living in homes. People living in homes are not homeless.

These dots are not being used for single family residential. We changed the rules to allow them to be used as air bnb rentals. Therefore, there are less single family homes for people to live in.

A broker’s license? Wow. If that’s your best argument, you best sit this on out. And welcome back!

EBAFF999-8E62-42AF-AA26-20915C67B5BA.jpg

Or they could be investment or vacation homes , but Yea your right ……… do you feel better now ?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo.../269-535725106
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 09-10-2022 at 06:55 PM.

I agree with this, yes.
    But housing the homeless is a stretch.

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

More homies; less homeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    The houses that are used for air bnb near me would never be low income housing. Not a chance. They are high end vacation homes that were previously empty most of the year. They would go back to that usage.

They are mostly not year round homes either. Few of them are occupied year round, and likely never will be.

Tom

Exactly. It's already destroyed the lives of many families here. Few governments have the vision or fortitude to do anything about this plague.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

This.

More homies; less homeless.

Theres a wide swath of life between homeownership and homelessness. People who rent live productive lives, for example.