Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Bannon

Default Steve Bannon

Marched into court this morning and charged with money laundering and conspiracy.
    When he arrived at the courthouse, he was not in handcuffs. Once inside, he was formally arrested and handcuffed. Pleaded not guilty. Released without bail, which pisses me off no end.
    The death of Queen Elizabeth sucked all the air out of this story but the SOB is still in a lot of hot water.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Default Re: Steve Bannon

But the believers wanted to support xenophobic policies that made others suffer. Sure he defrauded them but it’s the thought that counts.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

No perp walk? Aw, shucks.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Release without bail is a travesty. Bannon is a flight risk.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Is it then doubly onerus for him if he attempts to take flight, and is caught before he makes it away? No bail, but shirley he's been told to stay in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Is it then doubly onerus for him if he attempts to take flight, and is caught before he makes it away? No bail, but shirley he's been told to stay in town.
    My heart beats a little faster just imagining that!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    No perp walk? Aw, shucks.
    Just saw a video clip of him being walked to the courtroom in handcuffs, screaming that the government will have to kill him before he shuts up. What a blowhard.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Just saw a video clip of him being walked to the courtroom in handcuffs, screaming that the government will have to kill him before he shuts up. What a blowhard.
    Let’s hope.

Cool Re: Steve Bannon

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Gag him and chain him to a chair.

15 million is the alleged sum.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Passport pulled. Is Puerto Rico a haven?

Default Steve Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Nice work if you can get it.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The best thing that could happen for this country is for him and Trump to just run! Actually solves all the problems.
    Justice, revenge, that "Make them pay" attitude, them are GOP morals. Not mine. I would love to see them just leave.

I’m reminded of a bit of our shared history; William of Orange and his father in law…

When it became clear that his army were not going to fight for him, largely because John Churchill had changed sides, James II decided to sabotage the Government by throwing the Great Seal of the Realm into the Thames. He then set off to flee to France where his paymaster Louis XIV would take care of him.

But he was recognised by some fishermen who brought him back to London. His son in law gave him some advice on escaping properly and allowed him to escape again; this time he succeeded.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    Is Puerto Rico a haven?
    Not in the slightest. US territory.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by ShorelineJohn View Post
    The best thing that could happen for this country is for him and Trump to just run! Actually solves all the problems.
    Justice, revenge, that "Make them pay" attitude, them are GOP morals. Not mine. I would love to see them just leave.
    I disagree. (Big surprise.) The GQPs touting of 'tough on crime' is only a dog whistle when they bring it. They don't mind being seen rousting the little people and putting them in prison for smoking pot or aborting their rapists victim's pregnancies. They like to give the big donors to their campaigns and the military-industrial, prison-industrial, pharmaceutical-medical insurance-industries a pass.

Prosecuting the worst villain in US history is better, at this or any other juncture, and what's needed. The best thing would be if we could somehow wind back the clock and have trmp never be involved in our politics at all, to have all the deplorables still only whingeing privately in their own homes. Suppose, for example, that the coronavirus had broken out in twenty-fourteen, or in the months following nine-eleven. The number of people who would've been against wearing masks and getting vaccinated when it became available would have been very, very much smaller, just Bobby Kennedy Jr and some ignorable cranks who think vaccines caue autism. There would have been no mask mandate protests at all. Because no one would have weaponized those things for political gain, and with a genuine best effort by the US at home and abroad, the entire gobal impact, the sad fact of the pandemic would never have gotten that far, and it would have meant those millions dead would still be walking around, we might have skipped all the small business failures, and supply chain interruptions, etc.

By contrast, since we are already deeply into this worst ever political divisiveness and simmering with the possibility of some kind of national civil war, putting a just end to the greatest threat to our democracy n our history, and taking away the biggest weapon in the hands of the drivers of the political tension and hostility, will go a long way toward restoring sanity and peace.

No matter how trmp and his cohort of R co-conspirators works out, we want our country and the ROTW to see us doing the right thing according to our much vaunted and essential rule of law, not just going through the motions. It isn't about revenge, though watching trmp twist in the wind will be a real pleasure for some of us, it's about real justice and real democracy and having a genuine republic and supporting the Constitution. It's about restoring the oath of office to be more than just a weak gesture in a merely symbolic ceremony.

If trmp could just run to some country without an extradition treaty with the US, he wouldn't just go there and shut up, he'd be planning and yelling about his return and restoring his version of ruling the country, and mcconnell et al would be pulling their wicked strings without so much exposure and challenge. The divisiveness would only be heightened and intensified instead of relieved and the tension abated. Even if Madame DeFarge is gleefullly in the crowd chanting 'guillotine! Guillotine!' while she knits, we want justice, not a bloody revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    $15 million from individual Americans who supported TFGs policies meant to inflict cruelty on immigrants and refugees. And TFG pardoned him for fleecing his followers. TFG knows his marks.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-09-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    $15 million from individual Americans who supported TFGs policies meant to inflict cruelty on immigrants and refugees.
    Thinking about it a bit, the symbolism is that they bilked their poor slob suckers into donating, at least in part, by playing to those individual's own egos. A cellular mimicing of their narcissistic cult hero. They paid to get their name on a brick in a remote place none of them will likely ever visit.

The moral challenge is always how to confront evil without becoming what one fights. Because one does unilaterally choose to fight at a disadvantage.

But at all costs, one must not gloss the strategic for the tactical. Evil wins when I ignore the rule of law to defeat the guy who ignores the rule of law.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

So he had a scam going selling personalized bricks for the border wall. Never mind that the “wall” was actually a metal fence. Can’t feel sorry for stupid people.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Can’t feel sorry for stupid people.
    You can feel how you feel, but those who defraud stupid people should face the legal consequences.

Richard Feynman

Can’t feel sorry for stupid people.
    Sure you can

3ED860F1-1350-45EB-B5A7-B0095916F2D3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Thinking about it a bit, the symbolism is that they bilked their poor slob suckers into donating, at least in part, by playing to those individual's own egos. A cellular mimicing of their narcissistic cult hero. They paid to get their name on a brick in a remote place none of them will likely ever visit.
    As much as I want to see Bannon and the other asorted Red Hat cronies tried and ultimately jailed, I have ZERO sympathy for the mouth breathing dimwitted racist scumbags that donated the money.

Its important that all these folks get prosecuted just like Ehrlichman, Haldeman, Liddy, Hunt and that whole gang. And of course TFG.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    You can feel how you feel, but those who defraud stupid people should face the legal consequences.
    Oh I agree wholeheartedly, but you’d have to be a pretty dim bulb to fall for that scam. And chances are the morons that sent him $$ didn’t exactly have it to lose. Probably missed a payment for the 38” mudders and wheels that month.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

. . . you’d have to be a pretty dim bulb to fall for that scam.
    Very true. If ever there were something that looked like an obvious swindle . . .

Richard Feynman

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, but you’d have to be a pretty dim bulb to fall for that scam. And chances are the morons that sent him $$ didn’t exactly have it to lose. Probably missed a payment for the 38” mudders and wheels that month.
    Thats good, they have a bit less cash available to donate to the GOP election fund.
    It all helps.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

If these people suffer no consequences, how can anyone here, if called to jury duty, convict any of the poor folks that will be tried before you?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

You know, that's a good rejoinder for when I get shagged for plugging my ears so that I never have to listen to the orange menace's cringey voice.

"No, your honor, I have followed the news in general and know who is and that he once tried to be president, but I haven't heard a word out of his mouth since well before his so-called election in twenty-sixteen. Does that count? I hope it counts, but I assure you from the little I have heard of his voice, it was not a wasted effort to plug my ears to avoid it, in any case."

"The court thanks mister Mahan and he is excused." Dammit.

Bannon's indictment will inevitably draw attention to similar scams such as Trump's Save America PAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Bannon's indictment will inevitably draw attention to similar scams such as Trump's Save America PAC.
    Hopefully. It's my optimistic side that sees this constant stream chipping off bits and pieces of Trump support. Every voter helps if they reach a point where they don't vote at all in Nov., or they vote for dems.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

I don't think he is much of a flight risk. He has a federal court date on Oct 21. Should he skip that he will have US Marshals looking for him. After that date he definitely won't be a flight risk.