Thread: Zoom and Face-time

Default Zoom and Face-time

I'm skeered...

Not really.

One of the VA appts I cancelled the other day was one with my psychiatrist. He's cancelled the last couple. We don't have many appts and it's been a while, since I last saw him, in person. Pretty much he just monitors the mood drugs he's prescribed. We are supposed to have a video phone call this afternoon. They've been promoting that since the pandemic, to keep people out of the facility unless it's really necessary to be seen in person.

I had a nice call from the sleep doctor this morning who told me that she concluded that I don't have apnea and we agreed that I don't really need any med for restless leg syndrome which I have but isn't a real bother.

Since I don't have a job, or sit on any boards or anything, and I don't call anyone socially, I've never used face-time, and haven't ever had a zoom meeting. I'm a video-calling virgin. I don't know if the doc is still going to call me today at four or if it's been rescheduled again.

I have downloaded the VAs app for it and it should be seamless after the first time we tried which was a minor debacle that got cut short. We'll just have to see how it goes, whether it's today or some time in the future. You guys with social lives and jobs probably do this all the time, yeah?

Default Re: Zoom and Face-time

Yep. It's no sweat. Just answer the call.

You are on camera, so sit where there is light on your face, or move a lamp so that it lights your face. Otherwise, you'll be a silhouette. You can opt to turn the camera off, but I suspect a psychiatrist will prefer to see your reactions.

There will be buttons on the screen for camera and microphone, which you can familiarize yourself with before the call. Just open the app.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Pretty routine. Several times a day.

Face-time on ipad and phone just works. Done.

Others (Teams, Zoom, etc) may have some issues first time. Like “permission to access microphone or camera.”

Once set up, it just works. Hit the button and done.

There is some etiquette. For the executives, a few minutes on camera then click off camera and mute unless you are a player in the discussion.

Or stay on whole time if it is 1:1 and the person in charge wants to be on camera. All my meetings with directors and managers are off camera. Except one manager who likes to see and be seen.

edit-there is a feature on some where you can blur your background or insert a false background that looks like an office. Pretty cool. I’ve got a throw-down button down starched shirt I’ve been using for 2 years to look dressed up. Ought to wash it.

Edit 2-this is my favorite background. Don’t get to use it much.

6A911425-4B23-49AF-8154-F9BB14FC11D1.jpg
    Last edited by bluedog225; 09-08-2022 at 05:38 PM.

Anyone use Duo? It’s googles video call app.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post

Edit 2-this is my favorite background. Don’t get to use it much.

6A911425-4B23-49AF-8154-F9BB14FC11D1.jpg
    That's hilarious, well done!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Face time on a tablet worked last year when my sister was dying. Queer way to send her off.
    Do what ya gotta do Jim. Ain't that bad. New, different, once you get past awkward it's easy.
    I think

Tom