The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Breakaway
    • Mar 2007

Re: The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

A solemn moment in world history.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• willmarsh3
      • Sep 2004

That was a very long time indeed - going back to the days of President Truman!
      Will

Comment

• WszystekPoTrochu
        Mikołaj
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by peb
        As for Charles III, I expect he will be an excellent king. May he lead your nations with the same dignity as his mother (and grandfather).

I should wait a bit before posting a bit of gallows humor. If it is too early, I apologize in advance. But what the heck were Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip thinking when they named their first born Charles? Charles II likely killed himself playing with mercury. And Charles I? We won't even go there. I am thinking if your son is next in line after you to be the King of England, you do not name him Charles.
        Charles is the most royal name in the history of royal names. Many languages have their name for king coming from Charles, the same way even more use Caesar for emperors.
        WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Comment

• Hugh MacD
          • Apr 2015

I have to salute her sense of duty. She even outdid Victoria and that by quite a stretch. It will be interesting to see how Charles manages the transition.

Comment

• JayInOz
            • Nov 2009

Rest in peace Queen Elizabeth. A long and remarkable life, well lived. She was already queen when I was born and still queen when I became old enough to qualify for the old age pension! Two months younger than my dear old father. I wish he'd made it to ninety six. Whatever people think of Charles, he dearly loved his mother and has been a loyal supporter for all his life. I hope the critics can keep their claws retracted at least for a few days. JayInOz

Comment

• peb
              Papist and Texan
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by WszystekPoTrochu
              Charles is the most royal name in the history of royal names. Many languages have their name for king coming from Charles, the same way even more use Caesar for emperors.
              For sure, I was simply limiting my examples to England.

Comment

• peb
                Papist and Texan
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JayInOz
                Rest in peace Queen Elizabeth. A long and remarkable life, well lived. She was already queen when I was born and still queen when I became old enough to qualify for the old age pension! Two months younger than my dear old father. I wish he'd made it to ninety six. Whatever people think of Charles, he dearly loved his mother and has been a loyal supporter for all his life. I hope the critics can keep their claws retracted at least for a few days. JayInOz
                Agreed about Charles. There is every reason to believe he will do s auperb job.

Comment

• StevenBauer
                  LPBC member
                  • Jan 2000

I was listening to KCRW on the radio when the news broke. They played ABBA’s Dancing Queen and said Elizabeth loved the song and always danced when she heard it.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                    Trying to be reasonable
                    • Oct 1999

I just ran into this, a photo of princess Elizabeth at age 16. She worked as an army mechanic during the war, fixing cars and trucks. Really.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 09-08-2022, 08:27 PM.
                    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                      Flâneur • Seattle
                      • Feb 2001

Originally posted by RFNK
                      Who gave him the choices? Is it the Archbishop, the Government or other members of the family?

I believe that would have been his mum and dad, Queen Elizabeth and King George VI.
                      “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                      — Adam Gopnik

Comment

• CWSmith
                        New Hampshire
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                        I just ran into this, a photo of princess Elizabeth at age 16. She worked as an army mechanic during the war, fixing cars and trucks. Really.
                        When you think back to the American revolution and the centuries before, there was an astonishing change in the British monarchy in our lifetime (plus a few decades).
                        "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Tom from Rubicon
                          • Nov 2009

My family's blood and treasure were spent to rid this country of royals in our revolutionary war.
                          The obeisance to aristocracy is beyond my scope of reason.

To the British subjects. The Queen is dead, long live the King.

Comment

• peb
                            Papist and Texan
                            • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Keith Wilson

I read a really good biography of her dad. She came from good stock. And as much as I think her dad was a great man, she was every bit the great woman.

Comment

• RFNK
                              Port Stephens, Australia
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nicholas Carey
                              I believe that would have been his mum and dad, Queen Elizabeth and King George VI.
                              You mean Prince Philip? KGVI was his grandad.
                              Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Comment

• Nicholas Carey
                                Flâneur • Seattle
                                • Feb 2001

Originally posted by RFNK
                                You mean Prince Philip? KGVI was his grandad.

Yup. I get confused.

Phil and Liz. Probably over a pink gin.
                                “The big joke on democracy is that it gives its mortal enemies the tools to its own destruction,” Goebbels said as the Nazis rose to power—one of those quotes that sound apocryphal but are not.​
                                — Adam Gopnik

Comment

Working...