Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

Default Re: The Queen is dead. Long live the King.

A sad day indeed.

To all of our friends in the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth of Nations: You have lost a truly great leader. She served you all with great dignity and grace for so long. She has been a light for all nations. My prayers are with you as your morn your loss.

Eternal rest grant unto Elizabeth II my Lord, and may perpetual light shine upon her. May her soul rest in peace. Amen.

As for Charles III, I expect he will be an excellent king. May he lead your nations with the same dignity as his mother (and grandfather).

I should wait a bit before posting a bit of gallows humor. If it is too early, I apologize in advance. But what the heck were Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip thinking when they named their first born Charles? Charles II likely killed himself playing with mercury. And Charles I? We won't even go there. I am thinking if your son is next in line after you to be the King of England, you do not name him Charles.

She was a constant in an ever changing world for as long as I have been alive. I'm sad to see her go. I'm watching coverage on Youtube.

I wish King Charles III success.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    As for Charles III, I expect he will be an excellent king. May he lead your nations with the same dignity as his mother (and grandfather).

I should wait a bit before posting a bit of gallows humor. If it is too early, I apologize in advance. But what the heck were Princess Elizabeth and Prince Phillip thinking when they named their first born Charles? Charles II likely killed himself playing with mercury. And Charles I? We won't even go there. I am thinking if your son is next in line after you to be the King of England, you do not name him Charles.
    Charles Philip Arthur George. They gave him four choices.

And at our late Sovereign’s request, it will be Queen Camilla.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I see no role for monarchy and it's clearly ridiculous for my own country to have a British head of state. It's particularly offensive for indigenous Australians.

Nevertheless, my condolences to all Brits and especially to those with great affection for the Queen. She was a remarkable person who made every effort to do her duty as she saw it. If we had to have a monarch. I'm glad it was her. She'll always be remembered fondly in Australia. Rest in peace.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

See my comment in other thread on the monarchy. Suffice to say, I am positive the Brits would be bonkers to get rid of the monarchy, if you see no role for it, you just haven't paid attention to history.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Thanks Andrew, I suppose he just likes showing he has no superstitions.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Who gave him the choices? Is it the Archbishop, the Government or other members of the family?
    Rick

Dang. That was a long shift.

When it started, I was a subject of her majesty. By the time it was finished, I was a subject of a king.

(Neither of whom I voted for).

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

A solemn moment in world history.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

That was a very long time indeed - going back to the days of President Truman!
    Will

Charles is the most royal name in the history of royal names. Many languages have their name for king coming from Charles, the same way even more use Caesar for emperors.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

I have to salute her sense of duty. She even outdid Victoria and that by quite a stretch. It will be interesting to see how Charles manages the transition.

Rest in peace Queen Elizabeth. A long and remarkable life, well lived. She was already queen when I was born and still queen when I became old enough to qualify for the old age pension! Two months younger than my dear old father. I wish he'd made it to ninety six. Whatever people think of Charles, he dearly loved his mother and has been a loyal supporter for all his life. I hope the critics can keep their claws retracted at least for a few days. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    Charles is the most royal name in the history of royal names. Many languages have their name for king coming from Charles, the same way even more use Caesar for emperors.
    For sure, I was simply limiting my examples to England.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Rest in peace Queen Elizabeth. A long and remarkable life, well lived. She was already queen when I was born and still queen when I became old enough to qualify for the old age pension! Two months younger than my dear old father. I wish he'd made it to ninety six. Whatever people think of Charles, he dearly loved his mother and has been a loyal supporter for all his life. I hope the critics can keep their claws retracted at least for a few days. JayInOz
    Agreed about Charles. There is every reason to believe he will do s auperb job.

I was listening to KCRW on the radio when the news broke. They played ABBA’s Dancing Queen and said Elizabeth loved the song and always danced when she heard it.

I just ran into this, a photo of princess Elizabeth at age 16. She worked as an army mechanic during the war, fixing cars and trucks. Really.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 09-08-2022 at 08:27 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Who gave him the choices? Is it the Archbishop, the Government or other members of the family?

I believe that would have been his mum and dad, Queen Elizabeth and King George VI.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I just ran into this, a photo of princess Elizabeth at age 16. She worked as an army mechanic during the war, fixing cars and trucks. Really.
    When you think back to the American revolution and the centuries before, there was an astonishing change in the British monarchy in our lifetime (plus a few decades).
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

My family's blood and treasure were spent to rid this country of royals in our revolutionary war.
    The obeisance to aristocracy is beyond my scope of reason.

To the British subjects. The Queen is dead, long live the King.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post

I read a really good biography of her dad. She came from good stock. And as much as I think her dad was a great man, she was every bit the great woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    I believe that would have been his mum and dad, Queen Elizabeth and King George VI.
    You mean Prince Philip? KGVI was his grandad.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    You mean Prince Philip? KGVI was his grandad.

Yup. I get confused.

Phil and Liz. Probably over a pink gin.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

RIP Your Majesty.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

There is no requirement that the King or Queen use their primary Christian name as their Royal title name. Prince Albert "Bertie" became King Edward VII, Edward VIII was known as David with in the family..
    The current King could use any of Charles Philip Arthur George, as his royal title, though the press seems to assumed it will be King Charles, and the Prime Minister used that in a speech so it is probably the case he will use that.
    It had been thought The King might use, George VII.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Her ancestors used hunt our ancestors . . . for sport

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    I predict that the Obamas will attend the funeral.
    I hope to hell that the orange attention seeking oaf does not attend. I rather doubt he will be invited though.
    RIP, your Majesty.

For the last time on the front page of my newspaper, nice picture!
    IMG_1396.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    I hope to hell that the orange attention seeking oaf does not attend. I rather doubt he will be invited though.
    RIP, your Majesty.
    I have been watching NZ's ongoing documentary of her reign. They mentioned that she chose to wear a brooch given to her by Barack Obama when she hosted the Trumps. What a great old girl!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    You are defended from foxes?
    Remarkable!
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    It was barbaric, i agree.

They used to treat each other's ancestors not so differently. In fact, the world over, many if not most cultures did. The power relationship between rulers and ruled, whether between different social groups or within divisions of the same social group, has been characterized by habitual barbarity. Talk to a member of a subjugated minority in China or Myanmar or etc today. To a Hutu or Tutsi in Ruanda, a North Korean. A Haitian or Liberian. Talk to a Ukrainian, or Russian critic who hasn't yet gone to Siberia or found an open 4th floor window.

Diverse indigenous cultures on every continent have long, long histories and traditions of being warriors, who had active schedules well before European colonizers entered the game away from their own homelands.

I'm not excusing any abuses of British or other European colonial oppression. At all. But I'm done with portraying these as unique evils primarily perpetrated by Europeans on a normatively peaceful world. Mongols, ancient Persians, Mayans and the Iroquois Confederacy would like a word. Perhaps Polynesian cultures too - my history knowledge there is too sparse to be competent to give examples.
    Last edited by TomF; 09-09-2022 at 07:51 AM.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

very well put, tomf.

while we can share responsibility and make some amends for the relatively recent past, each individual deserves assessment based on their own behavior.

it appears to me that queen elizabeth did about as well as anybody might, who had her life to live.