Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: A Deck Dilemma

Default Re: A Deck Dilemma

The history of Snoose is well known, in part due to the Shaw Island historical group. She was built by Art Hoffman. You may notice there is a Hoffman Bay on Shaw across from Friday Harbor. The story is that Art cut the timber on his land, milled it and built the boat. He launched her in 1943 and then fished her until he retired, at which time his nephew took her over to fish. There were only a couple of other owners in between, and we bought her from a fisherman who had fished her for a while and then started the conversion to pleasure boat. I’m sure there are more complexities to the story, but I believe it is generally accurate. The Historical Society sent me a picture of Art and his dog from about the time he was building Sinbad, aka Snoose.

Very cool Ron. I know Shaw well. Hoffman cove and Cedar rock might be the finest place it the world on the 4th of July, but don't tell anyone, or it might cease to be true.

A quick internet search turns up this photo, which I assume you have seen:

I wonder if Snoose was ever involved in the reef netting that went on there (and still might?). Apologies for the thread drift, thanks for the explanation.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I would not worry about the staples under all the dukee.
    A good trick , if one wants to pull them , is to shoot them through a piece of dacron sailcloth/light nylon webbing, then pull a bunch at a time by peeling up the fabric.
    and hey !!! I have no ill will towards Pat or Nick or anyone here ...this is a fun game fer me.
    Pat, That is not my own boat (#16), but a funky ass Carriacou Sloop. The plan was , after a season or 3 ,for the decks to stabilize (dry)and sheathe with dynel. However, since covid, the vessel has been sold and I have not been back.
    I'll see her in a few months ,ja willin
    bruce
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 09-20-2022 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lukes View Post
    Very cool Ron. I know Shaw well. Hoffman cove and Cedar rock might be the finest place it the world on the 4th of July, but don't tell anyone, or it might cease to be true.

A quick internet search turns up this photo, which I assume you have seen:

I wonder if Snoose was ever involved in the reef netting that went on there (and still might?). Apologies for the thread drift, thanks for the explanation.
    no worries about thread drift, the more it drifts the more I learn. Yes, I have that photo. Looks like one of her stints as a gillnetter? These boats were versatile I guess.

I love this little Porter Cable 2-1/2” belt sander, except it gets hot after a bit and I have to let it cool while I peruse the WBF. I’m sure Bruce “Dudley” Wizbang would have made short work of stripping this deck with his collection of angle grinders, but I didn’t hear him offering.

26BCE99F-5A99-4A1A-AB8A-D829219FC2C0.jpg

My parents had a place on Shaw Island for 25 years, living there fulltime for the last 15 years. The original cabin we built in 1969 was built with lumber Henry Hoffman sawed at his mill on the south end of the island. I went to Sunday School with Henry and Marlyn's kids. My older brother worked with Loyal Hoffman, who was Art's brother. I think Art was still around when I was a kid, but I didn't pay a lot of attention the neighbors .

The reef netters used skiffs to get out to the reef net boats. I don't imagine Snoose was used for that.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I love this little Porter Cable 2-1/2” belt sander, except it gets hot after a bit and I have to let it cool while I peruse the WBF. I’m sure Bruce “Dudley” Wizbang would have made short work of stripping this deck with his collection of angle grinders, but I didn’t hear him offering.
    You can sand boats with a disc sander, but not an angle grinder. That is, if you want to do good work.
    Last edited by pcford; 09-20-2022 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    My parents had a place on Shaw Island for 25 years, living there fulltime for the last 15 years. The original cabin we built in 1969 was built with lumber Henry Hoffman sawed at his mill on the south end of the island. I went to Sunday School with Henry and Marlyn's kids. My older brother worked with Loyal Hoffman, who was Art's brother. I think Art was still around when I was a kid, but I didn't pay a lot of attention the neighbors .

The reef netters used skiffs to get out to the reef net boats. I don't imagine Snoose was used for that.
    Great! Fills in a couple more details. A few years ago we were coming out of Friday Harbor headed around the corner toward Cattle Pass. A red BoatUS towboat came flying up astern trying to get our attention. Having just left the customs dock I was afraid something was amiss. I shut her down so I could hear what the young skipper was shouting. Grinning ear to ear, “I grew up on that boat!” he said. We chatted a bit, I believe he was a Hoffman.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    You can sand boats with a disc sander, but not an angle grinder. That is, if you want to good work.
    I know, just yanking Bruce’s chain.

I know, just yanking Bruce’s chain.
    Dudley, a sanding legend in the NW, could sand a runabout with a disc sander in an hour and a half. For many reasons, angle grinder should not be used.
    Last edited by pcford; 09-20-2022 at 01:22 PM.

Great! Fills in a couple more details. A few years ago we were coming out of Friday Harbor headed around the corner toward Cattle Pass. A red BoatUS towboat came flying up astern trying to get our attention. Having just left the customs dock I was afraid something was amiss. I shut her down so I could hear what the young skipper was shouting. Grinning ear to ear, “I grew up on that boat!” he said. We chatted a bit, I believe he was a Hoffman.
    Probably Michael Hoffman. He would be in his 50s now.

He is the one with glasses in the front next to his sisters, Beth and Kathy. I am behind Michael. We are in front of the Little Red Schoolhouse on the island.

Guess no one dressed up for Sunday School. At least I didn't. My mother was just glad she could get me to go to Sunday School. Circa 1971Shaw island sunday school 1971.jpg
    Last edited by Bobcat; 09-20-2022 at 01:42 PM.
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Ron ,That wee belt sander ,being dustless, was the tool to use in Shilshole.
    Discing it would have been a "night job", preferably up in Quartermaster!

Dudley, a sanding legend in the NW, could sand a runabout with a disc sander in an hour and a half. For many reasons, angle grinder should not be used.
    Dudley wooded my Blanchard Sr. Knockabout back in the early ‘80s, while singing opera all the while.

Dudley wooded my Blanchard Sr. Knockabout back in the early ‘80s, while singing opera all the while.
    Gone but not forgotten.

In ten years of getting the magazine, the only articles that really grabbed me were "The Amazing Jogglestick" and the piece on Dudley.
    wish I'd met him

You’re the new Dudley Bruce. Know any opera? He was a larger than life character. I remember him continuing to move the disc sander in his left hand while his right hand would be feeling for fair and circling high spots with chalk. And if he wasn’t singing, there was a cigar in his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Probably Michael Hoffman. He would be in his 50s now.

He is the one with glasses in the front next to his sisters, Beth and Kathy. I am behind Michael. We are in front of the Little Red Schoolhouse on the island.

Guess no one dressed up for Sunday School. At least I didn't. My mother was just glad she could get me to go to Sunday School. Circa 1971
    Great stuff Bobcat. Thanks for digging that out. If I think of it when I get home, I’ll post the pic of Art and his dog.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Ron, I’m pretty sure that deck will outlive us both, galvanized staples and all. Maybe we need to plan a rainy November South Sound cruise to test it out.
    Definitely plan to do more winter cruising now. We’ll do it.

And another one bites the dust. I’m going to quit for today. Yesterday I continued after I was tired and did some sloppy work trying to glass the ply pieces I installed. And I should know better than to try to apply glass with tools and hands that are already goobered up with epoxy. New rule; only apply glass with clean tools.

52AB56EB-B1E1-4FD4-BFCA-9B6DFBCE96DB.jpg

5FB3C196-6F60-40A4-B437-6B3DBB7B6F36.jpg

Just saw that I had stirred up some confusion, by all means leave the staples in, that's the best part of them, they get buried under all the glass and such and you never have to worry. I usually would do all the ply first and then the glass the works, just to make my order of operations more efficient but everybody does things their own way. One of the shipwrights I worked with had a great story of Dudley wooding the bow of the wrong boat, guess it was along the lines of "wood the Chris Craft in Canal" turned out there were two hauled. As I understood it he he typically used a hard pad as well, which shows just how good he was.

Nicholas

Yeah, I definitely should not have tried to glass that first section. Guess I was thinking to protect it in case of overnight rain. Easy to smooth out though when I finish the ply and glass the whole thing.

Typically I have tried to run my glass side to side to avoid having to tape. I have always tried to be a couple of steps ahead on the ply side so I can lay glass as far as possible just because it becomes much harder to hide seams after you glass has dried. Either way is gonna work just fine.

Nicholas

Amine blush scrubber. A scotch brite pad clamped in an old drywall sanding pole. Works great! Now I don’t have to soak myself while scrubbing and rinsing on my knees.

But the really good news, after scrubbing and flood rinsing thoroughly a couple of times, I could not find a single leak below! Even using a floodlight, not a drop to be found. I still have the side decks to do and then glass cloth and paint the whole thing, but I’m very happy with the decision to do this.

A284A543-CB65-48AB-9F8F-A717068F869E.jpg

2C98DEF2-27F0-45BF-B37C-3B3B19DA6F46.jpg

Nice work! It looks great. What did you use to make the templates?

Quote Originally Posted by Powerwagon View Post
    Nice work! It looks great. What did you use to make the templates?
    Good old door skin strips and a hot glue gun.

F039A531-DA50-4B39-BF84-55EA5D6E911E.jpg

Nice pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Nice pattern.
    Thanks. Not gonna win any design awards but it works.

That's how they did my kitchen countertop and it fit perfectly. But I was told this is the old school technique, most countertop measurements are taken with some sort of laser device now. What I wonder -- is this laser system adaptable to boat work? Or is a flat surface assumed?
    -Dave

fir plywood

fir plywood
    Covered in fiberglass...

Ron, are you getting your plywood from Home Builder's Center on Nickerson? I'm not sure where the source their fir marine ply but I've found that it's good quality - certainly good enough for decks.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Covered in fiberglass...

Ron, are you getting your plywood from Home Builder's Center on Nickerson? I'm not sure where the source their fir marine ply but I've found that it's good quality - certainly good enough for decks.
    No, I probably should have. This is marine fir plywood from Limback. Probably not the cheapest, but they are handy and I like supporting them. Not quite sure what Pat’s point is.

Pat doesn't like fir plywood because it checks and it prints through paint unless it's glassed. It's something of a running theme.

Never thought of Limback. For all I know that's where Home Builder's gets their plywood. I'll have to try them next time.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Limback has better prices than homebuilders. Usually…

Pat doesn't like fir plywood because it checks and it prints through paint unless it's glassed. It's something of a running theme.

Never thought of Limback. For all I know that's where Home Builder's gets their plywood. I'll have to try them next time.
    This is not the first deck/cabin top I’ve done this way on Snoose. (In fact it was the last remaining). The decks I did 12-15 years ago are fine, no fir failure. Yeah, if the ply wasn’t totally embedded in epoxy and glassed over with epoxy, maybe fir wouldn’t be my first choice.

when I redid the decks on Tortuga I was a bit more extreme. I removed the old decks that had been leaking. That revealed considerable rot in the tops of the deck beams which meant I had to build new deck beams. Once the new laminated deck beams were in place I put down Douglas Fir T&G V-groove planking prepainted on what would be the bottom. That wood was screwed to the deck beams. I then filled the v-grooves on the top with thickened epoxy and epoxied down two layers of okoume plywood with the joints between sheets staggered. I put a layer of 10 oz fiberglass cloth set in epoxy over that, filled the weave with epoxy, faired it out and painted. That method seemed to work OK.