Thread: Beavers making a comeback

Default Beavers making a comeback

I've always been a fan of beavers. Our state is named for them. My hometown was founded on the beaver trade.

It Was War. Then, a Rancher’s Truce With Some Pesky Beavers Paid Off.

The ‘highly skilled environmental engineers’ can help to store precious water and rejuvenate land ravaged by climate change. Just don’t dynamite their homes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/06/climate/climate-change-beavers.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://www.sltrib.com/news/nation-w...anchers-truce/

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Beavers making a comeback

Maybe five years ago, one morning I was on an early morning bike ride, and passed a small concrete lined drainage ditch that goes under the two lane main drag I was biking on. It leads to the port and the turning basin at the head of the deep water channel, about half a mile from our house. I just happened to glance at the side of the road as I passed the culvert, and there, right there, not ten feet from me, was an honest to god beaver! The furry kind with the teeth and the flat tail. We made eye contact and he submerged. I didn't even have time to ask it a question. I was amazed. Apparently they've come back here and no one I mentioned it to seemed to be impressed with the fact. Like when I once saw a coyote loping along between rows of industrial buildings at the little industrial park just south of the city proper where I used to work for a commercial printer. Unmistakably not a dog. And then there are the turkeys who still come by and scratch in the front yard every couple of days. Now there's only a pair of toms. The first time I saw them, about three or four years ago, there was a whole flock of more than a dozen, and for months they patrolled the neighborhood every morning. I'm a little disappointed I haven't seen a racoon yet. They're supposed to be thriving everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I've always been a fan of beavers.
    common ground with david g

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Yes. But some rocks should remain unturned. Or so says The Committee.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Beaver! The state animal of New York!

David, how is Oregon named for beaver? Is that a native name?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Beaver! The state animal of New York!

David, how is Oregon named for beaver? Is that a native name?

Kevin
    No - it's the motto: The Beaver State

And yes, it's also the state animal here.

And - along with my own Oregon Ducks, the other large university is the Oregon State Beavers.

BTW... there is no agreement on what the word 'Oregon' means, just several competing theories.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Euphemisms aside, Our beaver reintroductions are already reaping benefits.
    And in a time of drought, it has already started to attract a huge range of wildlife. Dragonflies and damselflies flit through the reeds that fringe the ponds as reed warblers and chiffchaffs call from amongst the trees. The team at Knepp have already begun monitoring the amphibians that will hopefully be taking up residence, while the abundance of insect life and the bats they attract are also being studied.

These biodiversity benefits have a knock-on effect in the surrounding landscape. The water backing up above the dam has created further wetlands outside of the fenced area, where large mammals such as deer, pigs and cows can come down to slake their thirst.
    One of the key aspects of beaver dams, however, is simply the fact that they are not perfect.
    'They're providing opportunities during the summer months because they have slightly leaky dams,' says Penny. 'There will be a bit of water trickling out when there perhaps wouldn't be so much water in our landscapes during drought years like this year.'
    'So they'll be letting a little bit of water out of these dams throughout the summer.'
    This is clearly evident downstream of the beaver enclosure at Knepp, where the ground is still marshy and the sound of running water can heard through the buzz of the insect life.
    The beaver ponds act in effect like a little air conditioning unit in the wider Knepp landscape.

Cooling the environment

But the increased amount of water in the landscape during a time of drought doesn't only help wildlife by quenching its thirst.
    By constructing ponds, the beavers can also help to cool the water that they store, as deeper water typically has a lower temperature. As this water spills out into the environment, either via groundwater seepage or the leaky dams, it further cools the surrounding landscape.
    In addition to this, the evaporation of water from the large surface areas of the ponds helps to cool the air itself, in effect creating a natural pocket of air conditioning within the parched landscape.
    https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/...k-drought.html

Even the Daily Wail approves.
    Nice, beavers! Dam-building rodents transform 'Tinderbox Britain' into network of wetlands to escape worst of the drought

• Drone footage shows how the beaver's dams kept an area of wetland in the Devon countryside hydrated
    • The dams have helped hold almost two feet of water, keeping the surrounding plants and animals watered
    • From October it will become illegal to disturb, harm or kill beavers thanks to new government legislation

By Brooke Davies For Mailonline and Hannah Mcdonald For Mailonline
    Published: 18:42, 20 August 2022 | Updated: 19:02, 20 August 2022

Beavers have helped transform part of the scorched South West English countryside into a nourished wetland by constructing a network of dams.
    Drone footage captured by Clinton Devon Estates show how the beavers construction activities have kept an area of wetland in East Devon green and hydrated, compared to the dried up fields surrounding it.
    This is despite the UK experiencing one of the hottest summers on record, with large parts of England declared to be in a state of drought, and the South West region one of the worst affected.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This is old news. 1950's, IIRC. Geologists hooked up with biologists to study beavers on the Humboldt River, which flows east to west across Northern Nevada. Ranchers believed the beavers were "wasting" water. Turns out, the ponds recharge aquifers, producing an overall net gain in water availability from the river, considering the river and the acquifers as a hydrologic system, which of course they are.
    Last edited by Osborne Russell; 09-07-2022 at 01:41 PM.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    This is old news. 1950's, IIRC. Geologists hooked up with biologists to study beavers on the Humboldt River, which flows east to west across Northern Nevada. Ranchers believed the beavers were "wasting" water. Turns out, the ponds recharge aquifers, producing an overall net gain in water availability from the river, considering the river and the acquifers as a hydrologic system, which of course they are.
    No-brainer really. Without beaver dams and ponds, the river water goes straight (directly) into the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Well, I suppose it is good to get that over with.

I, too, thought this was going to be about women's pubic hair.... Oh well, carry on.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

My BIL is always battling them on his dairy farm. They flood acres of one field if he doesn't deal with them.
    Last edited by Rich Jones; 09-07-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Grilled beaver tail. Once a delicacy of the American west, don't try it at home.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Castoreum /kæsˈtɔːriəm/ is a yellowish exudate from the castor sacs of mature beavers. Beavers use castoreum in combination with urine to scent mark their territory.[1][2] Both beaver sexes have a pair of castor sacs and a pair of anal glands, located in two cavities under the skin between the pelvis and the base of the tail.[3] The castor sacs are not true glands (endocrine or exocrine) on a cellular level, hence references to these structures as preputial glands, castor glands, or scent glands are misnomers.[4]
    It is used as a tincture in some perfumes[5] and was sometimes used as a food additive in the early 1900s.[6]
    The sacs brought CA$2.62–5.10 per ounce when auctioned at the May–June 2016 North American Fur Auction.[7]

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 3.56.36 PM.jpg

Boy, yummy!
    Last edited by Breakaway; 09-07-2022 at 02:57 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

One of my favorite understated movies:

The beavers show up just before the 1 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/EP6Qb7rzBmA
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    Grilled beaver tail. Once a delicacy of the American west, don't try it at home.
    Beaver tail leather is expensive but makes fantastic grips for hunting bows- and looks cool. Judging by the number of Youtube videos of people destroying beaver dams and trapping the critters, not every one over there is keen to see their numbers replenished. JayInOz

Beaver Liquors is a favorite of mine in Beaver Creek, CO. Liquor in the front, deliveries in the rear, as they say...

Beavers are nice people.

Nicer than us.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

We had a pair in the upper harbor of our yacht club on the Mississippi River. I liked them, and it was a sign that the waters of the river were getting cleaner.

Two winters ago they girdled a dozen 3-6’ diameter cottonwoods that surrounded our harbor. We had to take down all the trees. That didn’t improve the harbor.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Beat me to it.
    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Speaking of beavers I like this one. The flight characteristic capabilities are totally unrealistic, but it will also do low and slow.

There remains a conflict of interests as it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rce-on-beavers
    Gruß, Günter

Quote Originally Posted by heimfried View Post
    There remains a conflict of interests as it seems.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...rce-on-beavers
    When there was first talk of reintroducing beavers, the BeeB sent a bright young thing to interview a concerned farmer.
    As usual, they did an outside broadcast format, with the farmer and the interviewer walking alongside a babbling brook as it tumbled down hill through a piece of his land.
    The bright young thing never did spot the irony.

It is true that beaver ponds may flood arable land, but dairy farmers see the benefit to their cattle being able to drink.

I thought this was going to be a thread about car seat covers

Buddies of mine and I used to go to VT for an annual fishing trip. The single track to the cabin from the end of the government road wound through the woods, into open meadow and crisscrossed a decent sized stream that ran up the mountain.
    Every year beavers would dam up a different part of the stream and flood a different part of the meadows and redirect the stream. Every fall one of the hill farmers would tear down the dam.
    Always looked forward to seeing where the stream was going to be that year....

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Buddies of mine and I used to go to VT for an annual fishing trip. The single track to the cabin from the end of the government road wound through the woods, into open meadow and crisscrossed a decent sized stream that ran up the mountain.
    Every year beavers would dam up a different part of the stream and flood a different part of the meadows and redirect the stream. Every fall one of the hill farmers would tear down the dam.
    Always looked forward to seeing where the stream was going to be that year....
    I am fairly sure you would find that the decent sized stream ran DOWN the mountain
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

We could do with a few on the Norfolk Broads cutting down the trees, it would make for better sailing.. They'd never be allowed to block the navigational channels, but there are plenty of other soggy places they could reside..
    Just an amateur bodging away..