Thread: The Golden Globe 2020: Sailing Like it's 1968

Default The Golden Globe 2020: Sailing Like it's 1968

Is anybody following the Golden Globe Race 2022? Non-stop round-the-world race, east-to-west.

Kickoff was Sunday 4 September. Looks like they're all still in the Bay of Biscay.

https://goldengloberace.com/

The live tracker is at https://goldengloberace.com/live-tracker/

SAILING LIKE IT’S 1968

In the world of ocean racing, money and sponsorship have created and continue to support spectacular professional ocean racing events.

THESE ELITE SKIPPERS AND MODERN-DAY OCEAN GLADIATORS ARE CHAMPIONS, THE BEST OF THE BEST AND RIGHTLY SO WHO BECOME PILOTS OF AMAZING TECHNOLOGY. BUT HAS SOMETHING HUMAN BEEN LOST? THE INTEGRITY FADES FOR ORDINARY SAILORS WATCHING AS HIGH TECH WINS AHEAD OF THE SAILOR. HOW CAN THESE ORDINARY SAILORS, INSPIRED BY THE ACTION, DREAM OF EVER PARTICIPATING? OFTEN SAILORS LOSE THAT DREAM, KNOWING IT IS JUST FOR THE FEW. THE DREAM FADES AND DOES NOT HAPPEN.

The retro nature of the 1960s rules and conditions of entry into the Golden Globe Race have opened a fresh new page. It has created great enthusiasm, comment and opinion in sailing circles around the world. They say this retro style is the right idea at the right time and may well begin a movement toward RETRO SAILING. We hope it does. The plain idea of racing in simple strong boats, using no technology and combining the traditional seamanship skills of the sailor with his ingenuity, passion and determination to drive him across the finish line first, is both simple to understand and intensely satisfying. It is also a very affordable adventure and challenge for all! The dream is back!

You sail refitted older proven production boats of a similar style, length and type, with no high tech anything allowed, no satellite gear and your costs are controlled. All entrants face the same challenges and more money will not necessarily help you to the podium. There is no rating system, so the person in the lead is winning and wow, you have a great production family boat and when you want to sell, you do not lose your shirt!

As a RETRO Race, for the Golden Globe, generally speaking, only equipment that was available to Robin Knox-Johnston on Suhaili in 1968 may be used. That means NO GPS, chart plotters, electronic wind instruments, electric autopilots, electronic log, iPhone, satellite phones, digital cameras, computers, cd players, pocket calculators electronic clocks and watches, watermakers, carbon fibre, Kevlar, spectra etc… so it is back to film cameras, cassette tapes, sextants, wind up clocks, trailing logs and Dacron sails, wind vanes and typewriters.

There is a place for all types of sailing races in the world and just maybe, RETRO sailing is the new kid on the block!

For all technical details download the Notice of Race.

Notice of Race
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: The Golden Globe 2020: Sailing Like it's 1968

Good idea, taken a bit too far maybe. Relatable boats and budgets are great! But digital cameras and satellite weather data are also very much of the masses, and would not alienate any dreamers. Quite the opposite, really.

I followed the first race. May follow this one.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I would personally allow digital cameras if people wish to take still photos only.
    Also, I would allow a GPS and a Satellite phone if kept in a LOCKED/SEALED SAFETY locker.
    If you get in real trouble, break the lock/seal. But then, you are altomatically out of the race.
    Disqualified immediately.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Real boats sailed by real sailors.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    I would personally allow digital cameras if people wish to take still photos only.
    Also, I would allow a GPS and a Satellite phone if kept in a LOCKED/SEALED SAFETY locker.
    If you get in real trouble, break the lock/seal. But then, you are altomatically out of the race.
    Disqualified immediately.

They have that.

From the rules (more details in the Notice of Race).

"This is a non-stop one-class race, so any entrant forced to make one stopover, or break the seal on their portable GPS chart plotter, will not be eligible for any official Golden Globe trophies, refund of the entry fee or completion plaques, but can remain in the event, being moved to the ‘Chichester Class’. They will receive a ‘Chichester’ finishing plaque, provided they finish no later than 1500hrs on 14th June 2023.

Any entrant making two stops is disqualified.

Each entrant will be required to have a standard Race Pack by the event organisers. The technology may change, but it will include, but not be limited to:

- A stand-alone satellite tracking system (the skippers cannot see) for web tracking updates.

- A two-way satellite short text paging unit. (to race headquarters only)

- Two handheld satellite phones for up to four short messages per day

- A sealed box with two portable GPS chart plotters (for emergency use only)

All Entrants will be tracked 24/7 by satellite, but competitors will not be able to interrogate this information unless an emergency arises and they break open their sealed safety box containing a GPS and satellite phone. Doing this, however, has consequences. By breaking the seal, competitors will be deemed to have retired from the Golden Globe Race, and instead will be relegated to the Chichester Class as if they had made a stop.
    Entrants are free to speak to media, family, friends and sponsors by radio at any time during the event, but must not be given any form of weather routing. Competitors may communicate freely (by radio or by hailing) with other competitors, or other mariners on vessels at sea, requesting or giving any verbal information/advice whatsoever, even if this is considered weather routing.

World Media will be able to access boat tracking information and regular daily updates and summaries from GoldenGlobeRace.com. The Race Media Unit will work with entrants to generate pre-race publicity and will report major incidents and human-interest stories to the media throughout the Race.

On occasion, the Race Director may call competitors directly by texting a competitor at any time, asking them to turn their sat phone on.

Information received from competitors during Voluntary safety reports will NOT normally be passed to anyone outside the race management but scheduled weekly check-ins will be distributed to the world."
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Thought about doing it for one hot second and started to build a plan. Life is too short to do this. More importantly - I like people and life verses a loner challenge; and a wife and dog really enjoys my company.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I took a look at the rather busy race tracker screen and may do so again from time to time.I must admit to being torn between admiring the competitors for their willingness to ignore the benefits from the past 50 years and questioning their enthusiasm for doing so.I found it more involving to follow the last Vendee Globe with a constant stream of hi-res onboard video updates,not to mention their efforts at pushing the technology to make it easier to stay in touch while sailing very fast.

Every time I go sailing its like 1968, or 1973 at least. Same difference in reality.
    regards the race...
    Graham Dalton was not allowed to compete after his medical.

I go sailing like it's 1868...

Well, 1868 as far as the boat design, rig design, and auxiliary power goes, anyway.

Materials and accoutrements? Nylon, Dacron, epoxy, fiberglass, etc. is all very very nice, both afloat and ashore. As is a digital camera.

But I've long thought events/races (especially for small boats) ought to have a low-tech, no-GPS class to even the competition for those who like to play the game that way.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I like the idea of a low cost race. Whether 1968 is the right mark or ... is debatable. Some equipment that makes the skippers life much easier is not expensive. On the other hand, a figure of 500 kUSD was once mentioned somewhere for campaigning a J22 in the US Championship - that is an excess that kills the sport even for good (but not rich) talents and makes it a "only money buys trophy" sport. So, if we want to see new talents emerging, there must be affordable race classes.

In the end, the boats in the 2022 Golden Globe do have the modern safety gear on board. It is just in a sealed container and they drop out of the Golden Globe rating (into the Chichester rating) if they open the container. Not a bad solution to the underlying problem.

That the rating for drop out boats is called "Chichester" rating - now, there just might be some very old envy involved ... Chichester had all the bells and whistles available at the time on his boat.

Just watched a new doco on Netflix, about the 1983 America's Cup, when the Aussies ended a 132 year streak.

The live tracker shows a rather competitive race so far. A few leaders have developed about a one-day lead on the second echelon of boats, but with 25,000 miles to go it's anyone's race.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

it's no longer anyone's race, Guy DeBoer took his Tashiba 36 aground on Fuerteventura just a few hours after passing the first video gate yesterday morning.
    He's ok and the boat seems relatively undamaged, but he's out of the race.

https://goldengloberace.com/ggr-entr...rst-film-gate/
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I just watched "race of the century" last night, highly recommended. See post 12 above.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

The above pic reminds me of a senior gentleman that was cruising past my place on the ICW. He eschewed GPS and electronics for paper charts too. He took a wrong turn and veered off the waterway. He thought the approaching bridge provided 65’ clearance. It didn’t and his mast landed in the cockpit narrowly missing him. I’m guessing the new mast was more expensive than the tech he disregarded.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Navigation is just that.. Even the Volvo lot screw up and run aground.
    The last race had a lot of people cop out, which raises the point about modern, verses older style boats.

I suppose this counts, maybe not as a port call, but certainly a "stop".

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    it's no longer anyone's race, Guy DeBoer took his Tashiba 36 aground on Fuerteventura just a few hours after passing the first video gate yesterday morning.
    He's ok and the boat seems relatively undamaged, but he's out of the race.

https://goldengloberace.com/ggr-entr...rst-film-gate/