Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog’s gone bad

Default Re: Dog’s gone bad

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    When I was 15 or 16 or so, I would sometimes ride my bike into town. I had to pass a shotgun house that a black family lived in and they had a dog that always chased me. I would always go past there as fast as I could. One day, I was going past as fast as I could and the dog came at me. I kicked at it and with the bike speed and my leg speed and the closing speed of the dog, my kick caught it under it's jaw and actually lifted the front of the dog off the ground. That dog never chased me again.

What does the family being black have to do with the story? BTW, it's instinctual for dogs to chase a moving object. It's a better idea to stop, get off the bike and walk it, keeping the bike between you and the dog.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Sometimes a dog is a slow learner

Had a dog in the neighborhood that chased cats. One of the cats, an old wise mean tabby, climbed a tree and waited. She dropped on the dog's back, sunk three claws in as anchors and raked the dog's face with her free paws. After a few minutes, she dismounted and slowly walked off. That dog never chased another cat
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

I think that anytime a dog is running around free and bites someone the owner should be euthanized and the dog should be adopted.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

What does the family being black have to do with the story?
    If it just happens to be a fact of the story, an accurate reminiscence, a detail that helps paint the picture and make the setting, the fact of the shotgun house a similar pertinent fact, it doesn't need to be suspect of racism as the question implies. There are black people in neighborhoods with dogs that live in shotgun houses. So what? Eliminate the historic environmental details and sterilize the story so it has less impact even if it's still true. A dog once came and bit me. I lived. So what? Who has a real story? It's not like Jimmy said there was a shotgun household of Nword types with a dog that ... such and such.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Rigadog View Post
    What does the family being black have to do with the story? BTW, it's instinctual for dogs to chase a moving object. It's a better idea to stop, get off the bike and walk it, keeping the bike between you and the dog.
    It's just the truth, they really were and in those days, it meant that those kids didn't go to school with us white kids or ride the our school bus or have hardly any interaction with the whites. It wasn't right, but race made a lot of difference in mid 1960s Mississippi and in this area, whites were the minority race, but with all the political power.

Re Chips' comment, dog laws here have become quite stringent here over the last couple of decades, it's very uncommon to see a ranging dog nowadays and that is a direct result of some terrible attacks over the decades.
    Having said that, about a month ago we made a little road trip in our region, looking at the backroads and rural settlements, much of that closed now due to flooding and slip/ road damage as it happens. But a few weeks ago a man was killed by dogs on his property in one of those spots we toured through. Very rural, the guy had a man staying with him to help him out. That man's dogs killed him when he tried to break up a dogfight by the sounds. They'll be pig hunting dogs, which are usually mutts with a lot of pit or bull or staff in them.
    Last edited by John B; 09-07-2022 at 02:30 PM.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a sharp #2 pencil.

When I was twelve I decided, with Dad's encouragement, to breed our Golden Retriever bitch. Several litters later I got the perfect stud for her which was grand until Sandy (name on the papers started with "Spearmint of Nissaquague and then rolled on like one of my professor's full aristocratic name as recorded in his native Venezuela) took to biting at the garbage man. Dad thought it was because as a black man he smelled differently. I called Dad on that remanent of his Oklahoma racism as the better understanding of Sandy's aggression was that the garbage man took things from the house. Also, Sandy did not chase the milkman who was black but brought full bottles and took away empties.

Sandy spent the rest of his life leashed, penned, or in the marsh or woods with me, my shotgun, and a few unlucky fowl.

can't believe how violent these responses are.
    Lots of childhood memories percolating up. A thread becomes a Rorshach blot and not just a problem solving dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Sometimes a dog is a slow learner

Had a dog in the neighborhood that chased cats. One of the cats, an old wise mean tabby, climbed a tree and waited. She dropped on the dog's back, sunk three claws in as anchors and raked the dog's face with her free paws. After a few minutes, she dismounted and slowly walked off. That dog never chased another cat
    My big dog Miles was on leash as we were walking along a street w a guard rail and on the other side of the guard rail was a big house cat
    stalking us, Miles couldn’t see it and at the end of the guradrail the cat comes out screaming and Miles almost took my arm off jumping sideways. I took to heart the dog trainers admonition about not wrapping the leash around your hand as 120 lbs of flying dog cannot be restrained.

to topic. Diplomacy, dog treats, pepper spray backup. If Tom is a partime resident and the dog is full time then it’ll take a little while to claim territory but it doesn’t have to start with guns a blazing. Diplomacy, treats on the periphery but clear boundaries.
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-07-2022 at 01:30 PM.

let's go back and re-visit the op

Remind me of the right way to respond to a dog latched onto your arm or leg.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

When I was stationed in Taiwan, we inherited a mutt from a neighbor GI who figmoed back to the world. The dog had been passed on like that for a while. That dog made an obvious distinction between the locals and we GIs. And I have noticed in both the Asian countries in which I was stationed that the locals do smell differently. The same way our kitchen smelled differently than our Chinese neighbor's. Not racial, just environmental. Different food souces, different cooking methods etc, even different local water supplies, in the case of Taiwan, where we GIs were in the necessary habit of regularly carrying big, five, maybe ten gallon? plastic bottles with us, on the shift bus from where we lived to up on the hill, where the little base had it's own drinking water treatment plant. The local water from the tap downtown would make you sick, and no one didn't carry the jugs back and forth. It would be easy to conclude the dog 'liked' us and didn't 'like' the Taiwanese. Observable whatever the underlying cause. The local guys who were known as 'buy-sell men' would come to the door looking to sign a purchase agreement to get our appliances when we got our orders, or the guy who wheeled the big cart with the fresh food and convenience store items, hawking them door to door, always elicited a different response from the dog than any American who happened to show up at our apartment. At the same time, as poor as we were, we could afford the common practice of hiring an 'ahma' as a regular babysitter, housekeeper, cook, who was Taiwanese, and became enough of a family member for the dog to recognize as such. Dogs seem simple minded to us, but there's more complex stuff in their dog minds than we might know, I think. Wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow train a good boy to distinguish between Democrats and Republicans and Independents.

The act of picking up a rock does miracles for aggressive stray dogs. I learned that quickly aged 8 in Greece.. being a perfect dinner for regrouped packs of longstanding strays in the hills above Athens. I'm not sure if it would have much effect on an expensive pure bred accessory dog. He needs to have had rocks thrown at home several times to know what it means.

Feeding and befriending is a good option were it only you in danger, but will do nothing for your contractors or others.

A dog like that needs to be made subservient to you and recognise you as dominant to it whilst on your property.

The cheese ball bearings and the finger up his butt for the win, Jim has it..

Seriously though. Not making eye contact is the recessive move...not what you want. Hang out with him, spend time moving slowly, making low soft noises and walking around but not AT him. Piss everywhere too. He is on YOUR turf. Do not threaten him. Calm him. Do not act afraid, keep calm. Dogs need to learn stuff just like humans. Some help from his owner would go a long way too...have him call his dog back from your property to be given a treat if he does etc. Stand and talk close to the dogs owner. Show the dog you both are freinds...shake hands a lot etc. All this stuff really works, I trained dogs all through my childhood and teenage years.

Best of luck

Martin.
    Last edited by lupussonic; 09-07-2022 at 02:39 PM.

As far as the eye contact thing. I learned somewhere that you establish dominance by staring them directly in the eye. Stop whatever you're doing and just stare at them, eventually they have to look away, and as soon as they do, you do, too, so that you aren't looking at them when they look back. And that is how they learn you're the top dog and they are only pack members. It works, too.

I was always fascinated by the way wolves became domesticated to become the breeds we now know and Man's best friends, etc. In a wolf pack, there's always the alpha male and female, and when a kill is made, they share with the pack, but only after they first eat their's. If a non alpha tries to get in on the feast out of turn he gets dominated by the alphas with biting. And the key part is that our early ancestors figured that out and learned to share the kill with the wolves when they showed up. Oh, and the sex thing, too, not just food. The alpha pair will prevent the other wolves from getting it on with each other until after the alphas are done. Dominance.

Originally Posted by Rigadog
    Ever been attacked by a dog or dogs?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

Kevin
    only three times, directly

but i've broken up a thousand or more dog fights

rescued hundreds of dogs that were ready to bite

and have probably been bitten three hundred times or more in a clinical environment

after all that i've only ever had to seek medical attention for a dog bite twice

What’s the best way to break up a dog fight?

we use snare poles

if that doesn't work* dry powder or foam fire extinguishers

* if two rottweilers or mastiffs or great danes are fighting and you are by yourself or if you are a small staff member a snare is not gonna help; if its a pile on pack dog fight snares don't work either
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-07-2022 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    we use snare poles

if that doesn't work* dry powder or foam fire extinguishers
    The Taurus Judge or S&W Governor might be easier.

Kevin
    I've been bitten a couple of time, both times it was my fault, trying to break up dog fights.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

In my neighborhood a repairman from the electric company saw a pit bull run down a toddler and take its head into its mouth. The repairman jammed a pipe wrench betweeen the dog's jaws to pry them apart, but it wasn't enough power. So he ran back to his truck, got the Big A pipe wrench, came back and bashed the dog's skull in. Still had to pry the jaws open because the teeth had penetrated the toddler's skull.

Neighbors standing around like cows, the repairman had to call 911 himself, afterwards.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    The Taurus Judge or S&W Governor might be easier.
    we keep fire extinguishers at every entrance to every yard or gate
    i cant think of time that using the extinguisher hasn't worked
    it scares the hell out of the dogs
    and it makes breathing hard
    but its not permanently debilitating

Thanks for the pro tips Paul, never would have thought of the fire extinguisher.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Thanks for the pro tips Paul, never would have thought of the fire extinguisher.
    put the nozzle right up in their mouth if possible, don't be 'conservative' with the trigger

What's the best substrate?

I've been bitten a couple of time, both times it was my fault, trying to break up dog fights.
    So, the answer then, is no, you have never been attacked by a dog. You were never the object of the dogs ire. Never the prey.

People are attacked by stray dogs, often pits. These are powerful animals with the capacity to maim and kill ( Paul's professional experience notwithstanding). I have very little tolerance for such animals, pets or not.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Leash laws are a good start at preventing dog bites. I've told my community that I will call the police when I see a dog running free and I mean it. I love dogs, but I can't stand some of the owners. The owners are the #1 problem.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

So, the answer then, is no, you have never been attacked by a dog. You were never the object of the dogs ire. Never the prey.

People are attacked by stray dogs, often pits. These are powerful animals with the capacity to maim and kill ( Paul's professional experience notwithstanding). I have very little tolerance for such animals, pets or not.

Kevin
    I don't disagree with you. I was chased by dogs as a kid, and yes it was scary but I was on a bike and I luckily out paced them. I wouldn't try that now. As an aside, I have never been a fan of Boxers and every Border Collies I have owned got upset when they see one. They do have a pugnacious look and BCs are very visually reactive. But like most dogs if they are raised well they are probably ok. The issue about the bigger dogs like Rottweilers and mastiffs is that if the do bite it won't be a nip, it will be a lot more consequential.
    Last edited by Rigadog; 09-07-2022 at 03:52 PM.

Owners are indeed the problem, even with "pit bulls". A friend raises them. She's very fussy about to whom she sells them - no thugs looking for a guard dog. Her lawn sign says:

WARNING
    PIT BULLS

WILL LICK YOU

Pit bulls are good dogs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I don't disagree with you. I was chased by dogs as a kid, and yes it was scary but I was on a bike and I luckily out paced them. I wouldn't try that now. As an aside, I have never been a fan of Boxers and every Border Collies I have owned got upset when they see one. They do have a pugnacious look and BCs are very visually reactive. But like most dogs if they are raised well they are probably ok. The issue about the bigger dogs like Rottweilers and mastiffs is that if the do bite it won't be a nip, it will be a lot more consequential.
    Agreed. I did not mean to sound so contentious.

Owners are indeed the problem, even with "pit bulls". A friend raises them. She's very fussy about to whom she sells them - no thugs looking for a guard dog. Her lawn sign says:

WARNING
    PIT BULLS

WILL LICK YOU
    Agree, but the OP established that the dog in question just happens to be a pit ( Who'd a thunk it?) and it is a problem.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post

WARNING
    PIT BULLS

WILL LICK YOU
    I still remember 25 years ago walking down the sidewalk in Newark, DE. Walking toward me was a man (I use the term advisedly) walking his pit bull. The pit wasn't on a leash; it was on a chain.

Picture that - a metal chain used to walk his dog.

Now you tell me who the problem was, man or dog?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Mom rescued the world's only viscous golden retriever. Previous owner even floated his canines. Named "Clancy", of course. Mom adored him because he made groundhog killing his specialty. Unable to tear them, Clancy would get his death grip on the critter's shoulders, take him to a stone wall, and bash him to death. And all the while Mom from her horse voicing and on her horn blowing an encouraging "Exultant".

^ Can I borrow that dog?

How about a tranquiliser in a hot dog pattie?