Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog’s gone bad

Default Dog’s gone bad

Remind me of the right way to respond to a dog latched onto your arm or leg. Assuming I don’t have a gun on me (likely not when working).

Choke it, lift it off the ground, eyes?

There’s a big boxer/pit feeling pretty territorial out at my place. They tell me he pulled down and killed a whitetail deer. I mark the place whenever I’m around but apparently not enough.

He chased off one of my contractors. Not going to shoot it pre-emptively. Would create too much tension with whichever neighbor it belongs to.

Default Re: Dog’s gone bad

have you tried throwing a handful of gravel?

you might be surprised at how conservative a big bad dog can be. they don't like owies.

Not yet. But will. I don’t really mind him patrolling the property when I’m out.

Is there an animal control officer in your area?
    Is there a leash law?
    Any law about letting potentially dangerous dogs wander about.
    It might be a good idea to remind the owner of the serious legal troubles if your dog attacks
    and injures/kills a person?
    I wouldn't ever turn my back on a pit, no matter how many people tell me they are harmless.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Often a dog like that has already been hit by a thrown rock and merely bending over like you were picking one up will usually do it.
    And if it hasn't it should have.
    I would start now and not fool with gravel, a rock or two about a pound or so should get his attention.
    A stick/club also works. Most dogs won't fool with a man holding a walking stick...

i was trying to be nice in case peta is watching.

i trained the neighbors dogs to not f*** with my cows using drain rock. not 3/4 minus.

About the size of a raggedy and sharp golf ball

Halberd is an ancient and fearsome weapon! Works on dogs and knights on horseback!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

or an irwin claw hammer
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

No laws to speak of. Country.

Mostly curious what the proper technique is. The videos of pits latched on are impressive. It would take while with a knife.

Paint ball gun?

Halt! pepper spray. Or even better, Bear spray (that might be overkill for a dog, though).

Don't get this stuff on your skin. DAMHIKT.

Looks like they're rebranding Halt! as K-9 Stopper.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225
    No laws to speak of. Country.
    What country? Doesn't every county in the U.S. have a dog warden? Is it different in Tejas?
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

That's what the mailman carries.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

If it is a dangerous as you say... if it wanders onto your property have the authorities capture or shoot it. Is your neighbor homicidal?
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

That dog, if it was my neighbor's and wandering loose around here would be getting fed, maybe bacon, until it wagged it's tail whenever it saw me.
    Dogs are pretty easy to train.

Your property? Kill it on your property and the neighbor be damned.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Around here, it would likely end up as turtle food in a drainage ditch and the owner would never know what happened to it. My father would have recommended a 12 gauge loaded with rock salt as a warning shot.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post

Mostly curious what the proper technique is.
    #1 don't get taken to the ground
    #2 don't get bitten in the face, neck, or throat
    #3 even if it means getting bitten, getting your hand on their lower jaw will give you some bit of control
    #4 shove your hand down their throat as far as possible and you will eventually interfere with their ability to breath
    #5 screaming like a bitch, besides being poor form, also inflames an attacking dogs prey drive
    #6 do not allow yourself to be take to the ground no matter what
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-06-2022 at 10:11 PM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Figure out who the owner is. Start there. Ask some questions. Take the issue straight to the real problem. I also like the bacon ploy. That dog will think that good things happen when you’re around. All dogs are good dogs. Someone told me that once.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

It's a serious problem. When we lived in New Zealand, there were several cases of children being injured or killed by pitbulls.

Dogs Attack and Kill Mail Carrier in Florida, Officials Say

Pamela Jane Rock had been out delivering mail when her vehicle broke down in Putnam County, Fla. Then, five dogs attacked her, the authorities said.

By Eduardo Medina
    Aug. 23, 2022

Mary Campbell glanced out the window of her Florida home on Sunday afternoon, trying to figure out where the muffled cries for help were coming from. She heard them again, this time a bit louder, though clearly coming far from her house: “Help!”

A few minutes later, she saw an ambulance and sheriff’s deputies drive down the rural dirt road that makes up Walker Drive in Putnam County, and park beside the house where five combative dogs lived, she said.

Soon, neighbors learned the grim details of what had occurred, according to the authorities: A mail carrier whose vehicle had broken down had been attacked by five dogs.

She died the next day.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/23/us/florida-mail-carrier-dog-attack.html

When I had a newspaper delivery route (first by bicycle, then on a moped) I carried a squirtgun with a mix of water and household ammonia.

Dogs that tried to bite me or latched onto my canvas paperbags would get a dose.

Once was enough. There was one bulldoggish critter that I nailed, that would sneeze every time I went by.

The advice from the dog whisperer, Caesar Milan is "No touch, no talk and no eye contact" also maintain a calm assertive but not aggressive energy. Easier said than done in the presence of a pit bull.

I truly hate aggressive dogs. How dare their owners allow them to roam free.
    I'm not a dog hater but despise the ones that threaten me.
    Of course, in my long carpentry career, I've only been bitten once, by a dog the size of a big rat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I concur with Yeadon (once more confirming his sign off line). Start with diplomacy and ask around to find who owns it. Roaming dogs are also at risk of being hit by cars. It may devolve that your only option is SSS, shoot, shovel, shut up, but that is a last resort; it is too hot to dig a big hole in Texas in the summer.

RN, 1804 pattern.

Firecrackers?
    Slingshot?
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

Get some sausage, stuff ball bearings and cheese into the casing, and feed them like Canoeyawl suggests. The cheese will constipate the dog and the steel bearings will back up and he'll start to waddle and become fixated on trying to drop the deuce. Then get yourself a ginormous electro-magnet and when he gets on your property, hit the switch. When the owner comes looking for him, invite him in for sausages. When the cops come, be ready with cheese and bearing stuffed donuts.

Thanks all. I don’t want to hurt it if not necessary.

We hired a new manager years ago. She brought a big plate of bacon to her first meeting. Instantly loved by all. May give that a try. And if I do get bit, be assured I’ll scream in a appropriate and manly fashion.

He chased off one of my contractors. Not going to shoot it pre-emptively. Would create too much tension with whichever neighbor it belongs to.
    Thanks all. I don’t want to hurt it if not necessary.
    How are you going to feel if it bites one of your family, friends, or contractors?

There is no obligation to tolerate an aggressive animal on your own land. You and the people who visit you should be safe there. In fact, there is no excuse for the animal even being on your property. Where I live, that's a violation of the law and the owner is held responsible.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    How are you going to feel if it bites one of your family, friends, or contractors?

There is no obligation to tolerate an aggressive animal on your own land. You and the people who visit you should be safe there. In fact, there is no excuse for the animal even being on your property. Where I live, that's a violation of the law and the owner is held responsible.
    If I remember right, when I lived in Oregon, part of that law including being allowed to shoot it.

My science teacher in seventh grade told the story of when he was a kid, he and his neighborhood classmates would have to walk past a house that had a dog that was often loose, and would chase them for a block or two. They'd be walking by, see the dog coming, and break into a run, with the dog snapping at their heels. He said one of his chums remarked that even though it was a menace and scary, it was a beautiful animal, an Irish setter with a luxuriant reddish coat. One day, near the end of the chase as the dog reached the invisible boundary of his territory, one of the boys abruptly turned around and launched a powerful kick, catching the dog right in the center of his chest. The dog was stunned and actually fell to the ground, dead. The other runners all came back and were standing over it, shocked, with mixed emotions about the chronic threat being gone and the tragedy of a dead dog, and the surprising result of the unexpected defensive counter-attack.

A moment later as they were standing around it, the owner came rushing out of the house, obviously distraught, and they all continued to just stand there more or less silently as the owner knelt by the dog. And this one chum who had admired the dog, piped up and said, 'hey, mister, now that he's dead... can we have his coat?'

When my family lived in Boron, in the Mojave Desert, our small tract of company housing had no fences, and my little brother Pete, a toddler, got blind-sided by a dog who bit him, and then ran off. I can't recall the actual incident but I think our older brother, Tom, rescued Pete and chased off the dog. Pete wasn't hurt badly but the dog bite did draw blood, and without catching the dog to check it for rabies, Pete had to undergo the excrutiating two week regimen of daily anti-rabies shots. Fourteen days in a row, at lunch time when my dad came home to get him. Big needle shot right into his abdomen. He was pre-school age but old enough to talk, not really old enough to understand about rabies and the dire necessity of the shots, and on about the third day, when my dad got home for lunch at noon, to take Pete to the doctor's office, Pete looked up at dad and said just matter-of-factly, 'I don't think we should go to the doctor's today. Let's just stay home.' It broke my parents up.

A few years later, after we had moved back to LA, there was a family that lived across the street from us in our residential housing development, who owned a pair of either boxers or great danes. I only recall that both animals were big as horses and the new one was brindle. Apparently some part of their family actually had a ranch or farm where they bred them, and had, IIRC, fifty of them. So the neighbors had one huge one as a regular pet, and we all knew and respected it, and they had just brought home another one, the same size, full-grown but still young, and apparently not well acclimated to humans, or at least children. One day the kid who was my age, third grade, was in his yard with the two giant dogs off leash, and teasing the new one, yanking on it's tail, just as my other younger brother, Steven, was on the sidewalk, riding past on his tricycle. The dog, wound up with the mild abuse he was getting from the neighbor kid, turned and suddenly bit my brother right on his face. The dog got pulled off pretty quickly, but not before tearing a big, bloody ragged hole in Steven's cheek.

My other brothers and I were also outside playing with other neighbor kids and saw the attack from across the street. Again, it was Tom that got to Steven first, just as Mom came running out when she heard the scream. I think the neighbor had the dog put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    If I remember right, when I lived in Oregon, part of that law including being allowed to shoot it. ...
    Those were interesting stories. Also, I'll admit that I've never heard of an aggressive Irish Setter. That's a surprise to me.

I'll just say that I would not keep a dog that will bite anyone. Barking at someone entering the house is one thing, but biting is another. Outside, I want it to wag its tail and call the kids over to play.

Those of you who advocate throwing a rock at it are apparently better at throwing than I am.

Jeff

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

When I was 15 or 16 or so, I would sometimes ride my bike into town. I had to pass a shotgun house that a black family lived in and they had a dog that always chased me. I would always go past there as fast as I could. One day, I was going past as fast as I could and the dog came at me. I kicked at it and with the bike speed and my leg speed and the closing speed of the dog, my kick caught it under it's jaw and actually lifted the front of the dog off the ground. That dog never chased me again.

can't believe how violent these responses are.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen