Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no bad pizza

Default Re: no bad pizza

Anyone watching the "Chef's Table: Pizza" series on netflix?
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

i saw it go by in the program feed last night
    kat saw it too and quickly turned a chick flik on before she thought i had seen it as an option
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I've got a friend who just got one of those Ooni pizza ovens - the results he's been getting mak it look like it might have to get on "the list".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Dear Lord... Shakey's Pizza!!! The very first pizza I ever had as a youngster. Only pizza joint in our tiny rural Oregon town for many years.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So Paul I Just started watching episode #1 of chefs Table on Netflix is on Pizza and the #1 Pizza is in Phoenix AZ

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 2.21.09 PM.jpg

BTW the guys from NYC and MOVED to PHX

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292981
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    and the #1 Pizza is in Phoenix AZ

i've been trying to tell you this for like three years now

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i've been trying to tell you this for like three years now

Also I'm coming, I'm Coming

at this exact moment, i'm preparing duck confit from whole duck with spine removed, which will when completely rendered be used to make cassoulet tomorrow, with the thighs wings and legs crisped under a broiler

as soon as i get this dutch oven into the oven i will sit down and watch that episode

yah i know, i've met him, he's been here like thirty years and he still sounds just like you

is there like a class in junior high where new yorkers are taught how to turn that **** on and off?
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-09-2022 at 04:33 PM.

It's a fascinating episode !!!

Its funny as I live in SoCal over the last 6 years my NY accent is getting worse. People always ask "where are you from?" I'm like haven't evah watched a fookin movie ?

It's a fascinating episode !!!
    yeah that was beautiful, love that guy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    at this exact moment, i'm preparing duck confit from whole duck with spine removed, which will when completely rendered be used to make cassoulet tomorrow, with the thighs wings and legs crisped under a broiler

as soon as i get this dutch oven into the oven i will sit down and watch that episode

At this moment I'm crushing DOP San Marzano tomatoes, EVOO, pressed garlic, chiffonade ( I had you ) Basil making a pomodoro for some Tagliatelle e' pomodoro for dinner. Alas no Brunello Reserva to quench my Tuscan thirst

Things I’ve learned about pizza this week, using a creamy dipping sauce i.e. ranch is a thing, and the Boston Pizza chain has discovered a way to bake a pizza in a pizza oven and minutes later have it arrive at table ice cold.

So Paul I Just started watching episode #1 of chefs Table on Netflix is on Pizza and the #1 Pizza is in Phoenix AZ

Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 2.21.09 PM.jpg

https://www.netflix.com/title/81292981
    Apart from anything else, that looks so nice!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

DOP San Marzano tomatoes
    canned tomatoes? in prime tomato season? i'm sure the dish is good but that is winter food.

26C9390D-F3BE-4AFB-BEC8-89EB30D12647.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Oh, lemme tell ya. There IS bad pizza. In Olympia for the tug boat fest, we went to The Spar cafe. Itís an old restaurant, pool hall and smoke shop that has been around forever. My dad used to take me there when I was five. Itís now been taken over by McMinnimens chain. I order the omnivore pizza. At least thatís what it was called on the menu. It was the gloppiest mess of bad red sauce and cheese like substance and some limp pepperoni on an even limper piece of dough thatís ever been called pizza. The waitress brought a box in case I wanted to take it home. I left the box and the pizza there for her to clean up. Still tipped her, wasnít her fault.
    Go try Veraís in Ballard on 20th. The old breakfast place is now pizza and beer. Iím not a fan of the remodel, but the pizza is for real. Best Iíve had in Seattle in a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

You know you can freeze tomatoes rather than blanch them to remove the skin? Itís wild. Just freeze them, and when they thaw, the skin slides right off.

This thread just brought to mind one of the worst pizzas I ever had. It was in the late 70's, and we were camping in the Thousand Islands (Canadian side). We went into Kingston for a pizza, as we were tired of camping food. The menu seemed strange; no meats offered at all. We got tomato and mushroom, which was slices of tomato and mushrooms laid on the dough and covered with cheese. That's it; no sauce, seasoning, meat. The waitress could tell we were less than impressed. She said when we want pizza, we go to the States.

Not long after 9/11, the Border Patrol shut down the open border between Derby Line VT & Stanstead Quebec. The 2 towns were really more like one - with the border often running down the middle of a street - so getting a cup of sugar from a neighbor meant crossing the border. This was never worried about until 9/11. After that, no more crossing without driving down to the crossing & then back to the house 200 ft. away from you.

Anyway, a guy was "apprehended" by the BP crossing the border on foot, not at a crossing, and carrying a large pizza. When asked what he was doing, he replied "What's it look like? I just picked up a pizza for dinner." The BP agent started to lecture him & the guy replied that the place he'd picked it up from in Stanstead has always had the best pizza in town & he wasn't going to stop going there. The BP agent tried to explain that he'd illegally crossed an international border & the guy told him to bugger off, as he'd been doing it for many years & would continue to.

Anyway, the man refused to pay any fine & spent a few months in jail. When he got out, guess what he did?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Here in the UK we have unfortunately many of the US strains of pizza, dominos pizza hut, Papa John's etc.
    I've never been in any nor ordered from any...
    I have however sampled their wares.. a couple of times a year the American company I work for would order in for everyone.. sort of passable not great .

In the past however working for another company as a field service engineer, in one town I'd chose to stay in an Italian owned and run Hotel, they had a pizzeria in the building as well as the restaurant .
    Proper pizzas made to order and even better paid for by the company.
    Just an amateur bodging away..