Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no bad pizza

Default no bad pizza

this one came out of a small cast iron skillet
    sausage and tomato
    toasted ale to wash down with
    nap followed

B8D72E26-34FC-45F2-9B4A-5098D1BDDF0C.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: no bad pizza

Trolling Joe by chance?

Looks good!

Speaking of bad pizza, the grandkids wanted Dominos pizza the other night - we refused.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Can't argue. I had cold pizza for breakfast this morning. Kids got Domino's delivered last night, and I was too sickly to want any. But it worked just fine for breakfast. I never order from Domino's, and they rarely do. But occasionally they say they want to be reminded of college <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

cold pizza, hot coffee, the breakfast of champions....

i don't get all the hating on dominos.

it's almost like you've never had little caesars.

pizza pizza

pan pan

it’s a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post

Excellent point.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I don't think I have. Had Papa John's once. Will steer well clear of another encounter. If I don't want to buy one of the stupendous artisanal pizzas that are scattered around Portland... I'll normally bake one from Papa Murphy's. Perfectly fine, sometimes very good.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

We've ordered our last Domino's pizza. I won't even tell you what we paid for two spinach and feta pizzas a few weeks ago. Three nights ago we made our own for pennies and they were as good or better. We wanted easy, but not at that price! And ours were almost as easy as ordering.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

...spinach and feta...
    I think I've spotted the problem. Maybe go for omelets with that combo. Or salad.

I'm not Joe, and I'm not a food snob, but pizza is tomato sauce on top of the round dough, and lots of the kind of cheeze that strings when it's melted, put other stuff on top as you feel moved, mushrooms, sausage etc. or not.

And breakfast sausage with gravy and stuff sounds delicious but call it pizza with quotes. Like a wooden boat, it's hard to make bad pizza if you follow the basic recipe and use quality ingredients. And I'm all for food evolution and invention, because if it weren't for that we'd still be chasing down small rodents on the savannah.

And the OP works for me. Now I'm sad we're having chicken tacos for dinner. Sorta.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Now I'm sad we're having chicken tacos for dinner. Sorta.
    well i would just be happy if my chickens would cook for me

i mean, just a meal now and then. nothing fancy.

tacos would be fine

after all i’ve done for them

There actually _is_ bad pizza. The stuff in the cast iron pan ain’t it, however.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Cool Re: no bad pizza

Pizza is like sex.
    Even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    I think I've spotted the problem. Maybe go for omelets with that combo. Or salad.
    I like variety and I tell myself I'm eating healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    Pizza is like sex.
    I keep looking for a woman who says this, but I haven't found one so far. I will keep looking.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    Pizza is like sex.
    Well, not if you've eaten "tanned" canned bacon and pineapple on Kraft Parmesan cheese with an unseasoned tomato paste sauce on one of those packet crust mixes cooked in an under-heated wood stove's oven in the Maine woods. I'm tellin' ya Kev - your mind would be changed on that thought.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Had a very nice slice from Waterfront Pizza in Port Townsend today, walked up just as they were pulling the pies out of the oven to open for the day. Neither the hotdog guy or Tommyknockers were open.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I like little Caesar's....it's terrible pizza but it's pretty good .....little Caesar's. and only 5 bucks? Sign me up!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Early in my theater days living in Chicago I'd get a two-pizza box and ride the motorcycle home with it balanced in my lap. Not great pizza, just cheap and easy.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Cool Re: no bad pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Well, not if you've eaten "tanned" canned bacon and pineapple on Kraft Parmesan cheese with an unseasoned tomato paste sauce on one of those packet crust mixes cooked in an under-heated wood stove's oven in the Maine woods. I'm tellin' ya Kev - your mind would be changed on that thought.
    Not if you had good beer.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Logically anthing that looks enough like pizza to jnclude it in a discussion of pizza, but is bad enough to conclude it’s bad pizza, is not actually pizza at all, and it should be called something else. Taking a hint from Michael Pollan, call it ‘a pizza-like substance.’

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

Early in my theater days living in Chicago I'd get a two-pizza box and ride the motorcycle home with it balanced in my lap. Not great pizza, just cheap and easy.
    i like how they show a bowl of fresh mushrooms. behind a pizza made with canned mushrooms.

Nope, just nope
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Ever since my cardiologist started ruling my life, I try to eat only very good pizza. Mostly, we make it at home, but a local place has a birthday club where you get a free pizza up to $25. Arteries be damned; it's free pizza (and pretty good, too!)

Here, it's two hours' pay for a 13.5" basic pizza.

I get the hating - it's a massive rip-off.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I like little Caesar's....it's terrible pizza but it's pretty good .....little Caesar's. and only 5 bucks? Sign me up!
    that's just the diet talking skip! don't do it!

Oh, lemme tell ya. There IS bad pizza. In Olympia for the tug boat fest, we went to The Spar cafe. Itís an old restaurant, pool hall and smoke shop that has been around forever. My dad used to take me there when I was five. Itís now been taken over by McMinnimens chain. I order the omnivore pizza. At least thatís what it was called on the menu. It was the gloppiest mess of bad red sauce and cheese like substance and some limp pepperoni on an even limper piece of dough thatís ever been called pizza. The waitress brought a box in case I wanted to take it home. I left the box and the pizza there for her to clean up. Still tipped her, wasnít her fault.

I have been attempting to learn to make pizza. The handling of the dough is the toughest part. Mixing is OK, letting it prove is easy (just takes time), and then comes the shaping.... Let's just say that sometimes the pie comes out mostly round and has a uniform thickness, and other times it doesn't. But I manage to get them all onto the stone or grill and they cook more or less as they're supposed to. And (mostly) all have been great to eat. Of course I use fresh ingredients, which helps a lot. I have a ways to go before I can begin to call myself adequate let alone, proficient.

Sometimes I wish I had a mess of teenagers living with us, just so I could have an excuse to practice making pizza. As it is, my wife and I can only eat just so much. So progress is slow. (NO... this is not an invitation for anyone to send a bunch of kids our way!)

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I have been attempting to learn to make pizza. The handling of the dough is the toughest part. Mixing is OK, letting it prove is easy (just takes time), and then comes the shaping.... Let's just say that sometimes the pie comes out mostly round and has a uniform thickness, and other times it doesn't. But I manage to get them all onto the stone or grill and they cook more or less as they're supposed to. And (mostly) all have been great to eat. Of course I use fresh ingredients, which helps a lot. I have a ways to go before I can begin to call myself adequate let alone, proficient.

Sometimes I wish I had a mess of teenagers living with us, just so I could have an excuse to practice making pizza. As it is, my wife and I can only eat just so much. So progress is slow. (NO... this is not an invitation for anyone to send a bunch of kids our way!)

Jeff
    Gosh.... wish I'd seen this earlier. *They Might* already be in the mail.....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I think you guys are purposely ignoring my last sentence.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    Pizza-Spread.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    -William A. Ward