Thread: Got an odd letter in the mail today

Default Got an odd letter in the mail today

Today there was a hand addressed letter in the mail from a person I had never heard of. The letter said the person wanted to buy my house and gave me contact information. I looked the person up and it is a real estate investor in North Carolina. I am tempted to say something in response along the lines of - sold for $100,000,000.00 cash. My wife doesn't think I should respond. Despite living on a well marked private road we get lots of tourists driving/walking down our road, so I suppose it was inevitable that something like this would happen. The private road doesn't matter much when the land owner on the other side of the road makes a big deal about that land being open to the public. They do charge $30 to go on their land, but unfortunately several million people take them up on that offer every year. No matter what, it is a strange sort of letter to get.

So is this the new way of shopping for property - go on vacation, walk around looking at houses, look the addresses up in the town records and write to the people telling then you want to buy their house.

Default Re: Got an odd letter in the mail today

He probably has a local agent. I would not respond, personally, although there is little harm if you do. You'd just be acknowledging a nuisance that you want to go away.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

We get those all the time in Seattle. Just agents fishing for sales. We trash them.

Two million bucks plus his youngest daughter, done deal

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Two million bucks plus his youngest daughter, done deal
    Just make sure the daughter is over 18!!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Happened several times to my sister, from private individuals. Only prob, they could not find something smaller they liked in the area. Finally did, around three years ago, so sold the rather nice, but large, Elizabethan place and settled in a more modern and easier spot.

Happens a lot in my hood.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Many spam calls, texts, and letters. All the time. If you respond, they will know they have a “live” contact. More will follow.

And the fake handwritten letters are getting better and better.

I get that. Phone calls too. I told one guy I would indeed sell the house for a cash offer. $10,000,000 US. He hung up
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

I've had letters like that which say they have a buyer for my property, upon investigation it turns out to be a real estate agency looking for listings. I told them I dont deal with dishonest advertisers.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

We get about two every month. Alas, I no longer have a birdcage to line.

to all such unsolicited calls i say, " can you hold on for just a second while i get my wife?" then i put the phone down near a radio or tv and walk away for several minutes
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I think this, which happens here at least three times a month, is part of the corporate buying of homes they then rent, which makes it more and more difficult for young couples to buy homes.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    ....So is this the new way of shopping for property - go on vacation, walk around looking at houses, look the addresses up in the town records and write to the people telling then you want to buy their house.
    They wouldn't even have to walk down your street. The town or county real estate assessments are public record, and in most cases are online. They could just do a search from their own office -- say for properties over a certain assessed value -- and send letters to all. It would only take one big commission to make the effort worthwhile.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Not uncommon here. It started out as low-end house-flippers sending out postcards with boilerplate. Now it's gotten far more sophisticated. Round file material.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

My wifes oldest sister and her husband were looking at buying a small house near the water at Coffs Harbour last week- only about a million and a half. They already live in Coffs but wanted a change of scenery. They were thinking it was a done deal and then got a phone call to say the house was sold- an American bought it online for a hundred grand over the asking price, sight unseen. Bloody foreigners. JayInOz

Someone left a note on our boat asking to buy it. I'm keeping their address for someday in the future.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Just make sure the daughter is over 18!!
    Tell him you only want her for sex

Quote Originally Posted by Todd D View Post
    They do charge $30 to go on their land, but unfortunately several million people take them up on that offer every year.
    Wait! What they are making over $30 Million a year just to allow people to walk on their land? Dude you need to get on that program quick!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Wait! What they are making over $30 Million a year just to allow people to walk on their land? Dude you need to get on that program quick!
    My next door neighbor is Acadia National Park. I am currently sitting less than 100 feet from the park boundary. They had over 4 million visitors last year.

I have no intention of actually responding to the letter. Maybe in a few years if my wife dies before I do.

for John Smith - unless they have a trust fund a young couple can't afford a house here at it is now. Almost the entire area is owned by wealthy retirees, summer people who want second homes at the ocean or investors who buy houses for the summer weekly rental market.

Oh! gotcha!

I understood the spam part of the letter.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I get those. The handwriting is obviously machine generated.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com