Thread: Idaho book banning

Default Idaho book banning

A group of residents and parents are going to board meetings ARMED demanding that 400 books be removed from the library.

The insurance carrier is threatening to drop the insurance that the library needs.

Librarians are quitting because they feel unsafe.

And none of the 400 books are actually in that library!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ar...ks/vi-AA11prUQ
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Idaho book banning

dse
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We may have some rednecks down this way, but those folks out west? Bat$hit crazy.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    We may have some rednecks down this way, but those folks out west? Bat$hit crazy.
    I wouldn't raise that comparison if I were you.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

So it seem that none of them have actually been in the library……………… and armed?, Making demands?
    Seems to me that should constitute making threats whilst armed………...

^ This is what amazes me. They get all wound up to the point of carrying a gun into a public meeting where they make demands, but they haven't checked on the facts.

Then the video shows a woman going through the racks to see if there are other books that need to get banned.

They really do wind themselves up.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Has she a list? Where is that from? And would she recognise one anyhow?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    ^ This is what amazes me. They get all wound up to the point of carrying a gun into a public meeting where they make demands, but they haven't checked on the facts.

Then the video shows a woman going through the racks to see if there are other books that need to get banned.

They really do wind themselves up.
    Facts haven't mattered for a number of years.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Facts haven't mattered for a number of years.
    Because they've paid into the umbrage and outrage, and bought the idea that government has overlooked them in favor of rich Democrats, and invested in the R notion of total winning, them or us. Of course the Ds and all the evil pedos are infiltrating the schools and will cancel all our stuff if we don't stop them at all costs. Why else come armed? Except to bully, and have a hormone gorged moment of righteous glory ready to shoot lefties.

The community has organized a quiet protest in the form of sitting outside and reading. I like that.

Conservatives join liberals in 'quiet and polite' Idaho protest to protect their library from book-banners (msn.com)

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    And none of the 400 books are actually in that library!
    So their demands were met.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    So their demands were met.
    That would be funny if they hadn't come into the meeting carrying guns.

Stupid and armed is a bad combination.

Coming armed, in my opinion, was an implied threat if not a direct one. Fall in with our demands or else.

It’s called intimidation.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Coming armed, in my opinion, was an implied threat if not a direct one. Fall in with our demands or else.
    They were channeling Moe.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    It’s called intimidation.
    Hell yes!!!

Meanwhile all those books are almost certainly available online. Such dimwits to think anyone (their own children included) couldn't get access in seconds if they wanted.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

I would like to see their list.

Meanwhile all those books are almost certainly available online.
    You can leave out 'almost'. Taking a book out of a library hasn't really been an effective way to restrict access for over a decade. Idiots.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

so much stupidity and fear

And safe in their group of like-minded folk they transmogrify the fear into hate and rage and reinforce it with each other to shore up their feeling righteous and indignant about their butt hurt. Alone in an interrogation room any one of them would fold and quake, the confidence evaporated.

I like the anti-R meme going around, where the libs commenting have made a pun out their fixation with Hillary, “but her emails,” phonetically into ‘buttery males,’ those precious big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson;[URL="tel:6721389"
    6721389[/URL]]You can leave out 'almost'. Taking a book out of a library hasn't really been an effective way to restrict access for over a decade. Idiots.
    It doesn’t matter. This is the pitchfork and scythe vigilante mentality. You know, a well regulated militia.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    It doesn’t matter. This is the pitchfork and scythe vigilante mentality. You know, a well regulated militia.
    Right. A performance, to make them feel brave and virtuous and fierce. And to scare people they don't like.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Spread the word.

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....