Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unreliable, rare, or non-existing

Default Re: unreliable, rare, or non-existing

Ages ago, a friend of mine and I did a 2-week backpacking trip in the Wind River Range, south of the Tetons, near Pinedale, Wyoming. It was late July and the Winds usually still have lots of snow and ice. Most of the trip was going to be above 11,000 feet and treeline, so we had heavy packs, 75 pounds or so.

First day out, the trail climbed about 5,000 feet over 6-7 miles. About a mile or so in, when the forest turned into a burn, we discovered (and nobody in town had mentioned), that it had all burned off in a forest fire the year before. That was the most miserable hike I've ever done. Blistering hot. No shade. No water save what we had in our packs. And the charcoal. I still have those boots, and they are still stained with the charcoal.

It was worth it, though, when we finally made it to the top and left the burn beautiful lake surrounded by trees.

It's beautiful country, hundreds of lakes. Back in the 1920s, some crazy guy spent his summers taking mules loaded with barrels of water and fingerling trout of all different species brown trout, brook trought, rainbow trout, ... and stocking the lakes, so now all the lakes have trout.

We set up camp by the lake and discovered that with 1 or 2 casts with a Mepp's spinner on my light spinning rod, you'd have a 12 or 15 inch brook trout. We feasted on trout the whole trip, though on our way back down, they stopped taking the spinners: there was a mayfly hatch on and that's all they were interested in.

Not my pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    In Kodiak, they told me that the 44 magnum was better than nothing. But recommended larger. No fun to hike with irl.
    A friend of ours did the fieldwork for her Phd in forestry on Kodiak Island. They rotated shifts as pickets on the lookout for bears. The issue weapon was a bolt-action .375 Holland & Holland Magnum.

Louise is about 5-foot nothing, so the pictures of her with that rifle slung over her shoulder are fairly amusing.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Speaking of bears ... yesterday morning under an old apple tree by the house:

bear 220902-01.jpg

I put a camera there because I'd found large bear scat under the tree and noticed the broken limb. Neighbor saw a cub last night and we've both been finding large bear scat, so we think this is probably a sow with cub(s). I'm going out now to put a hotwire around that apple tree hoping a good zap might send her elsewhere.

when you say, "large bear scat"???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

she's a beauty btw
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Cub visited last night. (Time/date stamp is wrong.)

bear220903-01.jpg

Eating an apple:

bear220903-02.jpg

Problem is though, it's on the wrong side of the hotwire that I put up. Unreliable.
    Not sure how it pulled that off. The fence was still intact and I couldn't tell by tracks where or how it got inside. Jumping bear?
    This evening I'll rake the ground smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    when you say, "large bear scat"???

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin View Post
    We have a few in Australia like that. Here's one I did in the summer of 1979/80. I recall it as one of the most dehydrating moments of my life... and there's been a few more of those than is healthy. Word of advice. Take more water.
    for me, that was AZ.. but Texas Canyon (s. of you, Paul - and with your legs, NOT recommended - I was 30ish and fit - we (my partners were army, younger, and fit) were jumping Huge bolder to bolder!). I remember getting back to the jeep, lifting the cooler of melted ice water, and slowly dribbling it over my head as I also sipped some. Phew. That was fun! Glad I did it.. never again!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    In Kodiak, they told me that the 44 magnum was better than nothing. But recommended larger. No fun to hike with irl.
    An acquaintance who lives in Seward, Alaska was debating about picking up a .454 Causull to carry when hiking. I pointed out that a 12 oz steak would be lighter and might at least detract a bear's attention while he got away instead of pissing it off.