Thread: Storage on dock ideas?

Default Storage on dock ideas?

For 10 months of the year I occupy a place with a dock ...starting tomorrow. It's on the ocean, so salt water.
    I kept my Shellback on the dock under a tarp with a boom crutch and a ridgepole
    I sailed all through teh fall winter and spring and having the boat right there made it pretty convenient. The dock (which isn't in the best of condition) has a lower angled section which facilitates pulling the boat onto the dock.

My Gartside 130 is 80lbs heavier but I think I can still drag it on and off the dock.
    However we get sone decent storm in the winter with strong northerly outflows and though there is some protection from the south there is little from the north. I would like to have something a little more protective for the 130 to keep rainwater out.

The tarp I had on the Shellback though heavy duty and doubled up, was old and seemed to let water in. I was often bailing the boat out but it was used regularly.

I have a couple of brand new large heavy duty tarps and I'd like to devise a plane for a simple covering that keeps the 130 dry but allows airflow etc.

The 130 came with a custom heavy duty fabric cover.

I was thinking a small but stout, tarp covered wooden A frame attached to the dock, a few feet over length and open at both ends. Boat kept inside with the custom cover on. the boat would be sitting right on the dock, propped on either side with fenders so the shelter could be pretty low, with the boat sliding in and out. I was thinking the tarp cover would be easy to remove so I could tinker with the boat if necessary.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Default Re: Storage on dock ideas?

Your idea sounds like it could work, but being an A-frame with sufficient width to accommodate your boat may make it high enough to catch a lot of wind in a storm.
    Having the structure anchored to the dock will be important. A lot depends on the amount of resources you wish to put into the project.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Which is more of a bother, dealing with a cover when you use the boat or getting rainwater out of the boat?

The several dinghies Iíve had on flat docks over the years could be rolled by one person to get the water out. Alternatively, a transom drain or an Elvstrom (Anderson) bailer can let most of the water out.

I think I would go with a simple cover and very low ridgepole (oars?). Canvas - or cheap poly - lashed down to the dock on either side. Drill a drain hole at the low point, as the boat sits easily, either upright or heeled over.

Could you build your lean-to or shed at the foot of the dock on land, presumably where there is more cover from the weather?

Then just wheel the boat down the dock?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Hey thanks for the ideas. More info:
    boat is 180 lbs cedar on oak clinker sailing dinghy. Not ideal for rolling. I rolled it on tires with a crossbrace while restoring a couple times.
    dock is at the bottom of about 70 steep stairs from the house. Narrow ramp down to the floating dock from land/ very steep rocky incline. I might take it out gor the winter but last year i sailed my shellback right through the winter. it It was great because their were fewer boats and almost no yahoos.

What size area do you have to work with on the dock? This may be a bit outside of the scope of concept but... Harbor Freight offers a mobile carport/garage that is 17 ft. x 10 ft. (they also have a mobile shed that is 10 ft. x 10 ft.) and has full side and end enclosures for about $250. You could anchor the legs down to the dock, even shorten them if you want to present a lower profile, or take a frame out if you want to reduce the length (owing that you would have to modify the included cover in both scenarios) and either open or close the end flap for launching or recovering the boat. But this would also enable you to work on the boat in full protection during the winter with the help of a space heater and some lighting.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-...age-62860.html

Quote Originally Posted by thesaltytar View Post
    ... Harbor Freight offers a mobile carport/garage that is 17 ft. x 10 ft. (they also have a mobile shed that is 10 ft. x 10 ft.) .....
    If you are considering one of these shelters, make sure it will hold up to your worst weather. I had a similar shelter called a "Garage in a Box" for storing my tractor. The instructions said I should remove snow to prevent overloading.

One night it started snowing, and I stayed up until 2 AM sweeping snow. I woke up the next morning to find that a foot of heavy wet snow had collapsed the shelter. It took a lot of digging and disassembly to free the tractor, which of course was supposed to remove snow from the driveway.

Now the tractor lives, along with a boat trailer, in a prefab metal carport which was assembled on site by a crew of 4 guys. The carport made it through a month of snow last winter with flying colors. It sounds like your site has difficult access, so some creativity with the assembly process would be required.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Yes somehow getting prefab ,teal carport to the dock where I live would probably cost several times the purchase price of my boat! However what you say is very worth nothing. Last year we had some snow on the dock, of course less right at sea level and melting quicker, but for the winter I stored my shellback upside down on blocks screwed to the dock, it was lashed to the blocks and taped up. As it was glues lapstrake it seemed fine to have it be it's own 'roof' so to speak and it worked well. Not sure about doing that with this boat.
    We do get some good wind storms and a Lot of rain. I was going to make a low A frame type structured that would be very solid but covered with a heavy duty tarp that I could open up on one side and the end to facilitate sliding the boat in and out when I wished to sail.

Finally designed and put a rough and ready but stout boat tent together on the dock.
    Loosely copied from the giant tent over Tally-ho..haha..really.
    Made almost entirely of free lumber and the tarp I bought for refinishing.
    Purposely low profile about 4.5' high.
    It's pretty sturdy. I sat on the ridge pole and wiggled around.
    My biggest concern is the ancient dock which is actually 3 sections of finger dock set side by side.
    It tends to do a twisty shimmy in wakes and heavy weather. Might be what keeps it together.
    It's be interesting to see if it holds up.
    Mostly protected from the south though and a bit from the North. Facing out North is kind of to the left.
    Wind tends to hit either outside corner of the dock on diagonal
    Winter storms seem to mostly come from the North.

I have to get a bunch of little bungees so I can easily open up the south side. Probably pick up some little tarps to go over the ends in very bad conditions.
    Currently roughly lashed on.
    About 13'6" long 6' wide on the inside.
    Need to add some loops so I can hang the too long 14' mast diagonally under cover and then the fitted boat cover will fit properly.
    The boat rolls in on aluminium pipe rollers quite easily.

Next a ramp off the end

Last edited by Toxophilite; 10-23-2022 at 09:31 PM.

NICE! I can hear her smiling