Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: My circle on a map motorcycle adventure

Default My circle on a map motorcycle adventure

I have 9 days to ride solo inside the circle. I may even go beyond it.

673EAAD7-423E-417E-87EF-859BE602D01E.jpg

at breakfast considering the possibilities

DAA94742-6446-466F-B808-35F3D578CD42.jpg

bike is beautiful. Waiting on the charge.

6324FFB2-90B0-449F-AB8F-0A967350FDC8.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-31-2022 at 02:22 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: My circle on a map motorcycle adventure

Rain showers today. I am leaning towards to doing a day ride to the Ardennes, Bastogne and Waterloo. As a California rider, I fear I may melt despite having the correct riding gear.

Attachment 117962
    I am leaning towards to doing a day ride to the Ardennes, Bastogne and Waterloo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perfect riding weather in N Germany.. around 20c, light winds, bright sunshine.

Wishing you all the best Ted.. will be with you in spirit.

M

Wait! I think there might be two Ted Hoppe on this forum. There circles seem to overlap! Can two bodies occupy the same space?

Best wish Ted2! Have fun be careful!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

go ted go!

following
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I so want to click-and-drag the circle to the east until it includes the transfagarasan highway

so.... Stelvio pass?
    Last edited by Figment; 08-31-2022 at 08:21 AM.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Don’t ride too much.

Outside your circle? Well.... if you're looking for 'adventure', a bit west of northern Denmark should be interesting....
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Gasp! Never leave the circle.
    Nine days, enough time to cover a lot of miles, not enough time to really immerse yourself in a place, its culture and people, unless you're trying to tick off the tourist route bingo card.
    Every time we travel, we add more time than the last time, and cover less miles - two nights minimum in any place remotely worth visiting, and that isn't close to enough usually.
    But I guess it depends on what sort of experience you are looking for - the journey or the destination. Both can be good.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

the man, the legend that is ted hoppe, keeps a spare vintage german motorbike in germany just for traveling in germany

sounds pretty immersive

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Gasp! Never leave the circle.
    Nine days, enough time to cover a lot of miles, not enough time to really immerse yourself in a place, its culture and people, unless you're trying to tick off the tourist route bingo card.
    Every time we travel, we add more time than the last time, and cover less miles - two nights minimum in any place remotely worth visiting, and that isn't close to enough usually.
    But I guess it depends on what sort of experience you are looking for - the journey or the destination. Both can be good.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    the man, the legend that is ted hoppe, keeps a spare vintage german motorbike in germany just for traveling in germany

sounds pretty immersive
    I know, and it sounds like a lot of fun! I really admire Ted for doing what it takes to make these experiences happen, the rides and boats and so on. I just find short hit and run overseas trips increasingly frustrating as I get older, you get to see a lot but never really scratch the surface - and the travel at each end is such a time suck.
    Daughter and SIL start travelling just after Christmas - the other end of the spectrum. Backpacking Santiago to Canada over six months, then on to Europe for at least another year. Not sure I'd have the courage to chuck in my job and sell up and do that, or the stamina to live that lifestyle for that long. This will be their second 12 month stint in Europe, so guess they didn't get enough the first time.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post

Outside your circle? Well.... if you're looking for 'adventure', a bit west of northern Denmark should be interesting....
    We might still be here at that 5 o’clock position stop bye and say hi
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I hear Wrocław is pretty nice...

It's within your circle, too. Stop by and I'll be happy to buy you a beer or three, seriously. It would be fun to meet in person. That's a groovy bike!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I know, and it sounds like a lot of fun! I really admire Ted for doing what it takes to make these experiences happen, the rides and boats and so on. I just find short hit and run overseas trips increasingly frustrating as I get older, you get to see a lot but never really scratch the surface - and the travel at each end is such a time suck.
    Daughter and SIL start travelling just after Christmas - the other end of the spectrum. Backpacking Santiago to Canada over six months, then on to Europe for at least another year. Not sure I'd have the courage to chuck in my job and sell up and do that, or the stamina to live that lifestyle for that long. This will be their second 12 month stint in Europe, so guess they didn't get enough the first time.

Pete
    Pete - thank you for your kind words. In truth I had to dig a little deeper this time. It takes a great effort and the cost of doing this is played out in months as i will salvage what I can with my clients, perils of leaving them with a void while self employed and contemplate a return to some less pleasant side gigs to fill the potholes from all this. Interestingly I recognize how the difference in energy levels I have compared to the last time I did this. With time to think and no electronics including music, I can reflect with such clarity and fall into a perfect motorized zen state.

B9A9231B-FFB3-4356-B4D4-7C22A4F211A5.jpg

Love the fairing on that boxer. Does it help deflect the wind around your torso and helmet?

Have a great ride!

It does make a small difference. In the rain it keep the water from hitting my chest and face screen. I can tuck behind it at speeds over 65 but mostly knocks down some fatigue on longer days. It is pretty cool.
    it is a collectors item as it is one of 4 made that year that bmw made - you will see copies that the dealers and owners have done. Purests can not believe I am riding her. With California plates, European enthusiasts are doing double takes. I also have to be more careful as the bike thefts are up across Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Pete - thank you for your kind words. In truth I had to dig a little deeper this time. It takes a great effort and the cost of doing this is played out in months as i will salvage what I can with my clients, perils of leaving them with a void while self employed and contemplate a return to some less pleasant side gigs to fill the potholes from all this. Interestingly I recognize how the difference in energy levels I have compared to the last time I did this. With time to think and no electronics including music, I can reflect with such clarity and fall into a perfect motorized zen state.

B9A9231B-FFB3-4356-B4D4-7C22A4F211A5.jpg
    Is that the zen state when you suddenly realise you are 50km further down a winding road than you were previously, and can't actually recall any of it? Been there, done that, it's damn spooky!

Pete

Is that the zen state when you suddenly realise you are 50km further down a winding road than you were previously, and can't actually recall any of it? Been there, done that, it's damn spooky!

Pete
    yeah. Spooky but then you know you were in the zone.

Great trip. Trying to find the courage to cut loose and do something like that. Lots of trade offs.

OK Ted we are leaving Italy on Tuesday it’s up to you now to create the euro Travelogue for the forum, lets get cracking

This could be epic
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    OK Ted we are leaving Italy on Tuesday it’s up to you now to create the euro Travelogue for the forum, lets get cracking

This could be epic
    standing by. I want to see your thread have a safe and happy conclusion before I submit my European ride-a-bout.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    It does make a small difference. In the rain it keep the water from hitting my chest and face screen. I can tuck behind it at speeds over 65 but mostly knocks down some fatigue on longer days. It is pretty cool.
    it is a collectors item as it is one of 4 made that year that bmw made - you will see copies that the dealers and owners have done. Purests can not believe I am riding her. With California plates, European enthusiasts are doing double takes. I also have to be more careful as the bike thefts are up across Europe.
    When I bought my R75/7 it had the 3/4 seat USA bars and a Luftmiester fairing. When eventually got around to putting proper S bars (along with a Hannigan fairing) on the bike really came to life. I got one of the last BMW S fairing kits in the US many years ago, all painted up and patiently waiting for me to rebuild the boxed up /6 I have for it. The GS is a better commuter but I'd like a sunny afternoon bike.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

It is hard not to have a wonderful motorcycle adventure in Europe in early September.

It should be said doing it inexpensively and keeping a schedule is hard.

I have goose bumps!

It was three years ago that I rode my beloved. The first morning told me to slow down and take the day to get reacquainted with this great girl.

[video=reacquainted]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dfn9KGh9Gg[/video]

The sun poked out at noon.

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8344.jpg

IMG_8346.jpg

IMG_8345.jpg

Currywurst bomb for lunch

IMG_8347.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-12-2022 at 05:40 PM.

IMG_8349.jpg

68365975941__0D670FDD-0714-43F1-9B1A-947A14857A5F.jpg

The weather was perfect - Outside in the biergarden.

IMG_8355.jpg

IMG_8352.jpg
    (they were embarrassed to not have the right glass for the 6 percent hefeweizen.)

68366091557__F1E8B3BE-75C4-48CE-860F-1CAD21D42D75.jpg

I had a loose idea of where I wanted to go. Being solo means I can go as much as I want. The balance and comfort of the bike are key to simple long distance rides. I put Frogger's tape with the intent to write my contact information. I misplaced the sharpie...

68370546819__3FCE6799-15B0-4293-8726-D3536D1736E4.jpg

68370548455__613267D9-F0D1-402F-9049-ED2D682425E5.jpg

I departed at 7:30am, the route for day one to Bastogne, Belgium. I added the Trier - windy ride Rhine detour in the spur of the moment. Almost the entire day was on backroads with mostly all double and single lane roads.

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.03.27 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-12 at 7.07.09 AM.jpg

The route along the Neckar and the Rhine rivers and the vineyards along the hillsides is a must see. Most sightseers see them from the water. It is rare as a visitor to travel alongside the roads and be among them.

IMG_8361.jpg

IMG_8360.jpg

I am a huge history buff. It was a huge goal to ride this time some of my life long interests.

Bastogne is an amazing place to visit and tour. I finally got to the town at 3pm - after nearly 4 hours of nonstop riding.

Bastogne_Map_December_19-23_1944.jpg

The Battle of the Bulge that began on December 16, 1944 is widely remembered today as the greatest battle fought by the U.S. Army during the Second World War. For many, the focal point of this remembrance remains the Belgian town of Bastogne. Bastogne was a critical regional communications hub, ultimately encircled and besieged by German forces from December 19th to the 26th. The elite U.S. 101st Airborne Division is correctly honored for playing the key role in preventing Bastogne's fall, and impeding the overall progress of the German offensive; in spite of facing relentless attacks led by the Fifth Panzer Army. Nevertheless, what must also be noted is that several other U.S. Army units bolstered the efforts of the veteran airborne troops.

IMG_8363.jpg

IMG_8364.jpg

I went to high school with one of the grandsons of McAuliffe in the Canal Zone. The combination of forest and town is almost recognizable to the famous movie, Battle of the Bulge. I will return again to further check it out.

IMG_8365.jpg

68372875159__CE727A04-9A58-40C6-856A-A05F63903A57.jpg

68372879235__A685815F-7D72-441C-A0E8-B611A46A3BC0.jpg

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-12-2022 at 07:37 PM.

Looks good Ted

You are making me nostalgic for my R-90S
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

If you rode through Edingen along the Neckar after leaving Heidelberg you saw my wife’s family’s hometown.