Thread: 1938 Fraser River Gillnetter Molle B is for sale on Seattle CL

Default 1938 Fraser River Gillnetter Molle B is for sale on Seattle CL

One of my favorite boats is for sale again.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/b...523585369.html

The asking price is a bit more than it was the last time she was for sale (for around $12k I think) but it looks like someone has been taking good care of her. There aren't very many PNW or BC double enders left in this condition. Several other good boats like her have fallen onto hard times over the last few years (Tempest, Full Moon). She should probably be in a museum, but either way she deserves a caretaker with the skills to keep her up.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: 1938 Fraser River Gillnetter Molle B is for sale on Seattle CL

Ah yes, Joe Bakatun’s former boat. And she does look well cared for. A beauty, just not a lot of cruising amenities, but some can be added.

My friend used to fish a similar boat, the Oceanus... we of course pronounced the name wrong purposely. It was supposedly a very 'fishy' boat and did well.

Compare this $12,000 gilnetter that is in the water and ready to go versus the big free Monk (?) in the shed up in BC that was posted recently on the forum. Based on what Chris and Ron say then this boat would be much cheaper to own in the near and long term. And you could go cruising now.

Results of a survey would be interesting and pragmatic to review. She is, after all, an ancient gilnetter.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

What happened to Full Moon? Or Petrel for that matter ... I don't know Tempest, local?

There's a short list of really good looking double enders, and Molle B is certainly on it. Oh, and Romance up in BC. I should just go flip through the Petrel thread for a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Compare this $12,000 gilnetter that is in the water and ready to go versus the big free Monk (?) in the shed up in BC that was posted recently on the forum. Based on what Chris and Ron say then this boat would be much cheaper to own in the near and long term. And you could go cruising now.

Results of a survey would be interesting and pragmatic to review. She is, after all, an ancient gilnetter.
    probably cheaper than building and fitting out a new bartender
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Not a trailerable Bartender, desert dweller.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Yes what is the news on Full Moon? I tried to buy her before I bought Julia, but someone else got there first. I would still snap it up if at any risk of the saw, assuming I can get it into storage for the next few years.

Molle B is looking good, I've added the photos to my collection of source material.

I tried to buy her before I bought Julia, but someone else got there first.
    I think you'd have had a very different trip aboard the Full moon. Glad to see you've got internet in the s pacific.
    Last edited by lukes; 08-31-2022 at 05:48 PM. Reason: edited for the correct ships name...

Full Moon is still around, but looking a little sad compared to what she was even just a few years ago.

(Photo by Tad Roberts)

She used to look like this

I hope that she survives her current situation. It might just be that she needs paint, and that this is the natural state of a working troller, but she's not looking good.

Tempest is (was?) a pretty little Vestad-built gillnetter up in B.C. but someone built a shed on her. And I do mean a shed. No nautical term ("trunk", "cabin") could possibly describe this box-store-lumber framed atrocity. I haven't seen any sign of her in a few years though.

I have been a little hesitant to find out how Petrel is doing. I've had an occasional photo from people who have seen her in Pleasant Harbor on Hood Canal. Last I saw she was being kept outside and while she didn't look any worse than when she left me, she also doesn't seem to be getting much care either. But I'll confess that I bring up Google Maps and look at her in satellite view sometimes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6610.../data=!3m1!1e3

She's the double ender on the dock at the upper left. It would absolutely break my heart to see her going downhill after all the time I spent to bring her back from the dead though, so it's better to not know.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Tough to see Full Moon looking like that, but hopefully she’ll fall into the right hands. Molle B was always on my short list as well and I know Joe kept her in good shape.
    Nicholas

Thanks for the pics Chris. Interesting the changes to the scuppers amidships.

I have been a little hesitant to find out how Petrel is doing. I've had an occasional photo from people who have seen her in Pleasant Harbor on Hood Canal. Last I saw she was being kept outside and while she didn't look any worse than when she left me, she also doesn't seem to be getting much care either. But I'll confess that I bring up Google Maps and look at her in satellite view sometimes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6610.../data=!3m1!1e3

She's the double ender on the dock at the upper left. It would absolutely break my heart to see her going downhill after all the time I spent to bring her back from the dead though, so it's better to not know.[/QUOTE]

Is that the same Petrel that was featured in WB 20 yrs or so ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Pelirrojo View Post
    Tough to see Full Moon looking like that, but hopefully she’ll fall into the right hands. Molle B was always on my short list as well and I know Joe kept her in good shape.
    Nicholas
    He really did. She went downhill for a bit after he passed her on but her most recent owners have brought her back nicely. She looked great the last time I saw her.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Thanks for the pics Chris. Interesting the changes to the scuppers amidships.
    I'm pretty sure she has been given aluminum bulwarks Jon. Which might not be original, but if they keep her going then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Is that the same Petrel that was featured in WB 20 yrs or so ago?
    No, that Petrel is a converted Oregon troller. She's a beauty but nothing like my Petrel other than two pointy ends and a fishing career in her past. This is that Petrel:

My boat was this one, featured in a very long-winded thread here on the forum. I call her a troller but I think she was originally rigged as a gillnetter or combination boat. She started out looking like this, and was headed for the chainsaw when I found her:

After a few years she looked like this when I sold her to the guy who has her in Pleasant Harbor now:

Not done or even close, but at least she was dry, floating, and running when she left. I hope she stays that way. More on that story here if anyone wants to wade through five years of my life with boats...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ot-Petrel-quot

It was a lot of fun while it lasted but all things change and she needed a new home. But before that she helped introduce our son to wooden boats, taught me things that I did not know (with the help of many, many people here), gave us a few adventures, and helped bring Skookum Maru into our lives. May she continue in good health.
    - Chris

I wonder if the seller is optimistic that this thread has raised interest enough to ask for more money for the boat. She is now listed at $19900.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I wonder if the seller is optimistic that this thread has raised interest enough to ask for more money for the boat. She is now listed at $19900.

Jeff
    No, that was the original price. The $12k I mentioned in my first post was from the last time she was listed a few years ago. I think $20k is too high but I expect they would come down.
    - Chris

It’s a very specialized narrow market for these boats. Although not yet quite ready to sell Snoose, I have to start thinking of an exit strategy that’s probably not too far away. When the time comes, it will be more a matter of finding a proper caretaker than a price.

An update on Molle B... She was listed as "sale pending" for a while, but she's now back on the market with a new price of $8,500 - $10k less than the previous price - and a fresh survey that has found some needs. From the ad:

Update: Vessel has been hauled and surveyed (9/15/22) by a highly experienced wooden boat expert. Conditions found and remedies for repairs to be made have been documented. Overall condition rated as fair and serviceable.

Out of state owner offering $10K (was $18,500) discount to a qualified buyer with experience and/or skill sets to effect repairs. Survey summary can be reviewed with interested parties.

So reading between the lines, they had an offer contingent on survey but the buyer backed out once they learned about the work needed. At $8,500 she seems like a deal for the right person with the right skills. And I'll bet that price would go down a lot further since the market for old trollers with needs is small-to-nonexistent (DAMHIK).

Latest ad here:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/bod/7536682862.html
    - Chris