Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Royal fan club

Default Re: Royal fan club

Oppression of Tibetans and Uyghurs is oppression and should be opposed, although the Tibetan theocracy was hardly saintly and how would the US respond, I wonder, if the Mexicans started blowing up US buses? Actually, no need to wonder.

I'm no apologist for any oppressive regime but I believe that at least understanding how such regimes develop instead of the current hypocritical demonization of all things Chinese would be helpful.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    The entertainment industry worldwide has massive involvement in social, environmental and many other causes. Their contribution shades the relatively insignificant contribution the 'royals' make when they're not shooting pheasants, ripping foxes and hares apart, murdering tigers or demonizing non-compliance family members. Remove your own blinkers and you might see it.
    I am surprised that you can walk straight with that chip on your shoulder.
    Dump the chip and stop posting lies.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

he who wanted to be a tampon is somewhat of a greenie
    - smokin'

Suspect I 'don't get' the phrase - but it's entertaining.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Anne - that one had character. Participated in the Olympics. Used to sail single handed. It could happen in the UK in the 90's, that some well maintained wooden boat would just come into a harbour and tie up. Only person on board - Anne.

^ Didn't Philip sail in the Olympics too? I know he arranged for Uffa Fox to teach Charles how to sail.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The late, not so great, Princess Margaret shot a cannonball at my friend. He was sailing, or rather had just beached his boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The late, not so great, Princess Margaret shot a cannonball at my friend. He was sailing, or rather had just beached his boat.
    That might have been the Gin.

She was another one of the Royals screwed up by the Establishment.

Prince Philip taking a couple of grumpy teenagers sailing on a soft day in the Caledonian Canal, whilst his non-sailing wife stays at home with the two little ones:

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

HRH Princess Anne is the one that everyone in my family has met (four different occasions) - she is incredibly diligent.

I can now recount my only one on one conversation with her:

Scene: Bahrein Airport Transit Lounge bookstall, back in the days when Cathay Pacific refuelled their 747-200s there:

HRH: “Where’s the bog?”
    Me, somewhat surprised “Over there!” (forgetting the “Ma’am)
    HRH “Thanks!”
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    ^ Didn't Philip sail in the Olympics too? I know he arranged for Uffa Fox to teach Charles how to sail.
    Phillip and Uffa sailed on Port Phillip Bay during the Melbourne Olympics. Bluebottle I think. I met Uffa when they came on board an Australian warship acting as starter boat. He bought half a dozen Sea Scouts on board an ice cream and asked us about our sailing. I was 13.

The Queen of Tuvalu, on a visit, 1982.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    That might have been the Gin.

She was another one of the Royals screwed up by the Establishment.
    She worked very hard to screw herself up. I watched her getting drunk in Basil's one night....not a pretty sight.
    Last edited by Hwyl; 09-01-2022 at 04:27 PM.

The queen of Tuvalu inspires another dispatch from the south pacific. A few miles from where I sit in Fiji is the island of Kioa, settled by tuvaluans after ww2 when their home land was overcrowded and damaged by war. I can't find many details, but I suspect the Americans were involved. Next door is Rabi, another island full of refugees, these forcibly removed by the British from the Gilberts so their home island could be completely mined for phosphate. The British kindly shared profits from mining, but held onto the money and used it to buy a new island from fiji for the Banabans to resettle. The old island was ground up and spread over the fields of Australia. The island of Rabi was not purchased from fiji directly though, fiji lost it trying to cover debts to the empire, so Australian farmers owned it and sold it to the Banabans. Probably some of the same money that was spent by farmers for their phosphate went back to the farmers to buy a new home island for the banabans. Rabi is also the first place in Fiji that indentured Indian farm labor was used, a whole different sordid tale.

What's my point? Something about the costs of being in the royal fan club.... I bet the queen never visited Ocean Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    She worked very hard to screw herself up. I watched her getting drunk in Basil's one night....not a pretty sight.
    Was that before or after Group Captain Peter Townsend?

Was that before or after Group Captain Peter Townsend?
    I was in a bar n the Caribbean. It was 1979 or 1980.

It's $300US to anchor there now.

I am surprised that you can walk straight with that chip on your shoulder.
    Dump the chip and stop posting lies.
    I never post lies. In your case, all I can offer is this: There are none so blind as those who will not see.
    Rick

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I constantly tell my boys that there's no queen on my coins.
    (Ireland that is).
    Everytime I witness the circus that is British Royalty I breath a sigh of relief - the kind of relief you feel when you figure out that it wasn't your kid who smashed the window and someone else has to own it.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Charlie wanted to marry Camilla way, way back, but the CofE and the court, and probably the Conservative party and maybe even the Queen objected because she was a divorcee……
    Certainly 'some sections' of the press made a meal of it.

So they sacrificed Dianna, the required virgin womb, to provide the line of succession.

Margaret suffered the same fate for the same reasons. No wonder she took to the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Charlie wanted to marry Camilla way, way back, but the CofE and the court, and probably the Conservative party and maybe even the Queen objected because she was a divorcee……
    Certainly 'some sections' of the press made a meal of it.

So they sacrificed Dianna, the required virgin womb, to provide the line of succession.

Margaret suffered the same fate for the same reasons. No wonder she took to the bottle.
    Sorry, but that is not the right order of events.

Charles had been seeing Camilla Shand, with his parents’ approval*, and they liked each other, but Charles was in the Navy and had been posted to command of the Ton class minesweeper HMS “Bronington”. That meant he would, obviously, be on board for several months.

It seems clear that what happened next was a misunderstanding: Camilla hoped that Charles might say something; he didn’t say anything, and he went off to command his minesweeper.

The Eartha Kitt song “An Englishman needs time” seems relevant, here…**

She assumed that he wasn’t interested and married Andrew Parker Bowles, pretty much on the rebound, so to speak, whilst Charles was on deployment. In fact he was interested, he just hadn’t got round to saying so.

Later, Charles married Diana Spencer. We know the rest of the story. Some time after Diana’s death, Camilla and Andrew Parker Bowles divorced and Charles asked his mother for her permission under the *Royal Marriages Act to marry Camilla. HM wasn’t keen, but later changed her mind.

There was no “they”.

I think you have got bits of Princess Margaret’s story mixed up with the Charles story. Margaret wanted to marry Peter Townsend who was an Equerry but the Archbishop of Canterbury disapproved as he was divorced.

*The reason why both Charles and Margaret had to get permission to marry from the Queen is the Royal Marriages Act passed by George III to stop his children being silly. Anyone in the line of succession needs the Monarch’s permission to marry, and the Monarch will consult the Privy Council.

** A somewhat similar case was the low key love life of the late Sir Edward Heath, whom I knew slightly. He was not gay, but the girl he intended to marry got bored with waiting and married someone else and he dealt with his broken heart by turning to politics. When he was Prime Minister he became a close friend of the pianist Moura Lympany but once again he couldn’t quite put the question (she would have said “yes”).
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-02-2022 at 06:02 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I never post lies.
    Really?
    ripping foxes and hares apart, murdering tigers

The royals do Australians no harm at all. I don't mind the tradition, or the connection with the past. And without them, who in the entire world could give us the occasional display of pomp and circumstance and spectacle such as a coronation or royal wedding without looking like half time at the superbowl? The world needs it and it will remain popular for as long as it's allowed to continue. I wish Meghan Markel had never entered the picture. As soon as she did I thought this will end badly. An attention seeking American with no grasp of what being a member of the royal family represented. In no time flat Harry is wedged away from his family and they're appearing on Oprah f###in Winfrey with Meghans tale of woe. Australia will become a republic soon enough and we will have a president and all the great things that come with that. We will break the connection with England and continue to apologise to the aborigines and thank them and shower them with praise for their stewardship and change all the local place names to words none of us can pronounce in the name of healing and equality and we shall say look how far we've come. Life will be better then for we shall be truly free JayInOz

Really?
    So in your fantasy land, royals don't hunt foxes or hares with dogs? They don't do big game hunting? I was talking about royals per se but are you suggesting that footage of your own royal family doing just those things is fake?

https://www.her.ie/celeb/member-roya...tension-441434

Wake up. You owe them nothing.
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-02-2022 at 08:22 AM.
    Rick

Thanks Andrew, I rather feel sorry for anyone born into the line of succession, but maybe by the time the next one comes around no on will care. Regarding the 'heir and a spare' situation, that is almost as bad for the spare.

So in your fantasy land, royals don't hunt foxes or hares with dogs? They don't do big game hunting? The footage of your own royal family doing just those things is fake?

Wake up.
    Blood sports have been illegal since 2005. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ppet&wrap=true
    It does not happen.

So in your fantasy land, royals don't hunt foxes or hares with dogs? They don't do big game hunting? I was talking about royals per se but are you suggesting that footage of your own royal family doing just those things is fake?

https://www.her.ie/celeb/member-roya...tension-441434

Wake up. You owe them nothing.
    You really need to improve the quality of your information sources, that one is garbage.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

So they stopped having animals ripped apart for fun in 2005? Good on them, almost saintly now then. Have to just contend with shooting birds for their fun now. When at home, anyway.
    Rick