Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood lapstrake with copper rivets

Default Re: Plywood lapstrake with copper rivets

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I also asked Vivier about his opinion on building Morbic with this method.
    I think the designer's opinion is valuable, so below I copy-paste my question and his reply:

My question
    I would like to ask you if its possible to plank the boat with 6mm plywood according to the plans but instead of using epoxy, I use copper nails and roves (specifically 2X25mm square nails and 8mm roves) every 50mm. Also the laps will be bedded with Sika 291 marine adhesive sealant.
    https://www.alabordage.fr/en/copper-nails-roves/2299-6251-square-copper-nails.html
    The reason I am thinking this option is that, I will not be so dependent on epoxy times, temperatures etc, minimize exposure to epoxy fumes, no need to clean and sand epoxy, easier to repair and above all it's a more fun and traditional way of building and also the aesthetics, for me, are better.
    Do you think this build method is feasible? Will it affect the boat in terms of rigidity, strength, durability or other characteristics?
    Vivier
    Sorry for this late reply.
    Many years ago I have planked my own Youkou-Lili using boat nails and Sikaflex. Therefore it is possible.
    You may use a larger spacing of the rivets : 12 cm is enough.
    The main problem with this method is that Sika 291 has a short curing time (but is better than 591). Therefore each strake has to be fully adjusted, pre-drilled and prepared before applying the Sika. It is not easy to make clean work. An alternative method is to use firstly temporary screws. When the Sike has cured, screws are replaced by rivets. You may make a test. I do know if doing this is better.

So I searched about Youkou-Lili (https://www.vivierboats.com/en/product/youkou-lili-2/) and Vivier mentions in the page the following:

Originally I intended to make it with timber planks, varnished or oiled. But beside the difficulty of finding good quality large planks, I realised the boat could as well be built with plywood, without making this substitution apparent. The plywood is painted, and this is conforming to the aesthetics of a small traditional boat. Built that way, Youkou-Lili could sail several decades without aging.

Ned's photos clearly illustrate why it is so much easier to epoxy ply lapstrake, rather than tradition rivited. While trad clinker is/was a delight to see, it illustrates the 'do you enjoy building, or want to get out sailing' compromise.