Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Default Re: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Jamie and I sparked off each other from time to time, but he was one of the regulars on here and it's sad he has gone. I'm glad that friends here rallied to help him, and kept the rest of us up to date. The little community that we are.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Damn. I awoke to read this news.

The last two times I spoke to Jamie the conversation was very brief. He was not feeling well and he ended the calls quickly. But these last few weeks Jamie knew his friends on the WBF had not forgotten him.

Your pain and frustration are over, my friend. RIP.
    "They have a lot of stupid people that vote in their primaries. They really do. I'm not really supposed to say that but it's an obvious fact. But when stupid people vote, you know who they nominate? Other stupid people." -- James Carville on the plethora of low-quality GQP candidates in the mid-term election.

Damn

I'd like to thank all who made his last few weeks a little better.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

I missed my last "scheduled" call with him & now am even more angry with myself for doing so. It seems his going was rather quick, as my last call with him was very nice & he seemed in relatively good cheer.

Jamie - you will be missed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Damn

I'd like to thank all who made his last few weeks a little better.
    ^ This.
    So sorry to read this news.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

So sorry to hear this news. I never met him, but appreciated the lovable rascal's posts here over the years.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Rest In Peace
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    All three of these guys now have passed over the bar…..

Attachment 123528

Paladin, Ken Hutchins and now Jamie.
    What volumes of sailing tales and boat building knowledge was represented in that photo ! ! ! !
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

A dreaded sticky to swallow with my coffee. Sorry to hear this news. Rest in Peace.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

He's a guy I'll miss for sure, Airlie was a sweet boat and I really enjoyed sailing with Jamie and Ian. RIP Jamie.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

So sorry to hear this.
    Family and friends: please accept my condolences.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

deep sigh

RIP, Jamie, we will miss you.
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain

Sad news, Rest In Peace.

this dinner was katherine's and mine first date

imagine being chaperoned by these guys, plus margo, coose, the mannheimers and the bauers. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    All three of these guys now have passed over the bar…..

Attachment 123528

Paladin, Ken Hutchins and now Jamie.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

jcsoh was there too, but hardly in a chaperone capacity

Explains a lot, Paul.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

No easy way to lose a family member or friend, and people in this forum I've never met all feel like friends. I'll miss him, too.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

RIP Jamie.

My thanks to Emily, for caring enough about Jamie to poke us to show him we cared too.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

May the breeze be ever over the quarter, each modest wave demanding only a quarter spoke.

Ok so I have a quandary, how do I tactically ask how to get my cellular iPad back ? I didn’t mind paying for the LTE cellular for Jamie but not for someone who ends up with it. I tried to brick it remotely and call it a loss but the battery is dead and no signal. I'll try going to Verizon this morning to see if they can brick it.

Sorry this hit's kinda home, when my mother died, friends and relatives raided her closets and jewelry safe like vultures minutes after she passed away, even before we made it home from the hospital and it made me sick. It's been my experience that a lot of people suck and look for oportunity when someone passes. Especially underpaid nursing home orderlies.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

RIP, Jamie. A good guy.

That we would all be so remembered when it becomes our inevitable time to pass over the bar.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Sorry to hear this. Seems a bit young to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Ok so I have a quandary, how do I tactically ask how to get my cellular iPad back ? I didn’t mind paying for the LTE cellular for Jamie but not for someone who ends up with it. I tried to brick it remotely and call it a loss but the battery is dead and no signal. I'll try going to Verizon this morning to see if they can brick it.

Sorry this hit's kinda home, when my mother died, friends and relatives raided her closets and jewelry safe like vultures minutes after she passed away, even before we made it home from the hospital and it made me sick. It's been my experience that a lot of people suck and look for oportunity when someone passes. Especially underpaid nursing home orderlies.
    Keep trying to get in touch with it, use Find My.

Call the nursing home and explain, then ask for contact info to his sister.

Don't brick it until you're sure it's not recoverable.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

He was a singularly unique character! Back around 2010 through maybe 2013 or so (excuse me if I don't have the dates just right) when he was battling Lyme's Disease he was as cantankerous as they come. Easily confused by the affliction of Lyme's he never seemed in his right mind.

Quick, knee-jerk reactionary defenses of the GOP for the slightest of slights, real, imagined or perceived. Easily rattled, several forumittes could quickly get under his skin and pitched battles would ensue.

Eventually his battle with Lyme Disease, that had plagued him for some time, was firmly in his wake and faded over the horizon. He admitted in PM's a feeling of being reborn, as if a great weight had been lifted from his mind and body.

Then the Mango Mussolini stepped forward and to Jamie's great credit that was a candidate, a party and a defensive position he could no longer maintain. The transformation was stunning in its 180 degree course correction, awe inspiring in its completeness. Literally overnight he went from the starboard side of the ledger to a hard tack over to the port side and was completely reborn. His ongoing battle with Wardd a thing of the past. He was fun, lighthearted, still a bit cantankerous at times but at core a more complete human.

And while I don't believe JAMJ was any sort of a hunter, maybe upland birds, he definitely was a hunter of adventure. It is with that thought that I can think of no better epitaph for the man then the one that Robert Louis Stevenson wrote for himself.

Under the wide and starry sky
    Dig the grave and let me lie.
    Glad did I live and gladly die,
    And I laid me down with a will.

This be the verse you grave for me;
    "Here he lies where he longed to be,
    Home is the sailor, home from the sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill."

Fair winds friend, you are missed by many.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    Sorry to hear this. Seems a bit young to pass.
    If the birth year on FB is correct Jamie was a month shy of his 69th birthday.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    That's considerably younger than I thought. It makes his passing all the more untimely.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Gotta be close. We talked about age & determined he was 9 months younger than me & I turn 70 in March (gulp - how did I get here?).
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

damn. Fair winds jamie. There is a good dog waiting for you on the other side.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Very sorry to hear that Jamie has passed, I'll miss his posts as I am sure all of us will.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

A guy I would like to have met.
    RIP.

from mmd this morning:

We have just received word that the truck bringing Airlie back home jack-knifed in the snow in central northern Maine on Wednesday. Fortunately no damage to truck, driver nor boat. Since the timing of Jamie’s departure and Airlie’s getting stuck in a snowbank pretty closely coincide, d’ya think that Jamie was passing by and gave it a kick because he didn’t want to let her go?

Airlie is due to arrive here in NS tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.

In the tradition of an Irish Wake we raise a glass and tell charming stories of those that have crossed the bar.

It was a little over 17 years ago when I first met (Jamie) "Uncas" his WBF screen name back then.
    He generously offered anyone on this forum open passage to The WoodenBoat Show. That year it was in Newport RI on his 1948 (?) Hinckley Sou'wester SV "Uncas" from where he was living and kept her in Maryland. Steven Bauer, and Matt ( last name ) signed on. Matt I believed lived near Jamie and Steven took an over night train down to shove off from Maryland.

I was living up in Cold Spring and took the the Hudson River line to Grand Central and then ferry over Newport Harbor in Jersey City, where I secured and paid for a slip for Uncas.

I was communicating with Steven who I had met a few times before and we were friends. I waited at the slip and watched as Jamie was in all sorts of docking panic and I was trying to grab lines. It was then I noticed Steven with a nice black eye. I'm trying to put 2 & 2 together with 2 out of 3 people on this boat I don't know. One of them looked like Ahab with a thick bristly beard and seemed angry.

So after securing the dock lines I decided to offer a round of drinks at the marina bar before we shove off. My goal was simple let me see if I want to go on this voyage with a strange grumpy bearded Captain. As we were walking to the bar, I asked Steven what happened with your eye? He looked at me and dead seriously said what ever you do exactly what Jamie wants, thats all I'm saying.

Two seconds into our first celebratory drink ( one that would inevitably lead to many more ) I soon realized Jamie is a pussy cat an an all around great guy who just gets a severe case of docking jitters, and of course Steven was pulling my leg the whole time.

We shoved off and the adventure began. Soon it became apparent with my bartending skills as we approached any port I would run down to the galley and make a nice Dark & Stormy and hand it to Jamie. That tended to make docking less dramatic.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 11-17-2022 at 08:05 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    from mmd this morning:

We have just received word that the truck bringing Airlie back home jack-knifed in the snow in central northern Maine on Wednesday. Fortunately no damage to truck, driver nor boat. Since the timing of Jamie’s departure and Airlie’s getting stuck in a snowbank pretty closely coincide, d’ya think that Jamie was passing by and gave it a kick because he didn’t want to let her go?

Airlie is due to arrive here in NS tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.
    Wondering whether the spirit hangs around for a couple days before heading on up to the pearly gates, There's a suite for gamba by Couperin which addresses the matter of the spirit's behavior after the body dies. The first movement introduces the mourners arriving at the church, the second movement illustrats the spirit flitting among the mouners checking them out, the third movement is the cortege going to the cemetery, the final movement is the spirit departing for heaven.

And other things, too.