Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Default Re: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Absolutely. I'll ask him tomorrow afternoon.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Good info, Joe. Thanks so much.

So does he have a new extension? It might make it easier to get past the Delhi switchboard if we knew the new extension number. The phone number of the facility hasn't changed.

Also, Joe, are you sure he wasn't just uncertain about being at that extension, in that ward?

McColgin, apparently his covid-fighting sister and brother-in-law have the dog.

Sounds like we need to know about his mobility before we try to do something about communication through devices. I don't think he's likely to use a pad or phone for amusement. Just doesn't seem to be his style. Also I think he's sleeping a lot, which is either a sign of depression, or of having nothing to do due to being immobilized, or of being physically tired due to whatever care program he's in. if it's the first, our calls will help with that.

And, of course, we still don't know whether he can get on the net with any device.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I love this. One of the best things about the Bilge (and the WBF as a whole) is its sense of community.

[Scot -- FYI, this thread deserves a pin.]
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Emily, I have Thursdays calendared. For the most part Ian spared this part of Florida. There's a few trees down, and I had 7.5 inches of rain in 24 hours. Nothing like the SW Coast of Florida or the battering Nova Scotia took from Fiona. Because this seems to be an Old Phart crowd, MMD says he and the Mrs. are fine from Fiona but lots of damage other places.

Rob, Jamie was a sketcher too. They're probably with my Christmas things, but he would do an original sketch and often a piece of poetry each year for his Christmas card.

Just got off the phone with Jamie - had tried a bit earlier, but he had company and asked me to call back.

Turns out the company was a niece and nephew bringing his pup in for a visit. The dog immediately put its paws up on the bed to try to reach him; once lifted onto the bed, promptly fell asleep in his lap. The joy in Jamie's voice was striking.

He confirmed that he's now in a hospice wing, and doesn't know how long he'll be around. Whatever other troubles he has medically, Jamie's only got one kidney, which complicates things. But he was cheerful, 100% coherent and sharp in his mind today, and wanted me to send you folks all his best regards and love.

While he still finds the food in the facility awful, the staff in this wing are much more responsive, and he finds them to be largely as kind as one could hope.

He brightened up at Joe's offer of the iPad, and looked forward to a chance to reconnect here. If he's ordinarily as cognitively together as he was today, he'd have no trouble with it, I suspect.

The phone # in Joe's post above goes directly to his room, to my surprise and pleasure. No switchboard to muck with, just Jamie picking up immediately.

Emily, I'm grateful that you thought this up; it was marvelous to speak with him, and I'm looking forward to it again next week.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I am so glad to hear Jamie is happier than when I spoke to him early last week. I am sure the contact with us helps. It was clear to me that he was feeling terribly alone. He saw Betham! GOOD!!!

I'll be calling him on Monday.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

OK I'll pack up the iPad it's an LTC Cellular version so he doesn't even need to connect to Wifi to surf the internet. I will configure it before I send it out so it should be easy to use.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I'm not a phone person and he doesn't need to talk to my grouchy a55. But, I very much care about Jamie and hope the best for him. If he needs something, PM me his address and what he needs and I'll send it. And, tell him I'm thinking about him. And you all are saints. Well done.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

I’m so very sorry to hear Jamie is in hospice.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I'm not a phone person and he doesn't need to talk to my grouchy a55. But, I very much care about Jamie and hope the best for him. If he needs something, PM me his address and what he needs and I'll send it. And, tell him I'm thinking about him. And you all are saints. Well done.
    James W. Johnston
    Delhi Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
    Birch 117A
    41861 St Hwy 10
    Delhi, NY

Nice work, all!
    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    James W. Johnston
    Birch 117A
    41861 St Hwy 10
    Delhi, NY
    Since Jamie has been moved to the hospice section his room is no longer at Birch 117A. I'm sure any mail addressed that way will reach him anyway. I call him on Monday and will get his new room number.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 10-01-2022 at 08:11 PM.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    James W. Johnston
    Birch 117A
    41861 St Hwy 10
    Delhi, NY
    I have a jar of honey from my hives. He sent me one from his years ago, I hope he can have some.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Thank you all. So glad to hear he got a visit with the dog.

Not happy about the Hospice wing thing, tho. Perhaps some subtle inquiries can get some clarity on that?
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

I too was pleased to hear that he had a visit from his dog.
    Wishing Jamie all the best.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    I too was pleased to hear that he had a visit from his dog.
    Wishing Jamie all the best.
    This.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Does Jamie have a phone next to him with a different phone number? They put me on a 10 minute hold and nobody came to phone so I hung up and tried again and it kept ringing at least five minutes without anybody answering.

Spinner, Joe had a phone number in a post a little ways up before my post yesterday about the call I had. I used that number, and it went directly to his room.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF;[URL="tel:6734559"
    6734559[/URL]]Spinner, Joe had a phone number in a post a little ways up before my post yesterday about the call I had. I used that number, and it went directly to his room.
    Thats the number I dialed and it was answered by a female. I called back after posting here and it rang for a long time, then it was “cut off”.

Jamies direct number is now 607-464-4414.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal);[URL="tel:6734567"
    6734567[/URL]]Jamies direct number is now 607-464-4414.
    That’s the number I dialed and a woman (nurse?) answered. I was on hold for 10 minutes listening to a recording telling what a great place it was. When I called again I let it ring for the longest time until someone clicked the call off. This makes me wonder how Jamie is now!?

That's maddening. Yesterday I called him at that number twice. Each time, he picked up after a single ring

I just got off the phone with Jamie. He was in a much better frame of mind than when I last spoke with him. He really appreciates the calls from his WB Forum friends. He asked me to tell you all how much he has enjoyed his WBF friends over the years. He is excited in anticipation of receiving the iPad from Joe (SoCal) so that he can reconnect with the WB Forum as well the rest of the world thru news, Facebook, videos, etc. We talked about his visit with his pooch Betham. Doggy is staying with Jamie's sister and Jamie said he is well cared for. The only problem is that Betham has picked up one habit from his sister's doggy: barking a lot. Like my Buddy, Betham did not previously bark a lot. Oh well... Jamie seems to be happy he is in good hands.

Spin-Drift had the correct phone number. The problem was Jamie could not reach the phone. That problem has been corrected. The first time I called today it rang a number of times before I hung up. He may have been napping. I then called 607-464-4444 and spoke to the switchboard operator. She confirmed we had the correct number and she gave me the name of his new unit and the room number. His new unit is called Fir and his room number is 161A. I waited 10 minutes and then tried 607-464-4414 again. Jamie picked up on the third ring.

Jamie told me he has been in bed for two months. It seems one of his broken vertebrae either cannot or would not heal properly and they cannot operate. I didn't quiz him about it but I suspect that is partly due to Jamie being a high risk surgical candidate because of his other medical issues. He cannot be hoisted into a wheelchair because of his back. He said at least he is not in much pain. His two main complaints are about the food and his bad TV reception. He was really pleased when I told him I would share his updated contact info. Although he tends to keep the phone conversations short it is obvious that he really likes hearing from us. I assured him I would speak to him again in a week.

James W. Johnston
    Fir 161A
    41861 St Hwy 10
    Delhi, NY

(607) 464-4414
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 10-03-2022 at 02:21 PM.

Thanks for the update on the address. I was waiting to send off a packet of nonsense until I was sure. I’ll send a few drawings and some words of encouragement.

I know too well what it is to be bedridden with back injury.

^
    I know Jamie is going to love getting your drawings.

I'll pack up the iPad and ship it out. There is going to be a need for someone to set if fully up for him or I can try if I can get his info when I talk to him on Friday

I'll need his log in info for the WBF and Facebook or whatever social media he uses.

Hi All -

Just talked to Jamie. He asked me to thank everyone here, as the calls have meant a lot to him. He finally got some food he could chew today which made him happy. Seems they've been pureeing everything for fear he'd choke. Also his brother-in-law snuck in some bagels & a beer His sister is stopping in tomorrow with his dog & he's happy about that.

That's all for now.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

This is all very encouraging. Good work everyone.

Good to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

From my experience, visits and, phone calls and I hope, letters with pictures (I included Joe's picture of Jamie and that pretty girl dancing) bump up the level of care.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Hi All -

Just talked to Jamie. He asked me to thank everyone here, as the calls have meant a lot to him. He finally got some food he could chew today which made him happy. Seems they've been pureeing everything for fear he'd choke. Also his brother-in-law snuck in some bagels & a beer His sister is stopping in tomorrow with his dog & he's happy about that.

That's all for now.
    I found this really odd. Jamie has injured his back, he has not got a brain injury that requires him to be spoon-fed.

Will the next person to talk to Jamie please pass on my best wishes.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

He's stuck on his back. He can't sit up.

And other things, too.

Everything about this thread is humbling. All of it.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by elf
    He's stuck on his back. He can't sit up.
    Yes. Jamie has a broken back that has not properly healed. He is not a candidate for surgery.

Hmm, I reckon we could find an adjustable stand to suspend a monitor face down above his head, or any other configuration for that matter. Contach Paraplegic organisations if nothing here suits.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Computer-M...de=10346828051