Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Default Re: Jamie Johnston (S.V. Airlie) is in the hospital.

Poor guy - that all sounds awful.
    Best wishes to him I hope he comes good soon.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal)
    Is he still in the hospital can we call the hospital and check on him ?
    Jamie is in a rehab facility. When we spoke after he entered he was immobile, uncomfortable, and on pain meds. Our conversation was short. He ended the conversation before I had a chance to get the name of the facility and their phone number. I figured I would get that info on my next phone call once he was feeling a bit better. But I have since not been able to get through to him.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

... and he isn't answering the phone in the room at the rehab. I'm working family connections as well, I'll report as soon as I have any info.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I hate I missed this thread for two weeks

Anyone that has contact with him, please let him know he is one of my favorite WBF friends. I'll be sending good thoughts from Florida. It sounds like he needs them

-Margo

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    ... and he isn't answering the phone in the room at the rehab. I'm working family connections as well, I'll report as soon as I have any info.
    Us as a group should be able to research and find him. Some forum members should be close enough to find him and check in on him. I know he's bit of loner but this is no time to be alone.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Not sure you can read much into that. People in facilities are often not within reach of the room's phone.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    Not sure you can read much into that. People in facilities are often not within reach of the room's phone.
    And since they did not want him to move - not even to lift his head - they may have taken his cell phone away so he would not reach for it.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    My phone calls are going directly to Jamie's voicemail which says to leave a message. But his message box is full. I sent him a text message on Sunday wishing him a speedy recovery and asking him to clear his messages. I have not yet heard back.
    Can you get the hospital to give you the contact details of the rehab facility, so that you can ask them to relay messages?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Jamie's brother has had similar difficulties in getting him on the phone. A visit is tentatively planned for the near future, but that's about as specific as I can get.

Color me dismayed but not altogether surprised.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I sincerely he hope he recovers soon. Hospitals are not pleasant places to spend time in. All the best Jaimie!

Ditto to all of the above.

Jamie - I hope you are on the mend and as ok as can be expected. You are in my thoughts, and I'll continue to check in here for news.

-Margo

I sure hope Jamie gets through rehab OK, but being stuck motionless must be awful. If anyone talks to him, please send him my best!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery;[URL="tel:6725725"
    6725725[/URL]]And since they did not want him to move - not even to lift his head - they may have taken his cell phone away so he would not reach for it.
    This is scary. I donít understand why Jamie isnít allowed to even move his head ?

Jamie, I hope youíll get better soon. Sending you love and healing thoughts.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote Originally Posted by Garret
    I sure hope Jamie gets through rehab OK, but being stuck motionless must be awful. If anyone talks to him, please send him my best!
    The last time I spoke to him he said they were turning him over every two hours.

I'm going to the western side of MA in the middle of October. I can make a physical check on Jamie is someone can tell me exactly how to find him.

If this matter is not clear by then...
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Just checking in. Does anyone have any new info?

Hey guys - Has anyone heard from Jamie or is able to get any info ?

I'm sorry to read this! Get well, sir!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

OK. So I called the facility in Delhi. The number there is 607-464-4444. He has a private phone in his room. The extension is 4306. They connected me but he didn't pick up. So I left a message for them to tell him and my phone number for him to call back.

We'll see if he does.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Here's hoping. Jamie responded to a text I sent a couple of weeks ago, but not to more recent attempts.

Of course others have ghosted me too, so it may mean nothing...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Jamie, I hope you recover soon.
    Will

SV... sending good thoughts your way.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

OK. First of all, thank you Emily. The last time I spoke to Jamie he ended the phone conversation before I could get the name of the rehab facility.

James W. Johnston
    Delhi Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
    Birch 117A
    41861 St Hwy 10
    Delhi, NY

(607) 464-4444
    Ext 4307 (not 6)

I spoke briefly with Jamie about an hour ago. He ended the call after just a couple of minutes. It was disturbing.

Jamie was extremely agitated. He said his cell phone is not working. He said he is alone in a room. He said the attendants do not answer the buzzer. I asked how his rehabilitation was progressing? He replied they were not doing anything for him there, that it is a complete waste of time and that he is very angry about it. I asked him if he was on his feet walking yet and he said no. I asked how much longer he would have to be there and he said no one knows or is saying. He said he is alone in his room and my phone call was the first he had from anyone since I last spoke to him on August 29. He said his brother was supposed to visit him this afternoon, "But who knows if he will show up?" He said his sister was the responsible sibling. I asked if he was in touch with his sister? He said no... that either she or her husband has COVID. I asked if there was anything I could do to help? He said no but that he appreciated the offer. And that was it. He said he had to go and hung up.

I got Jamie's room number from the rehab staff. Jamie did not know his room number. I feel helpless. I am not in a position to visit or be of any help or solace. I am not really sure if he is in his right mind. Is there anyone here who lives close by who could look in on him? He seems to need an advocate.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 09-27-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Delhi is about halfway between Albany & Binghmton - near Oneonta. About 4 hours for me. If no one's closer, I can get there if needed.4
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Do what you can Garrett, and thank you. Sounds like regular visits/help is too far away to be practical.

Rehab/nursing homes are horrible. Understaffed with people who can't find healthcare jobs elsewhere.
    Press the button because you need help getting to the bathroom and you're most likely to have an accident in bed before anyone shows up.
    That's been my experience visiting folks that are stuck in those places.
    The fact that Jamie evidently has very few, if any people visiting or care about him makes it all the worse.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I won't be as close as Garret until the second week of Oct. I'll be in Pittsfield. In Warren next week. Maybe Garret and I could go while I'm out that way?

And other things, too.

Not all the staff are like that Rich. My missus used to come home exhausted most nights, and a sobbing wreck sometimes when one of the residents she had grown close to died. Ans she wrote down details about every one of them so that she wouldn't forget them- several hundred names from her time in aged care. JayInOz

I'm sure Jamie is a difficult patient and if he's also not mentally fully engaged, I'm sure it's much worse. Still I think it wouldn't hurt for him to be looked in on, no matter how ungrateful he may be. He's always been emotionally closed, and retreats from human contact pretty readily.

Still, he's one of us and we love him.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I'm sure Jamie is a difficult patient . . .
    anybody would be under the circumstances
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Rehab/nursing homes are horrible. Understaffed with people who can't find healthcare jobs elsewhere.
    Press the button because you need help getting to the bathroom and you're most likely to have an accident in bed before anyone shows up.
    That's been my experience visiting folks that are stuck in those places.
    The fact that Jamie evidently has very few, if any people visiting or care about him makes it all the worse.
    This.

On this larger topic, I recommend the book 'Being Mortal'. A good summary of how we've allowed a 'medical model' of aging to become dominant, and the perverse outcomes that spring from that development. As well as some hopeful thoughts regarding better ideas.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Here the cooperative community model was sold off by a conservative PM to his donors, and their operations were subsidised by the taxpayer. As expected it wasn't long before corruption and bad practice was rampant and the biggest fraudster went broke, in the nicest way for him of course…...

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Not all the staff are like that Rich. My missus used to come home exhausted most nights, and a sobbing wreck sometimes when one of the residents she had grown close to died. Ans she wrote down details about every one of them so that she wouldn't forget them- several hundred names from her time in aged care. JayInOz
    Thanks for this. My mother-in-law worked an entire career as an RN in nursing homes. She was (is) not "horrible" either. It's a difficult vocation, and many handle it with humanity, grace, and competence.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

OK. So I talked to Jamie and he repeated all the stuff he told Tom yesterday, so he's coherent. He said his phone is busted because somebody mangled the power cord port, and besides he doesn't think there's any cell or internet there anyway. I suggested I might get there to visit him, and he was very enthusiastic about that . He confirmed that his brother visited yesterday and that his sister and brother-in-law both are down with Covid. He confirmed that he has not had Covid yet.

He is agitated about his experience with his care, especially communication about his progress with the staff and doctors. And he doesn't feel he's being well cared for when it comes to toiletting and mobility.

So, what seems to make the most sense to me, is (rather than feeling badly among ourselves about our inability to see him in person) we should set up a call rotation - maybe two or three times a week some one of us calls in just to chat, and to ask a few core questions about his progress. With his sister unable to visit, and his brother visitng so rarely, it seems like this is an opportunity for us to break up the monotony of waiting, and maybe to help him get some clarity about how well he's doing and what the plan for his care is.

I'm not clear about how long his attention span is right now. He didn't want to talk for a long time, but was clear and answered all my questions.

So can I get a group of 6-10 of us to reliably call in? We can set up a two week rotation for the next two months and see whether just connecting with us will lift his spirit a bit.

Personally, I'd be really bummed if I were in his spot and feeling like salvaging my own situation was an awful lot of effort. Just having to tell people I'm lonely and would they please pay some attention to me would stop me right there. But I bet we could make things a lot less irritating for him if we pulled this together.

And other things, too.

I think that is an excellent idea Emily. I'm in.