Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat water to the Brothers

Default Flat water to the Brothers

Case Inlet, heading NW. The Brothers are the tall peaks dead ahead in the Olympic range. They actually look a lot closer than the phone photo shows. Beautiful morning.

52669EB8-0E45-4A84-8BA7-063B5A7EF692.jpg

Default Re: Flat water to the Brothers

Beauty!
    Good week for cruising, hope you're out for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Beauty!
    Good week for cruising, hope you're out for awhile.
    Couple of weeks, including showing Snoose off at the Harbor Fest in Olympia over Labor Day.
    Last edited by ron ll; 08-29-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Beautiful, keep the photos coming.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Beautiful, keep the photos coming.
    ^ This!

Cabintop is looking good too!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Very nice. I hope to get in the South Sound in the next few weeks
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

what kind of engine sounds Ron?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    what kind of engine sounds Ron?
    Loud. Is that what you mean? It’s a Detroit Diesel 3-71. I wear noise cancelers in the pilothouse.

Anchored in McLane Cove inside Stretch Island. My niece lives on Stretch Island and we’ll meet them for lunch. Jarrell Cove is just south of us and Fair Harbor marina just north under the bridge in the photo She calls it a Martha Stewart marina as they have a gift shop that she loves. Unfortunately under that bridge is dinghy passable only at high tide, and the only high tides right now are hours the gift shop is not open. I suppose we’ll have to take Snoose around the island tomorrow or I’ll never hear the end of it.

30312565-EFDE-404D-9502-737299D04921.jpg

Pretty flat here today, too.
    The Sound of Mull from my window, less than ten minutes ago.

003.jpg002.jpg

Ron, not much experience with South Sound. Can you share places you'd recommend for overnight anchorage?

Quote Originally Posted by schlaboatnic View Post
    Ron, not much experience with South Sound. Can you share places you'd recommend for overnight anchorage?
    Definitely Filucy Bay at Longbranch. Big bay, 30’ deep, little marina at one end that has ice, not much else. But a very easy comfortable anchorage with a couple of arms to explore by dinghy.

Jarrell Cove, north end of Harstene Island. State park buoys, a little marina and small store. Beautiful spot, a little more activity than Filucy, but still enjoyable. Connected to a big state park with nice hiking trails.

Lot's of state parks with buoys and trails. Not at all crowded, flat water (sailboats don’t get much wind in summer), no freighter wakes, usually a few degrees warmer than Seattle. The area just south of the Narrows around Fox Island seems to be an area for speedboats and water skiers, tubers, etc. but once south of McNeil Island not so much.

Lovely image. Inspires some wonderful memories. Just the sort of day when we'd fire up the pair of hydroplanes on Eld Inlet.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Thanks for the tips. I hope to heading to the South Sound later this week

Might see you in Olympia if there is any place to tie up or anchor near the festival

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I hope to heading to the South Sound later this week

Might see you in Olympia if there is any place to tie up or anchor near the festival
    Percival Landing where the festival is, will be full. There is some anchorage there which might work, never done that. There is probably guest moorage at Swantown Marina, a bit of a walk away but certainly doable.

Thanks for the tips

Woke up this morning to a strange scuffling sound on deck. Got up and opened the pilot house door to scare off a gawdd**m great blue pterodactyl. But not before he dumped his load all over the cabin top and hatch. So still in my skivies, I attach a rope to a five gallon bucket and start a serious wash down flooding. I’ll probably have to clean out some corners and crevices later. What the hell do those things eat anyway? Whatever, I think they need more starch in their diet.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Woke up this morning to a strange scuffling sound on deck. Got up and opened the pilot house door to scare off a gawdd**m great blue pterodactyl. But not before he dumped his load all over the cabin top and hatch. So still in my skivies, I attach a rope to a five gallon bucket and start a serious wash down flooding. I’ll probably have to clean out some corners and crevices later. What the hell do those things eat anyway? Whatever, I think they need more starch in their diet.
    Did she SKREECH at you into the bargain?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Jarrell Cove, one of the prettiest harbors in South Sound. A little marina, gas and groceries on one side, a large beautiful state park on the other side with guest dock and several nice wooded hiking trails. 12 state park buoys, 11 empty right now. I don’t get it.

E0435AAA-E9B5-4DFA-A777-D22CA7AAE89F.jpg

B7564ADE-8DFF-49F6-9688-D20FB4DE017E.jpg

764B6C15-3A89-4781-B2E1-A06FFFE80BC7.jpg

Jarrell Cove, one of the prettiest harbors in South Sound. A little marina, gas and groceries on one side, a large beautiful state park on the other side with guest dock and several nice wooded hiking trails. 12 state park buoys, 11 empty right now. I don’t get it.
    What a wonderful harbor! We were out on Lake Champlain in our little bowrider last night - well evening - 1700-1915, for a quick spin, dip, and cocktails. 85 degrees, 10-15 knot wind & sunny - just a glorious evening. We traveled around much of a good sized bay that has several hundred boats moored/docked in it. We saw a grand total of 6 boats out in the 2+ hours. Over 50% of these boats will start getting hauled immediately after the Labor Day weekend - so this is the last hurrah for many - but still hardly anyone out. I don't get it either.

Ron,

what is the water temperature like this time of year?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

A lot of people headed north this summer because you can now enter BC waters for the first time in two years. When I was in Pender Harbour in late June, the guy on the fuel dock said that a much larger percentage of boats were from the USA this year

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Ron,

what is the water temperature like this time of year?
    Not sure of the actual effs, but cold enough to resemble George Costanza coming out of the pool. The hearty will swim in these 80-90 degree days, but I may only get a few steps down the boarding ladder before the boys start screaming in terror.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    What a wonderful harbor! We were out on Lake Champlain in our little bowrider last night - well evening - 1700-1915, for a quick spin, dip, and cocktails. 85 degrees, 10-15 knot wind & sunny - just a glorious evening. We traveled around much of a good sized bay that has several hundred boats moored/docked in it. We saw a grand total of 6 boats out in the 2+ hours. Over 50% of these boats will start getting hauled immediately after the Labor Day weekend - so this is the last hurrah for many - but still hardly anyone out. I don't get it either.
    I happened to be in Watch Hill last week and "the last hurrah" was in full force. Wednesday morning had an absolute PARADE of boats moving east out of watch hill passage. Most were clearly riding the ebb tide and southwest breeze to block island, some were aiming for buzzards bay. At the time it felt like a lot of boats on the horizon....
    Then came Friday morning when a stiff southerly brought 3x as many boats sailing west. Clearly it was get-home day for most sailors. Saturday was flat as a millpond, with the parade of powerboats moving west.

Most public schools around here started yesterday. Private schools start after labor day.

I'm definitely a "cruising after labor day" kinda guy.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Dang. The deer have eaten all the huckleberries in the park. Usually we get buckets of them right beside the trails. No huckleberry daiquiris for us this year.

Dang. The deer have eaten all the huckleberries in the park. Usually we get buckets of them right beside the trails. No huckleberry daiquiris for us this year.
    White rum or dark?
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Our neighbor for the evening.

FE4AFD13-28E6-4A2F-B40F-4ABB5A5B2C7F.jpg

Fair Harbor Marina, by Reach (aka Treasure) Island near Grapeview and Allyn. Pretty much the end of Puget Sound. Gorgeous evening.

E83FFA69-2180-4A9A-A195-BAB4C5BB12B6.jpg

47E6E5E5-A5A3-4080-A92D-05B1BC67C45A.jpg

A beautiful spot, indeed. I remember meeting some friends there for dinner and an overnight on their boat - has to be 30-40 years ago now.

Though I'd call it a stretch from the end of Puget Sound. Maybe Mud Bay or Tumwater Park?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

The red arrow is us. Pretty much the end of Puget Sound. If you’re looking for the southernmost point in Puget Sound, that would be around Olympia, about 18 miles south of here. The other water at the upper left of the chart is the end of Hood Canal, which is only about two miles from the end of Puget Sound. Amazing that the Corps of Engineers didn’t try to connect them at some point. However, it probably would have to have been by tunnel, as there is a three hundred foot hull in between.

6BCDB42D-8B05-476F-A160-D924FC7A8D03.jpg

A long time Jarrell Cove resident.

24E18FCC-F4C5-4CA3-AAD8-ABF476206FB4.jpg

that herreshoff is a long ways from home
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Is it what’s known as a Herreshoff 12?

Is it what’s known as a Herreshoff 12?
    So close!

Twelve & a half.

Now at Olympia for the Harbor Fest. We are docked next to a 1943 85’ former Navy tug that is jaw dropping immaculate. Yacht finish over every inch. She served as a Foss tug after the war, but I’m still trying to find more info on her current status. I’ll get more pictures when the sun comes out.

4347D892-EE63-4E8D-903B-CDF3C167DAFC.jpg

8D848261-15A7-404E-88C1-7AD61DFA4C6B.jpg