Thread: annapolis wherry build process.

Default annapolis wherry build process.

hello. as a boat builder addict i want to share some of the process to build this rowing machine. acctually i am building a larger cape henry 21 documented too in this forum but need some holidays from this boat and a small project to be used this summer for rowing in a river where enjoy my holiday time. here in chile.

i tried to find blog or other thread about the building of this boat but no was very succesfull my search...something strange to me. maybe is no very common to build it .

first task was to get the plans from clc boats. as i live in chile are no way to get a kit. also no pdf or cnc files so i need to cut all by myself.

second task, got the plywood. not a easy task, no one produce 6 mm plywood anymore here. forget meranti or okume or other decent wood. so the only thing availble was some external grade decorative pine plywood with one ranurated side..... no voids at least and good fenol glue on it. so should be fiberglassed complete to protect the boat. the only factory able to produce some better quality stuff was 900 km away and dont ship to santiago....so i will use what i can. and on the other side i dont belive so much on "marine plywood." to me a goodf one is one without voids, no delaminations when you cut it and resorcinol glue on it. thats all.

first cut the scarf, 3 sides, 2 complete 4x8 boards and one half. mark the 5 cm, 2 inch wide strip to be planned in stair fashion, some hand plane, electric plane and belt sander and voila the scarf edges ready.

IMG-20220815-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20220815-WA0008.jpg

then i set up a large table to put the 3 large boards flat and screw it to the table and glue all the scarf in a row. some scotch plastic tape in between and let the night to glue all in one piece. each layer screwed to the next. no clamps or compression boards.

20220821_124315.jpg

netx day sanded flat the scarfs and put on top the large paper template to transfer all the contour of the diferent 5 large board who make the whole boat. 5 for each side. one large nail and a hammer to trace the points then a pen and voila the boat is there.

20220822_152512.jpg

once i got all mark down on the boards, i cut the large pieces. i didnt tell befour but we are building to boats on the same time so the 4 boards are cutted at the same time with a circular saw. no jig saw because the blade likes to wander to elsewhere.

so the same we did for the 9 mm board where goes all the flames and seats and interior pieces, traced down from the plans, cut arround roughly and later will be trim in detail.

20220815_153326.jpg

Default Re: annapolis wherry build process.

next was to trim and shape the profile on each board. so i cut all of them as close as i can with the saw, then set them on the table and the first board was trimed to the edge with a a 90 degree planer the most accurate way possible then screw this board on top of the others and make a solid 4 layer. to be trimed fast with a router arround the board following the shape of the one on top. all of them at once a little bored task but important one.

20220827_131115.jpg

the plans ask for a rabbet along one edge of each board. but i dont like this beacuse will be to fragile to me the resultant 3 mm edge,. so i decide to chamfer or cut one edge in some bevel to get a better shape once the boards edges are setting all together. here the block plane, spokeshave and sanding board did the job.

20220827_133144.jpg

20220827_170718.jpg

then i sanded a little the boards and set them to be stiched. first the 2 bottom planks and then all the rest in a half day of work. tedius job but easy to acomplish. the stiches holes come from the plans and did them all at once with a regular hand drill.

20220828_183046.jpg

20220828_183037.jpg

so now looks like a open transom canoe full of wires arround...but soon will get better shape.

Very nice!

Pablo I commend you on this endeavor! You’ll find support here should you encounter questions you can’t work out answers to on your own.

I’m surprised you couldn’t find anything relevant on CLC’s own Builders’ Forum. It can’t claim as wide an audience as this one, and certainly isn’t as easy to search our specific topics of interest.

An alternative you may not yet be aware of is the one hosted by a UK outfit that sells kits & plans from CLC and other similarly focused companies. This link will take you there, you can read it all to your heart’s content but to actively participate you must first register, just as you did here.

There’s their Builders’Club too, but again you have to sign up for access. You may find builders there whom you can begin a dialogue with via e-mail if the Forum leaves you wanting.

Good luck with your undertaking!
    Last edited by sp_clark; 08-29-2022 at 03:41 PM.

hi. thanks for the info. i found more post about the boat. so the work continue.

i finished the assembly or sewing of the large boards, and then add the frames, 4 of them. not difficult but need some help to adjust all fine.
    20220829_173221.jpg

the last was the transom. with the help of some wire stiches and some air gun stapple i fixed the board better. a nice tool indeed.

20220829_152242.jpg
    here using a combination of press and special tools got a nice and flush aasembly of this bulkhead. then add some stapples to fix the boards on site.

20220829_173305.jpg

surpricely the boat got on shape almost alone self leveling and a symetric shape whitout much help from my side.

20220829_135737.jpg

the bow gains and cuts, help to get a nice shape of this part. later will use some epoxy fillets and a lot of sanding to get a soft and nice lines on this part. something common with lapstrake hulls.

20220829_175538.jpg

after all of this asswembly come a general re tigthening of the many wire stitches. i had the idea i will break many for over twisting or something like that but didnt happen. may be because of the important trick to not twist the wire on the same spot many times,and the best is to thight and on the same time you twist 180 degree the wire you pull away the wire from the board with your pliers. that way the stress doesnt concetrate on one single spot of the wire.

i works as a orthopedic surgeon here in chile and on the old times we used some kinds of wire cerclajes , twisting it to compress the bones and fix it to heal. if you do wrong you break it more. so the twist and pull trick come form this. now is very uncommon to use wires but always is good to had more tricks on the box then none.

so once all stitched i begun with the glue process. i add epoxy fillets to all corners and 90 degree connections. for this i use a plastic bag filled with the epoxy blend of silica plus wood flour plus fenol microballons. after the corners are covered with the epoxy i use a silicon bakery spatula, i got this from amazon , 3 different sizes to choose and work great for fillets. much better the any wooden spatula or hard tools i used befour because the soft edges of the silica reagroupe all the epoxy putty in the middle leaving a nice and constant radius. dont stick to it, long handle easy to use, must be cleaned after use or you loose it.

20220903_154129.jpg

here is the tramson inside, the epoxy waiting to get a nice and soft fillet with the tool.

20220903_153956.jpg

the middle frames needs a large fillet. some other parts like the seams along the hull need a smaller one. once get hard y remove all the metal stitches. then add some fiberglass tape on the bottom , transom and bow seams to get a more strong hull on this parts.

20220904_174800.jpg

then i flip over the boat. and work on the outside seams, removing all the stitches and fill in all the outside seams with epoxy in a bag method.

later sand and use the hand planer to trim all the edges and hard wooden edge beacause later will fiberglass the outside and nedd soft radiuses here.

20220912_144306.jpg

then using all sorts of tools, scrapers, planer, and japanese rasp got a smooth and nice edge. and fill the seams with a regular fillet soon to be sanded in a more soft and better curve along the hull. are severals meters of seams, so is a lot of work.

20220912_174314.jpg

so the works keeps going.

so the fairness and sanding continue. for round up all the seams, the best tool i found is a battery drill, and a foam pad with velcro attachment. they give a soft and nice sanding of the edge fillets and very fast.

20220912_182255.jpg

then i did the same on the bow fillets to get a nice edge and soft bow. always the lapstrake hulls need more care then a round hull.

20220912_192558.jpg

then i add more epoxy putty to fill all the ranurated surface of this decorative plywood used on the boat, giving a soft and more or less fairness of the hull surface ready to use some fiberglass on it.

20220917_165101.jpg

first use some polyester fast putty, the green stuff but doesnt like it at the end. it got hard too fast, bad smell and hard to sand after so i ended using more epoxy putty, mixed some silica and wood flour from the sanding machine.

then put some tape and 200 grm biaxial fiberglass on it to cover the bottom of the skiff.

cut the rest of the edges once cured and then use more fiberglass 100 gm twill fabric, more supple and not to heavy just to protect the plywood.

20220919_115617.jpg

i trim the edges, remove any blister or bad glued part of the hull and add 2 more coats of bare epoxy. sand a little in between holding the sanding block to dont destroy the fiberglass, only remove any small details or glue bits.

20220921_192923.jpg

leaving the transom for the last patch of fiberglass, the hull now is ready to be painted. tomorrow will be the day...

Wow--looks great! Good luck with the painting.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Very good progress!
    I was a bit worried about your choice of plywood, not knowing you'd fiberglass it.
    It should be fine.
    The power tool you used to sand the exterior filets is great. I'll have to remember that one.
    This is the first time I've heard orthopedic surgery compared to wooden boat building!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Looking great! Gotta use what you can get.

When my fillets are partially cured, I smooth them with my finger dipped in alcohol. They come out very nice.

Looking forward to more updates.

hello. the exterior job was done, all fiberglassed and some more hands of bare epoxy. then in time to a little splash at the pool and test the stability...
    works fine, stable and probably a nice boat to row.

20220925_180906.jpg

then i moved to work the inside, first protect all surfaces with 110 grm2 twill fiberglass..

20221003_195740.jpg

then the forward and rear area, was covered by a 9 mm board to leaves this like flotation chambers, later will add a small plug to release air or ventilate.

the board was fixed on site easily with the stapple gun from my wife, she use it for his upholstery job and i must to say is a good tool too for wood workers.

20221004_182748.jpg

then i add some fillets at every corner, sand them very soft and apply more glass to the interior.

20221010_172758.jpg

after the interior was more or less done i flip over the boat to fix there the skeg. again with the help of some air stapples and epoxy fillets. looking like a boat now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good!