Thread: More Talk about Small Boat Voyaging at Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

Default More Talk about Small Boat Voyaging at Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

For those attending the above-noted festival in a couple of weeks, who are interested in hearing stories about voyaging on the British Columbia coast in small, self-built wooden boats, I will be giving a talk on Sunday, Sep 11th at 10:30 on the Adventure Stage.

Here is how I described the talk to the Festival organizers:
    Becoming Coastal - Twenty-five years of adventure in self-built small boats
    The size of the adventure is not dependent on the size of the boat and my presentation will be a demonstration of that. It will feature stories, images and maps from journeys that I describe in a book I published just before the pandemic hit. The book is called “Becoming Coastal”, sub-titled “25 years of exploration and discovery of the British Columbia coast by paddle, oar and sail”. The journeys cover everything from short getaways to multi-week expeditions, all in wooden boats I built. I’ll show how I built 5 different boats over the years, beginning with a solo kayak, and culminating in a sail and oar boat of my own design, which I rowed and sailed the length of the Inside Passage. I’ll speak of the joys and the adversities of self-propelled travel and adventure. I’ll cover wildlife, weather and nature, and some of the interesting people that I’ve met on the coast of British Columbia. I’ll give a personal perspective on acquiring the necessary physical and mental skills for solo travelling. I’ll tell the story of how I discovered for myself the coast's geography, its ecology, its people and my own growing capabilities. Above all, I’ll encourage everyone to get out and experience the coast for themselves.

See you there
    Alex

“It's only those who do nothing that make no mistakes, I suppose.”
    - Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Default Re: More Talk about Small Boat Voyaging at Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Default Re: More Talk about Small Boat Voyaging at Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival

I wish I were a bit closer, Alex. Have fun with your presentation!

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

"Good Bruce"...aka Bruce Bateau is doing some small boat tawk as well !!
    bad bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    I wish I were a bit closer, Alex. Have fun with your presentation!

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    "Good Bruce"...aka Bruce Bateau is doing some small boat tawk as well !!
    bad bruce
    Thanks, all!

I caught up with "good Bruce" for coffee on the last leg of his journey but I am looking forward to hearing more about it in detail.
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Thanks, all!

I caught up with "good Bruce" for coffee on the last leg of his journey but I am looking forward to hearing more about it in detail.
    Alex, I hope you'll catch up with me for coffee this time around too, perhaps on your new boat?

-Bruce
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bateau View Post
    Alex, I hope you'll catch up with me for coffee this time around too, perhaps on your new boat?

-Bruce
    Count on it!
    Alex