Thread: Lock him up?

Default Lock him up?

After today's release of the redacted affidavit, some of the talking heads are saying that it will all lead to Trump being indicted.
    Chances are that Garland won't indict until after the mid-term elections.
    That is on Nov. 8, 2022.
    With our snail-pace justice system for the rich and powerful, can Trump be tried, convicted and sent off to federal prison in one year before the 2024 campaign season goes into full swing?
    I very much doubt it, which means that he'll be running for president while under indictment and going through a trial.
    There are those who say that there is no way he can win the primary with that hanging over his head. Nonsense. The nomination is his for the asking no matter what.
    Things are going to get very interesting.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Default Re: Lock him up?

Interesting? I'm leaning more toward nauseating.

The DoJ has a policy of never indicting a sitting president.
    What if Trump is indicted and his trial doesn't start until after he is inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2025?
    Can a sitting president be tried and convicted?
    Far fetched? Up until the era of Trump I would have said yes.
    But, these are strange times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What if Trump is indicted and his trial doesn't start until after he is inaugurated on Jan. 20, 2025?
    Make sure anyone who does not want the Orange Cretin get politically active and help make sure he loses the election a 2nd time. Answer to your question.

Default Lock him up?

Yes.

The DoJ "policy" holding that the President may not be indicted was cut from whole cloth during Watergate (1973?) in an attempt to shield Richard Milhouse Nixon from prosecution. Not worth the paper it was printed on.

The Constitution has one explicit grant of immunity -- to members of the Congress. Art. I Sect. 6:

"The Senators and Representatives . . . shall in all cases, except treason, felony and breach of the peace, be privileged from arrest during their attendance at the session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any speech or debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other place.

Since that exists, and no such explicit grant of immunity was provided the President, precedent holds that he has no implied immunity.

If the President becomes unable to perform his job for whatever reason, say, being tried for espionage or being locked up in Federal prison, the VP takes over. Amendment XXV, Sections 3 and 4. https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxxv

No man is above the law.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Hmmm, how does the DoJ feel about Harris……..?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Surely there are GOP voters who can't vote a man charged with such crimes into the office of POTUS?
    Surely that is the realm of die hard, dem-haters? That can't be enough votes to win POTUS.

Tell me it ain't so!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

If they do lock him up, it will be ugly. Maybe ugly enough for a pardon, as nauseating as that would be.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Surely there are GOP voters who can't vote a man charged with such crimes into the office of POTUS?
    Surely that is the realm of die hard, dem-haters? That can't be enough votes to win POTUS.

Tell me it ain't so!
    Unfortunately, Gypsie, there are moves afoot to place 'the right folks' in places of authority in State governments to help 'assure' the proper election results " No Sir, we didn't see ANY votes for T*****'s opponents ! "

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    If they do lock him up, it will be ugly. Maybe ugly enough for a pardon, as nauseating as that would be.
    A pardon would totally erase his crimes and he could run for office in 2024.
    I believe commuting the sentence would mean he was still a convicted felon but would do no time but would also
    not be able to hold public office again.
    Still, I wonder if there is enough time to try and convict before the 2024 election.

Losing track here, now what number witch hunt are we on?

× - 1 , obviously ( x being the ultimate one which has him bringing out the damp golf towel - just saying )

That DoJ policy (https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...24-p0222_0.pdf), is, IMO, one of the most dangerous opinions ever issued. It ignores the fact that our political system has a plan of succession. It also ignores the fact that our president is just another citizen, not an absolute ruler.

In the event that a criminal charge worthy of indictment is met (some sort of filter will be required to eliminate civil or nuisance lawsuits) perhaps the rues of succession should just be applied temporarily while the indictment is made and the case is heard. We offer no such coddling for impeachment. Maybe the indictment should be considered grounds for impeachment?

Certainly this opens up a huge can of worms, legally, but nobody should be above the law.

Bottom line - with these pending charges, he should be ineligible to run. While we are a nation of ‘innocent until proven guilty’, how would we deal with a presidential candidate, president elect, or sitting president found guilty of crimes that make him or her ineligible to hold the office?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
    So, you would be perfectly OK if Obama had boxes of top-secret documents stashed in his basement?

lol. what a wuss.

call us back in twenty years, if your boy is still relevant.

BFB7D293-71D8-4FEA-BAA8-E6B9DB12FE7E.jpg

well played lee baxter
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

served as u.s. secretary of state a decade+ after her "filegate". thirty years+ after the events of "whitewater".

So, you would be perfectly OK if Obama had boxes of top-secret documents stashed in his basement?
    Yep, just like someone had a server in her closet with classified information on it, which was BTW was hacked, your double standard holds no water.

Yep, just like someone had a server in her closet with classified information on it, which was BTW was hacked, your double standard holds no water.
    your boy was potus for four years, couldn't even get a warrant served. what a weak suck.

"lock her up!" lol.

Aren't we getting ahead of things? Let's see if he's charged, if he's tried, and if he's convicted.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    Aren't we getting ahead of things? Let's see if he's charged, if he's tried, and if he's convicted.
    That is my question: Can he be charged, tried and convicted before the 2024 primary campaign season starts up?
    DoJ policy is not to charge people close to an election.
    Will he be able to abuse the courts system to run down the clock. He is a master at this tactic in all his other legal dealings.

What Hillary did wasn't her brightest move but not illegal. She was told that it was improper to have secret stuff on that server (four documents, not hundreds like Trump). She also did this while in office. Her basement, unlike Trump's, is not stacked to the ceiling with secret documents.

Do you feel it was proper for Trump to have this stuff in his basement? I don't expect an answer because you never do, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

What Hillary did wasn't her brightest move but not illegal. She was told that it was improper to have secret stuff on that server (four documents, not hundreds like Trump). She also did this while in office. Her basement, unlike Trump's, is not stacked to the ceiling with secret documents.

Do you feel it was proper for Trump to have this stuff in his basement? I don't expect an answer because you never do, but I thought I'd ask anyway.
    The other thing that gets me is the T**** administration's use of private email/communications to carry on government business - where are those records and communications? Hillary's stuff was "all there".
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It's the same witch, when they catch him I hope they give him the float test

It's truly sad that it isn't trumps guilt that's in question, it's whether your embarrassing abortion of a legal system can do anything about it. JayInOz

Did trump improperly handle secret documents? Yes. Did he lie about it? Of course he did. Will anything come of it? Doubtful.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    It's the same witch, when they catch him I hope they give him the float test
    Or build a bridge out of him.

Use him as a speed bump.

If he gave away any secrets that's treason and deserving of more than a few days in the cooler.
    If he ever drinks the brew of 10 tanna leaves, he will become a monster the likes of which the world has never seen

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Or build a bridge out of him.
    Ah--but can you not also build a bridge out of stone?

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com