Thread: riddle of the sands-esque

Default riddle of the sands-esque

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: riddle of the sands-esque

Could easily be the Manukau harbour.

Oh, I am so there.

Read that book, too. Was not that impressed. Can't understand why sailors seem to consider it some sort of great literature. I suspect folks are just enchanted with the Author's life.

Do you know anything about the boat or photo, Pablo? I just love it.

nope

I believe this pic is posted here before, if I remember it correctly it was a discussion about an island or a port somewhere in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Read that book, too. Was not that impressed. Can't understand why sailors seem to consider it some sort of great literature. I suspect folks are just enchanted with the Author's life.
    I knew nothing at all about the author or his life the first time I read "The Riddle of the Sands," yet I found the book, itself, completely enchanting.

If you found the book good enough to finish, regardless of your apparent rejection of the author's life choices outside of his authorship, I'd suggest that you might owe the man's memory some gratitude for the enjoyment you found in those hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Very atmospheric! Thanks!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

jimmy w!

My opinion of the book has absolutely nothing to with the Author. I mentioned him only because his background is rather colorful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    I knew nothing at all about the author or his life the first time I read "The Riddle of the Sands," yet I found the book, itself, completely enchanting.

If you found the book good enough to finish, regardless of your apparent rejection of the author's life choices outside of his authorship, I'd suggest that you might owe the man's memory some gratitude for the enjoyment you found in those hours.

Tudor Collins, the photographer

The scene buying the gear is fantastic, as is its continuation, throwing stuff over the side.

Survivors from the shipwrecked 'Niagara'. Shows a group in a lifeboat. Most probably taken by Tudor Washington Collins in June 1940.

Tudor Washington Collins' memoir says that he was the only photographer who managed to get out to meet the survivors of the 'Niagara' coming ashore.

You can copy this item for personal use, share it, and post it on a blog or website. It cannot be used commercially without permission, please ask us for advice. If reproducing this item, please maintain the integrity of the image (i.e. don't crop, recolour or overprint it), and ensure the following credit accompanies it:

Collins, Tudor Washington, 1898-1970: Photograph of survivors from the shipwrecked Niagara. Ref: PAColl-8634. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/22902802

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Tudor Collins, the photographer

If that were Hemingway, they'd say, "Such toxic masculinity!"
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    The scene buying the gear is fantastic, as is its continuation, throwing stuff over the side.
    The slow and (OK, oh-so-overwritten) first chapter "I'm really bored. I wish something would happen" is like blue touch-paper before the match is applied. It's the first real spy thriller, and re-read here yearly, at least.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Image definitely evokes the book!

I enjoyed the book.
    The 'sequel' by a different author, not so much.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Whenever I invite someone cruising, it never fails that I'm tempted to ridicule their "Portmanteau"

Part of the fascination is the fact that the book was written in 1903 or 5, basically 10 years before the first world war. So as the build up escalated it was seen as prophetic.
    The Mullet boat in the Op has an Auckland registration which is why I thought it was probably Aucklands sacrificial harbour, the Manukau. Its shallow and rife with banks like that, I grew up next to it and latterly my family looked at it every day from our or their family home. Its the sacrificial harbour because its where all the industry , sewerage and general pollution was dumped or 'treated' for most of the last century, saving the Waitemata, 11 miles away across the ithmus, for most marine pursuits. The Waitemata is deep and pretty and ranges out into the rather excellent cruising ground of the Hauraki gulf. The Manukau has a very dangerous bar and is exposed to the prevailing Westerly winds .
    But I see Pam has identified it as the Whangateau harbour , a tiny little and shallow harbour with a bar entrance or very narrow channel about an hour North of Auckland by car.
    The boat itself is of the old generation mullet boat, ie a working fishing boat style and it has a raised cabin added. Later Mulleties became a lot beamier , known for over sized rigs and hard drinking and hard racing . There are still a few gaff boats around or boats changed back to gaff, but most are 22 ft bermudan rigged now.

^ Thanks for the history and local lore, John!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I was also unimpressed and wondered what all the acclaim was about.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    The slow and (OK, oh-so-overwritten) first chapter "I'm really bored. I wish something would happen" is like blue touch-paper before the match is applied. It's the first real spy thriller, and re-read here yearly, at least.

Andy
    I also love it. Would have run guns with Erskine and his wife for Republican causes anytime....liked the real Asgard's dinghy , would suffer the novel's converted lifeboat's flaws, or even the movie's yacht. As a spy novel it is also good in a Hardy Boys sort of way. But then, I think A Spy of the Old School by Julian Rathbone is as good as the genre gets...