Thread: Dinghy sailor question?

Default Dinghy sailor question?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. But Im looking for a dinghy size sailor that can fit these categories.
    What size does a dinghy sailor have to be;
    To sit on a side bench to sail and not the floor?
    To be able to launch a boat trailer from a beach and not a ramp?
    To have 3 or 4 people aboard when sailing?
    To carry a small outboard while sailing ?
    Thanks
    Ron
    20 years of 'big' sailboat ownership .

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Dinghy sailor question?

what size is a big boat sailor ?

To sail with 3 or 4 adults, you need something like a Wayfarer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayfarer_(dinghy)

Hardly any dinghies are now sailed sitting on the floor boards, that is sooo 19th C

Launching from a beach depends very much on the beach.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Welcome aboard Ron.
    I sail small dinghies (8-13') sitting in the bottom. Part of that is my size, at 6'5" 230#, if I sit on the side, it heels to windward in most conditions suitable to a dinghy. I owned a 19' dory skiff that would have sailed four. I only ever ramp launched it, it weighed several hundred pounds. More suggestions will follow, and reading this forum will give you ideas and sources of plans. Good luck, keep us posted.

If you want to be able to beach launch it, you probably won't be able to float it off the trailer, which means the main concern here is going to be weight. 3-4 people in a boat light enough to move around by hand isn't the easiest. Maybe Storer's Goat Island Skiff? Can be built to ~125lbs if very careful; 3 seems easy, 4 is probably doable, and people certainly put outboards on them (though _sailing_ with an outboard, unless stored low, on such a light boat may not work, as it'd drag the stern).
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.

You should probably clarify whether beach launching means using a vehicle on the beach, or moving it by hand (dragging it or on a dolly). Big difference, especially when you want it big enough for 4 and an outboard.

It's tempting to look at boat length, but I think you need to look harder at beam width. If you are actually going to be sailing with 3-4, the boat needs to be wide enough to withstand that load, and by that I mean not respond every time a passenger shifts two inches. Four on a dinghy will be close, without a doubt, and everyone is going to get uncomfortable real quickly if they feel they must be frozen in position for a long time.

Here would be my take: if the designer or users say it can be rowed, it should be off your list. I would also avoid anything double ended, because if you are looking for capacity that's a lot of "empty length." (exception would be Caledonia Yawl if that can be beach-launched)

There are others who have more experience than I do, but my suggestions for capacity would be Vivier's "classic open sail boats" on his webpage, a B&B Core Sound. Maybe an Arch Davis Ace 14?

Hi, and welcome.

My thoughts.

Capacity of four, for sailing, most probably means 14 feet loa minimum. At 15-16 feet, you will find plenty of designs with side benches, although conditions may still warrant sailing from the floorboards at times. You can launch a pretty big boat from the beach if using a vehicle and trailer...much bigger than any boat that fits your parameters. Launching by hand will probably mean a 14 foot boat max.

Good luck
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBTC View Post
    You should probably clarify whether beach launching means using a vehicle on the beach, or moving it by hand (dragging it or on a dolly). Big difference, especially when you want it big enough for 4 and an outboard.
    Again, depending on the boat and the beach, inflatable cylindrical fenders make good rollers for moving a dinghy around on a beach. And they float, which is always a good thing with dinghys.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Hi, and welcome.

My thoughts.

Capacity of four, for sailing, most probably means 14 feet loa minimum. At 15-16 feet, you will find plenty of designs with side benches, although conditions may still warrant sailing from the floorboards at times. You can launch a pretty big boat from the beach if using a vehicle and trailer...much bigger than any boat that fits your parameters. Launching by hand will probably mean a 14 foot boat max.

Good luck
    Sorry about that, yes I want to launch and retrieve the boat from the trailer attached to my pickup.
    Last edited by RonE1958; 08-26-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Yeah I was looking at the B &B core sound just the other day..
    Last edited by RonE1958; 08-26-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonE1958 View Post
    Sorry about that, yes I want launch and retrieve the boat from the trailer attached to my pickup.
    My boat angling club does that from both a ramp and a flat sandy beach. Just be weary of soft bits where bait diggers have been working, and don't leave a vibrating diesel truck running on wet sand.

Wow those Vivier designs are on another level. How can you not for in luv with the llur. What a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by RonE1958 View Post
    Wow those Vivier designs are on another level. How can you not fall in love with the llur. What a beauty!
    Right, get busy. We will see you in a year or so when you have completed the Ilur

I did build an Oughtred double ender in about 5 months of spare time. But only good for three people. The Caledonian Yawl is a lot bigger, but not so launching friendly.
    A2

Are you looking to build or buy?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk