Thread: so ya think you got mad mtb skills and you're a fair drone pilot to boot

Default so ya think you got mad mtb skills and you're a fair drone pilot to boot

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: so ya think you got mad mtb skills and you're a fair drone pilot to boot

That looks fun AF.

Default Re: so ya think you got mad mtb skills and you're a fair drone pilot to boot

Not a lot of room to recover is you start to lose control. Wow

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Behind the scenes.

Except for the jumping part, that run would be fun for me at a lot slower speed. That the fellow in the video can race it... FAST, speaks to the vast differences in we human types. He is cut from different cloth than I was.

Jeff

Looks fun for someone else.

They have some “auto follow and collision avoidance” stuff out there. Will get better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    They have some “auto follow and collision avoidance” stuff out there. Will get better and better.
    this was manually flown

I agree. I am past the age that I can even fantasize about doing that.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

My favorite parts are the stair sets at the top, that get jumped like doubles, and the berm jumps. Berm jumps are radical fun.

Unrelated to the video, but berm related, Louise Chiffon (the Pomeranian) has discovered the berms in our yard. When she gets on a crazy running jag, she does the “big loop” in the yard, and rails the berms like a damned NASCAR. It’s wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    gawd that’s insane

They are all manually flown and they all have “auto follow and collision avoidance” and it’s freaking AMAZING how well it works. My drone has those features even when I am manually controlling it.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    They are all manually flown and they all have “auto follow and collision avoidance” and it’s freaking AMAZING how well it works. My drone has those features even when I am manually controlling it.
    watch the video jimmy posted
    this drone was flown manually via vr goggles

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    gawd that’s insane

Nah. It’s just a set of skills you build. None of these courses are run blind, you know?

I have a horrible story about downhill racing. At Keyesville some 20 years ago, a racer I knew died on the course because someone had moved rocks on the course AFTER the last walk through, in violation of all the rules. After the final walk through (when all the riders walk [and ride in spurts or sections] the course to find lines, obstacles, and etc.) NOBODY is allowed on the course except officials, and NOBODY is allowed to alter the course.

Just like any racing, riders make their own markers for when to brake, where to ride, when to turn which way, and etc. You create a mental map, and ride to that. There is no time to react, really, it must be “in there”, just like car and motorbike racing.

Anywho, this was around the time when people started jumping switchbacks to save time, because it’s WAY quicker to jump across a switchback than to slow down and make the turns.

So? So, one of the dudes racing with us jumped a switchback he had set up with rock ramps, but someone had moved the landing rock; dude ended up smashing full force into the rock and died on scene. RIP EarthQuake Jake.

It’s serious business m to be sure, but that’s half the thrill; it requires laser focus and nerves of steel, even though it’s just riding stupid kid bikes.

I still love the sensation of jumping a bike, even though I NEVER jump anymore. Ahem.

I don't think I have either of those, and I'm right.

Sticky tires are a plus.

Insane.......great to watch.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

More drone coverage of fancy riding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2EpYdhj9a8&t=10s

Yes. Manually controlled. Soon, they will just follow you and take video you can upload to wbf.

24/7 live feed. Will be awesome.

Amateur hour. Any fool can see that's a hill, not a mountain. Probably why he's on a downhill bike, not an mtb .

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

If I had to film that stunt I would fly the drone down the path slowly while I walked beside it, fine-tuning position and camera angles, and then just let it re-follow the path on autopilot while controlling only speed.

this was manually flown
    Passenger getting off the plane commented that it was a nice landing, the man behind her chimed in and said it was the computer. We’re capable of incredible things give enough practice.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

watch the video jimmy posted
    this drone was flown manually via vr goggles

Best way to fly.

But, what Joe said: target tracking is available and used at the same time.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Passenger getting off the plane commented that it was a nice landing, the man behind her chimed in and said it was the computer. We’re capable of incredible things give enough practice.
    The last time I flew, one of the landings was crazy. Crazy. Wings wagging, throttle up and down, a little shaking; the whole nine.

The pilot eventually set the plane down so gently, I thought we were still in the air. It was an amazing show of skill. I can’t imagine how someone could make such a smooth landing in such tyring conditions.

my last flight, "use caution when opening the overhead bins; sure as hell after a landing like that items have shifted"

When you land here, they don’t slam on the brakes, because they have about 300 miles of runway. The dude sitting next to me FREAKED out.