Thread: Shame of Thrones.

Default Shame of Thrones.

Why do they do this to us when there are so many more noble things they could make into epic entertainment. I may watch another episode anyway but it’s annoying when human history is so rich and all they can think of is dragons and Dracula.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Shame of Thrones.

I just saw an advert for series one of "She Hulk- Attorney At Law". Dunno whether to laugh or cry. JayInOz

Dracarus.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Finally watching Yellowstone. Decent soap opera for $4.99 a month. Great scenery, but still a soap opera.

Gotta get through Season 4, so I can cancel Peacock.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Finally watching Yellowstone. Decent soap opera for $4.99 a month. Great scenery, but still a soap opera.

The prequel, 1883, is good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Some of Yellowstone is filmed around here. A neighbor’s ranch adjacent to my place is the setting for a few scenes. I still haven’t watched any of it yet, other than a few trailers which turned me off.

I quite like 1883.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    oh jeez that’ll cut into my you tube time

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    it’s annoying when human history is so rich and all they can think of is dragons and Dracula.
    You can always switch to History Channel and watch documentaries about how aliens built the pyramids.

A while back, there was a thread on stuff we’ve learned from television.

I kept meaning to post “In Montana, all disputes are settled with a homicide.”

Do not watch fiction usually, there's more than enough blood and gore in the real world.

There was not one character in the premier episode I felt any sympathy for. In the initial GoT episode you got a good look at the Starks and were almost immediately drawn into that family and it hooked you. In that very first episode we saw the dutiful, responsible Lord Edard Stark. His lady, the lioness, watching over her cubs. Rob, the dutiful son. Jon, the one who always tried too hard to win everyone's approval, only to fail in the end. Stansa, the starry-eyed. Arya, the independent. Bran, just a boy, like all boys. Always getting into something. I don't remember seeing Rikon in that first episode. And of course, Theon. You could say a lot about Theon just from that first episode.

I saw nothing last night that I will remember next week, let alone ten years from now. I find Mr. Martin's books to be boring, so I never dug into what this was supposed to be about. Hopefully it gets better.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Gotta love Tyrion in the first GoT. Such a great role for Peter Dinklage and he had such fun with it. Star of the show.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

Tyrion is one of the more memorable characters in film or television in the last decade or so, and Dinklage was superb. I think he essentially played the same character he did in ‘the station agent’. He was awesome.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    He was awesome.

Mickey Lake
    he almost single handedly saved the final season of got
    almost. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

There was not one character in the premier episode I felt any sympathy for.
    That was my reaction to the first book in the series. I have seen only a few episodes of the TV production. In the books as well, Tyrion is one of the few I care about at all, and he is, at best, a very flawed character.

I wish Mr. Martin would finish the damn books!

My youngest is one of those who thinks the final season of GoT was a bust, and we were talking about it yesterday. I reminded her of 'the long night' and that that was one of the most amazing pieces of entertainment ever filmed. She smiled and said 'yeah, I have to admit it was'. Incredible.

I write stories in my 'spare' time. Not very good ones, but stories, nonetheless. Stand-alone short stories. Novellas. A couple of novels. I am working on a novel right now. Anyway, when I watch a program like Game of Thrones I try to figure out how I would have written it had I had that chance, and being 100% honest, the way they ended GoT was about their only option, unless they wanted to wind it up open-ended with a million questions being unanswered.

I really do hope they work on the rumored 'Jon Snow' story north of the Wall. I think that has a lot of potential.

Mickey Lake

#12: To be fair, The Expanse almost lost me with the first episode, but I hung in there and by episode 3 I was hooked.

Perhaps this will be the same. I will give it a try, at any rate.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

On a positive note "Jaws" is going to appearing on IMAX screens starting 9/2. Whether the special effects will stand up to IMAX remains to be seen but it is a movie worth watching.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    On a positive note "Jaws" is going to appearing on IMAX screens starting 9/2. Whether the special effects will stand up to IMAX remains to be seen but it is a movie worth watching.
    Quad and I saw a re-release of Jurassic Park in RealD and IMAX, and it was wonderful. Not at all like the old 3D, and the IMAX treatment did it justice.

I’d go watch Jaws in IMAX. Just sit WAY back in the theater.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    A couple of years ago our kids and a bunch of their friends watched Jaws.
    We (adults) jumped on it to try to prevent it - remembering how it impacted us and our using the water, and the impact it had on local shark populations globally.

They were bored senseless by it and found the actual shark ridiculous.

Me thinks the best part of the jaws movie is not the effects - its the characters like Quint. Not sure IMAX is the best way to experience that.

GOT - it worked, for a while, partly because there was always a character you really cared about - AND - a character you really hated. You invested in it. When they started to fizz away it lost its grip.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Agreed. We really enjoyed it.

#21: After watching Jaws I wouldn't even go into Vermont ponds. LOL>
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

We enjoyed House of Dragons. I had no idea who anyone was either, but what's new.

If you're looking for something to watch, I recommend Prey. Or Shoresy.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

"Jaws" the book is worth reading too.

There are definitely some scenes from the movie that still haunt me, the main one being the one where a head rolls out of the bottom of the boat. We used to spend summers snorkeling the kelp beds off Isla Vista and I always expected to find something scary in the rocks. Didn't stop me from doing it or spending countless days surfing.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Apparently swimming off Malibu beaches puts you closer to great whites than you’d think.

Surfing on the Central Coast does, too. I’ve been in the water with them. Scary AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post

If you're looking for something to watch, I recommend Prey.
    I thought the concept of Prey interesting and enjoyed watching it.

Prior to watching it I’d heard and read reviews, all touting how historically accurate and authentic everything was with respect to all things Comanche; culture, language, dress, etc. But why then did they set it in the northern plains and mountains of western Alberta? Long ways from the southern plains of Comancheria.

And it needed more horses. Lots more. Some mules and burros too.

I liked the yellow dog.

If I remember my history right, the horse went extinct on the North American continent thousands of years before they were re-introduced by the colonizers.

Fact checking myself via Wikipedia:
    While genus Equus, of which the horse is a member, originally evolved in North America, these horse relatives became extinct on the continent approximately 8,000–12,000 years ago. In 1493, on Christopher Columbus' second voyage to the Americas, Spanish horses, representing E. caballus, were brought back to North America, first to the Virgin Islands; they were introduced to the continental mainland by Hernán Cortés in 1519. From early Spanish imports to Mexico and Florida, horses moved north, supplemented by later imports to the east and west coasts brought by British, French, and other European colonists. Native peoples of the Americas quickly obtained horses and developed their own horse culture.[5][6]
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Like a LOT of other larger American species, they became extinct not that long after humans arrived from Asia. Must have been tasty.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman