Thread: AirBNB Europe phone problem

Default AirBNB Europe phone problem

We're getting ready to head to Europe in a few days- Yay! I'm sort of painted into a corner with AirBNB, though. We're staying at a place in Spain. My phone won't work in Europe, so I'll be getting a prepaid SIM card on arrival. The problem is that the AirBNB account is linked to my US phone number. I won't know the European phone number until I get it, so I can't add that phone number to my account until I'm actually in Europe. It seems like all of the communication goes through the phone, and the number I'm registered under. Anyone know how to sort this out? I should have bought a European SIM card ahead of time, but it's too late now; we leave Monday AM.

Default Re: AirBNB Europe phone problem

Dual SIM phones are great, but assuming you don't have one.. you can just add your EU number to air BnB when you arrive. Don't forget you can use wi-fi almost everywhere which requires no SIM.

I just went with the $100 additional a month unlimited international plan with my Verizon iPhone and it’s be absolutely seamless, everything else I just use wife like I am doing now .
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

If you have a laptop with you, you can edit the Airbnb phone number....

Airbnb phone support is an adventure all by itself.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

The problem is that everything AirBnB goes through your phone. If I want to change the phone number, they send a verification to your OLD number; no help if I'm already in Europe.

I went a different route, and signed up with another carrier (T-Mobile) and the plan includes international travel. They transferred my old number, so now everything is the same as it was, plus international use. After a month, I'll switch back, as Total is half the price of T-Mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I just went with the $100 additional a month unlimited international plan with my Verizon iPhone and itís be absolutely seamless, everything else I just use wife like I am doing now .
    freudian?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Wi-Fi gets auto corrected to wife sorry Renee

Hoem from dinner and gelato 11:30 pm Rome Time nighty night Vatican tomorrow then back to Florence

Once again from my experience. If the air bnb is not what was in the ad, start taking pics before you call
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I've used air bnb a lot and I don't even own a smartphone. Email works. Often there is just a code to the keybox that you need. Also the app on your phone will work in every Cafe on wifi.

It seems people can barely survive without their phones....

Whatsapp is useful for changing countries frequently, it uses your original phone number no matter what Sim you put in, Europeans are very familiar with using it.

Everyone of the multiple Airbnbs we are using Italy use WhatsApp to communicate

We survived our Europe trip! The T-Mobile plan did not work well, though. Sometimes yes, sometimes no; it was hit-or-miss. For 1-1/2 days, it decided not to work at all, which made driving interesting. As a back-up, I had printed out MapQuest maps of each leg of the trip, which saved our bacon that day. We found out that street signs in the Basque country are written both in Spanish and Basque, so there was twice the information that we needed. Yes, there is such a thing as too much information, especially when driving in a foreign country. My wife was the navigator, and her pronunciation of Spanish is dreadful, which didn't help. T-Mobile is going to get an earful.