Thread: Bottom paint...

Default Bottom paint...

Yeadon got it in my head I can paint the bottom in my back yard...I've been imagining how to lift the boat off the trailer and starting to build confidence but then went looking at anti foul paint and oh my. I'm lost. There's so many types. Any recommendations? I've heard some need to be in the water asap to be effective so I would like to avoid those since I have not found moorage yet. The hull is glued ply coated in epoxy.

Edit: Probably important to note we plan to keep it in the water and most likely salt water.
    Last edited by skerry; 08-19-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Default Re: Bottom paint...

I have settled on Hydrocoat. It goes on easily (water based, paints on like latex house paint) has no nasty fumes, does not seem to be bothered by off-seasons or other periods out of the water and will gradually remove itself - which if you ever had to sand off old dead bottom paint is a really big deal. That's one of the truly nasty jobs of boat work. It's tough enough to take the occasional knocks of trailering and it is easy to touch up any spots which are wearing down. I had tried some of the epoxy versions (horrible to remove) a vinyl version (didn't work terribly well here and also had to be sanded off) and was really happy when I finally found the Hydrocoat.

I had their red on this one and black on our trimaran.

nordica 4 copy.jpg

Default Bottom paint...

Keeping it in water and salt water?

The right bottom paint is what works in your water.

Different waters, different critters.

Ask around at the local marinas. Ask for recommendations at your local chandlery.

And if you don't yet have moorage, don't put on bottom paint until you're going to splash her.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Nicholas is right I think, from what I've seen on here and other sailing forums, plus some experience myself. Different antifouling works best in different places, speak to locals at where you intend to moor on what's best to use.
    Also make note of their type of sailing, antifoul performs differently if you don't move for a month between sails, to some where people sail a couple of days a week.

When I lived in the Hebrides the waters was clear pure salt water, where near where I live now East coast of Norfolk and Suffolk the moorings are muddy water, heavy with farming fertilizer of the past...

Locally a lot of people use VC17(m) but that's mostly fresh water, with a bit of brackish water if we sail down river.
    The VC range of anti foul are good in that you can paint anytime, with no must launch by time, they need very little preparation between annual recoats not much more than a wash off and a quick rub down.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

I've been using Seahawk AF33 for a while now. Works well on this side of the Salish, better if I use the boat regularly but then is is a hard ablative paint.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I like a hard antifouluing. Trinidad fer me.
    I dunno ikf it's even legal in Wa anymore, did Gregoires anti antifouling get pushed off timewise?

Yes, the no-copper rule keeps getting deferred...
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Based on Steve's success with the Sea Hawk Af33 I put it on Emily Ruth this past spring. So far so good. Usually by this time in the summer there is a growth of green just below the waterline. Nothing like that, this year! When we quit for the season this fall I will trailer the boat and see the entire bottom.

Jeff

if the no copper rule is getting lip service.. THEN WHY FART AROUND WITH HIPPIE PAINT ?????

Af33 is good, but for a boat that might spend winters on a trailer I would want something harder, preferably also with copper. The ablative is more appropriate for a solid wood boat. A harder paint won't scrape off as easy on the trailer and will bond to prepared epoxy better than ablative.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    if the no copper rule is getting lip service.. THEN WHY FART AROUND WITH HIPPIE PAINT ?????
    AF33 is 33% copper, still too hippie?
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    AF33 is 33% copper, still too hippie?
    that's half of Trinidad

From Fisheries Supply:
    Trinidad is Pettit's hard, modified epoxy range of antifouling paints.
    With an industry-leading 65% copper load, Trinidad PRO is the premiere member of the updated (2021) three-member Trinidad bottom paint family.
    It provides multi-year protection against barnacles and other salt and fresh water fouling organisms - offering superior performance even in severe fouling tropical waters.

All that for $412/gallon...unless you get the blue, then it's $435.

I have enough AF33 on the shelf for one more season of bottom paint, maybe next go-round I'll try the Trinidad.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

You will regret it when the time comes that it is no longer working (the copper gradually leeches out as it works and that is what makes it work in the first place) and you get to the point where you don't feel comfortable just piling more new stuff on top of an ugly layer of dead paint. Then it is sanding time and you start to understand why it says "epoxy" in the name. Been there, done that, certainly won't do it again.

Good point.

I unintentionally got red instead of my usual black paint, figured I would use it and see just how "ablative"it really is.
    Steve

H.A. Calahan

it comes right off with a rotex or a softpad/polisher
    i'm loathe to let anti fouling add up and take most of it off every summer ....during storage
    i put it over interlux 2000 which finishes up very "hard"

over bare wood, yea , it's gonna be a bear to get off. i never do that and never reccommend it

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I have settled on Hydrocoat.
    Thought that name sounded familiar… I started using waterborne finishes back in the ‘90’s after seeing their polyurethane varnish at a woodworkers supply place in Glenview Il. They’re still in business it appears!

http://www.hydrocote.com/distributors.htm

Which is good news!! Thanks Todd!

Thanks all, I'm a dirty hippie and might give the non toxic stuff a roll this year and see how it goes. Seems promising.

They’re still in business it appears!
    I think that's a different company. The antifouling paint I use comes from Petit.

https://www.amazon.com/Pettit-Hydroc...d_gw_ci_mcx_mi

I've used a lot of General Finishes water-based pre-cat urethane varnish on guitar bodies, sprayed and then sanded/buffed, but haven't tried it on boats. I don't know how it would hold up, compared to traditional varnishes.

jf-005.jpg