Thread: Mattapoisett Boat Yard..

Default Mattapoisett Boat Yard..

is gone.

FEEADFB7-EA57-4322-8A76-914C454E2C3D.jpg

Big fire - my brother reports, nada left.. been 15 years since I last sailed by.. Damn. Lotta nice, old, gone.

sippican.theweektoday.com/article/updated-ongoing-fire-mattapoisett-boatyard/59390

Default Re: Mattapoisett Boat Yard..

MBY was the cause of my lifelong fascination and love of boatyards. We spent our summer vacations on the beach right next to the pier, watching all the antics at the fuel dock and listening to the equipment running, the vhf, the boaters coming and going. Before the finger piers and the marine lift, they had an old school marine railway setup; before Brownell Boatstands came out, just about every boat had its own cantankerous custom cradle. I used to love my first walk of the year down the drive between the main shop and the yacht club building, with the long row of wooden lockers. I seem to remember being told the original founders started it as a seaplane base? A true landmark, a piece of my heart, and a piece of history. It lives on in the good people around it and I hope they can bring it back.

For sure a landmark.. as well a piece of many a heart.

as to bring back, well.. none of the old buildings would likely pass muster today, and that's a shame.

Very lucky it didn't spread to neighboring homes!
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

My cousin's house borders the property and truly, a little more west in that onshore breeze would have been disasterous to their magnificent hurricane-tested cottage. Last weekend I was talking to my dad who can remember when the site of MBY was an empty pasture. He said it was Burr Brothers who established a boatyard on the property, and while it was never a 'seaplane base' like I misremembered hearing, they had a crony by the name of Ozzy, a seaplane enthusiast, who wanted to establish a sightseeing business based at Burr Bros. As my dad put it, Ozzy was "a bit of a character" and for various reasons, including at least one inverted landing, Ozzy's enterprise never really got going