Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what if the fictional online creation, boatbum

Default what if the fictional online creation, boatbum

really was a creation of botebum?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: what if the fictional online creation, boatbum

i said 'creation', not cretin
    dammit
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

One must wonder -

freudian?

or just happy accident?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

He’s not.

I think he’s you, Paul…..

Which does raise questions about that Freudian slip.

I do love a good mystery. I hope we find out soon! This will give George more excitement than his morning bran.
    Last edited by Boatbum; 08-18-2022 at 11:30 AM.

You had it right the first time.

But no... the original would never engage in such faux-intellectual claptrap.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You had it right the first time.

OMG! You crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    OMG! You crack me up!
    You're welcome! I'm here thru the weekend!! Don't forget to tip your bartender!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

WAY too harsh. Agree with him or not (and I often don't), he's actually a fairly reasonable conservatieve, something we need more of. We have altogether too many of the other kind hiding in the woodpile.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    WAY too harsh. Agree with him or not (and I often don't), he's actually a fairly reasonable conservatieve, something we need more of. We have altogether too many of the other kind hiding in the woodpile.
    Haven't you seen enough of this sort of poseur? There's been enough of them thru the years. I'm sure you don't need anyone to make a list for you. They come on 'reasonable' at first. And they maintain that façade as long as they can. They cede some obvious points in an effort to appear 'fair-minded'. They mostly speak politely.

But their core is (erroneous? twisted? corrupt?)... so they are almost always not able to engage on a collegial level for any length of time.

As their errors are pointed out, they eventually stop attempting to justify their nonsense... and become increasingly defensive, illogical, and sometimes even vituperative. More logical fallacies. More half-truths. More dodgy sourcing. More baseless name-calling and accusations (often falling into the 'every accusation is a confession' category). They paint themselves into a corner, and it ends badly. That's why a large % of them are banned or just gone.

And, as I've mentioned before, too many people here mistake 'well-spoken' or 'surface polite' as fair and open-minded. I would love to have a 'rational conservative' join us. But a soft-spoken dingbat is still a dingbat. I find it a bit frustrating that good-hearted folks so frequently resist recognizing this type. Cue the Phil Ochs soundtrack for liberals...

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Keep it up, David and Paul will send you back to band camp.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

I miss Alf.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Faux intellectual on full display

David - to put it simply: you're wrong. Keith comes much closer to how I feel. If you want to live in an echo chamber, that's your choice, but others of us prefer to hear how others think - even if we disagree with their POV. Yes indeed - others can hold different points of view & I prefer not to see them shouted down & ganged up on.

Just my opinion & worth every penny you paid for it...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

... faux-intellectual claptrap.
    Faux .... claptrap.....?

Is that a double negative, or a tautology?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Gosh. I'm shocked! Yes, shocked! that garret would feel this way.

What's that definition of insanity?

I'd be curious your track record on this issue. (I've got a pretty clear picture of it.)

OTOH, somebody has to enable these folks. Might as well be you two.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by David G
    Haven't you seen enough of this sort of poseur? There's been enough of them thru the years. I'm sure you don't need anyone to make a list for you. They come on 'reasonable' at first. And they maintain that façade as long as they can. They cede some obvious points in an effort to appear 'fair-minded'. They mostly speak politely.

But their core is (erroneous? twisted? corrupt?)... so they are almost always not able to engage on a collegial level for any length of time.

As their errors are pointed out, they eventually stop attempting to justify their nonsense... and become increasingly defensive, illogical, and sometimes even vituperative. More logical fallacies. More half-truths. More dodgy sourcing. More baseless name-calling and accusations (often falling into the 'every accusation is a confession' category). They paint themselves into a corner, and it ends badly. That's why a large % of them are banned or just gone.
    This was the path taken by Sky Blue... still banned.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Gosh. I'm shocked! Yes, shocked! that garret would feel this way.

What's that definition of insanity?

I'd be curious your track record on this issue. (I've got a pretty clear picture of it.)

OTOH, somebody has to enable these folks. Might as well be you two.
    George - I really don't understand where you're coming from & would like to know. Boatbum believes differently than I do - for sure, but what exactly is wrong with wanting to learn why he does?

Some folk come here for an exchange of ideas - and to a certain extent, recognizing 'I could be wrong'. And then we have these other folk, who come to agitate, disrupt, connive. We have a few conservatives that fit the first. And we have a lot of the second, many of them, historically, banned.

Most of us, experienced, can 'figure it out' pretty quickly.

You? You're Charlie Brown, convinced Lucy won't pull the ball away THIS TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This was the path taken by Sky Blue... still banned.
    Yes, one good example.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Some folk come here for an exchange of ideas - and to a certain extent, recognizing 'I could be wrong'. And then we have these other folk, who come to agitate, disrupt, connive. We have a few conservatives that fit the first. And we have a lot of the second, many of them, historically, banned.

The funny thing about this is that being that the majority here is of a liberal mindset, they see themselves as “normal” and “correct” and see other ideas as “wrong”, just needing to be educated so they can see the error of their ways.

The elections should be telling you how much of a liberal echo chamber this place is. Everyone should actually be thankful for the few who think differently that find themselves here, constantly battling to have their voices and opinions heard.

There is far to much of the comfortable armchair of thought here. Well worn and known. No challenge. Nothing ever new.

NO , Decourcy, most of the banned here spouted bs and were called out for it. If you wish to have a discussion here all you must do is be honest and not cite sources that are specious at best.. Most here are at least at or above the national IQ average I hope that you are too! You seem to wish to be fractious..

I’ve never had any real problem with Decourcy or the newest incarnation of Boatbum. I think they’ve both accused me of spouting baloney a few times, and I might have even disparaged them a time or two (probably not, as I’m way too angelic to do such a thing), but it’s no big deal.

It’s just dumb luck that I’m erudite and good looking, and in fact practically perfect in every way, and of course it’s perfectly normal for the mere mortals among you to be beside yourselves with jealousy. Don’t worry—I forgive you.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by LOKI View Post
    NO , Decourcy, most of the banned here spouted bs and were called out for it. If you wish to have a discussion here all you must do is be honest and not cite sources that are specious at best.. Most here are at least at or above the national IQ average I hope that you are too! You seem to wish to be fractious..
    Most of the banned here got pushed over the edge through intentional goading resulting in frustration and words said that shouldn’t have been. Luckily, I’ve learned to shrug off the crap and insults, so I ain’t leavin’!

The ones on the left here (the majority) rarely get called on their sources, because they hold the majority beliefs, while the ones on the right are called on everything. I’m actually pretty centrist. If an American I’d vote Democrat across the board, but in Canada I’d have to vote conservative to have the same political slant. So I’m not sure I qualify as “right wing” anyways. I’m not actually sure most that are called “right wing” here really are either. It’s just used as an insult and to shun.

As to “IQ”, it’s mostly crap measuring a limited number of indicators.

This place is a bit like a university campus. Spend some time talking to the janitors and the maintenance crew, not just the professors, and you won’t be as limited in your views.

And yes, I’m maintenance crew

Got it. Basically I just ain't real bright. However, this idjut would rather waste a little time & possibly learn something than to just ignore & ridicule anyone I disagree with.

To trot out something most learned in Junior High - minds are like parachutes, they work best when open.

Most of the banned here got pushed over the edge through intentional goading resulting in frustration and words said that shouldn’t have been. Luckily, I’ve learned to shrug off the crap and insults, so I ain’t leavin’!

The ones on the left here (the majority) rarely get called on their sources, because they hold the majority beliefs, while the ones on the right are called on everything. I’m actually pretty centrist. If an American I’d vote Democrat across the board, but in Canada I’d have to vote conservative to have the same political slant. So I’m not sure I qualify as “right wing” anyways. I’m not actually sure most that are called “right wing” here really are either. It’s just used as an insult and to shun.

As to “IQ”, it’s mostly crap measuring a limited number of indicators.
    How long have you been here?

We have seen people banned for outright homophobia (two of those) as well as for being down right rude without much in the way of provocation.
    You sound as though you are channeling George on his hobbyhorse. There was only one, now banned themselves, who engineered banning by goading forum members.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

You mean like....You?

This place is a bit like a university campus. Spend some time talking to the janitors and the maintenance crew, not just the professors, and you won’t be as limited in your views.

And yes, I’m maintenance crew
    man, i loved you in the bourne identity

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    How long have you been here?

We have seen people banned for outright homophobia (two of those) as well as for being down right rude without much in the way of provocation.
    You sound as though you are channeling George on his hobbyhorse. There was only one, now banned themselves, who engineered banning by goading forum members.
    Ive seen others targeted, and experienced myself the goading and provocation.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Pretty proud of that piece of work

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Are you trying to be funny, or did you mean Good Will Hunting?

do you really not get the humor or is this just the only way you could think to signal your understanding?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Ha!

I stop by daily, and sometimes post, because I think I might have something to add to the conversation. I often think twice before posting, unless whisky.

I'm in awe of those who fly stuff, draw stuff, make stuff that I could never do.

And then there's the close-minded, here. The Trump trumpets. The 'peel my dying fingers off my innermost beliefs'. 'Specially the my guns and those delighted to be ripped off by healthcare costs until we are paupers.

They, I just don't get. There's no freedom there that I can see.

Andy, socialist humanitarian.
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."