Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artemis 1

Default Artemis 1

Anyone else getting excited about going back to the moon?

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

I have recently watched a number of the Apollo mission documentaries on YouTube - such brave men and an amazing time in US history! I was young at the time, but remember Mom making sure we watched the black and white TV coverage. I still remember holding my breath with the rest of the world while Apollo 13 limped home. The documentaries were a nice refresher.

There is a great deal on Facebook too, but the comments are loaded with the Flat Earthers and the Conspiracy Nuts. The profiles of the conspiracy nuts seem to be similar - poorly educated and too young to have witnessed it. I can't believe we are still talking about a flat earth and a Hollywood stage. Artemis should blow a big hole in the Firmament!!

This trip is unmanned. I only hope I live long enough to see the next manned mission to the moon.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Default Re: Artemis 1

No. The exploration of any part of space close enough to be practical is not the best way to use the space budget. That ,and any base on the moon established by humans will be a military one because that's what we are like and there are enough threats to our existence around already.
    But climate change will likely force us to clean up our act, or die. What use a base on the moon then?
    Last edited by skuthorp; 08-18-2022 at 07:59 AM.

Any money spent on space exploration/colonization is OK in my book. Period.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

The more infrastructure on the moon, the better. Mine the carp out of it for anything needed for deeper space infrastructure or earth supporting systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Anyone else getting excited about going back to the moon?

https://www.nasa.gov/specials/artemis/

I have recently watched a number of the Apollo mission documentaries on YouTube - such brave men and an amazing time in US history! I was young at the time, but remember Mom making sure we watched the black and white TV coverage. I still remember holding my breath with the rest of the world while Apollo 13 limped home. The documentaries were a nice refresher.

There is a great deal on Facebook too, but the comments are loaded with the Flat Earthers and the Conspiracy Nuts. The profiles of the conspiracy nuts seem to be similar - poorly educated and too young to have witnessed it. I can't believe we are still talking about a flat earth and a Hollywood stage. Artemis should blow a big hole in the Firmament!!

This trip is unmanned. I only hope I live long enough to see the next manned mission to the moon.

Fitz
    Yes, it is all very exciting

The price of cheese will go crazy!

I hope the SLS blows up after clearing the pad.

1) it will be awesome to watch.

2) it is the only way to keep more pork from being sunk into this useless, unsustainable, obsolete rocket.

3) it would free up NASA budget $$ for real space exploration.

Heard somewhere that Artemis 1 will actually be crewed if not by humans. I found something on the topic: https://www.esa.int/Science_Explorat..._lunar_mission

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    I hope the SLS blows up after clearing the pad.

1) it will be awesome to watch.

2) it is the only way to keep more pork from being sunk into this useless, unsustainable, obsolete rocket.

3) it would free up NASA budget $$ for real space exploration.
    Love ya George. It sure seems like the SLS is like another MIC system. “It’s what we do!” while Space X is placing many more tons into orbit than has ever been shot up before by one system.

Fitz, I’m not that enamored by Apollo 2.0 although living in a cave on the moon with a view might be cool. I’m all for space exploration in many forms but don’t think human habitation in a hostile environment is required to gain knowledge of that environment. The resources and mass of material needed to allow humans to survive off planet is so much greater than resources needed for the devices that ultimately provide needed data.
    And the whole analogy comparing sea faring explorers in the 1400’s to space exploration now really doesn’t hold up. But if machine intelligence evolves as an offshoot from Homo sapiens I could see “manned” exploration of the solar system working.

If it’s big, $$ and turns fuel into noise, I’m here for it.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    If it’s big, $$ and turns fuel into noise, I’m here for it.
    Have you heard the “DOINK” sounds when a Raptor engine cuts off?

Not excited, I,would,prefer we got back to democracy

3d printing robots. Use moon material for construction. Bring up a few bits of hardware. Solar power. Lots of tunnels. Lots of redundancy. Lots of low gravity science.

it would free up NASA budget $$ for real space exploration
    I am curious as to what more would you do?

NASA and partners have explored much of the solar system and beyond with wonderful probes.

NASA and partners have been robotically exploring Mars for decades.

NASA and partners have been living in Earth orbit for decades as well.

Now we have the James Webb telescope to look further abroad than ever before.

I think there is much to learn with a boots on the ground approach. It is an awe inspiring part of the package.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

We know that moon dust does a lot of damage to space suits and anything else with moving parts.

While I like science, doing science on the moon does seems to be the wrong place.
    Life is complex.

We know that moon dust does a lot of damage to space suits and anything else with moving parts.
    Yes, moon dust is a huge problem. NASA is tackling this. Turns out moon dust is composed of charged particles. So, you produce a space suit "wired" with the opposite charge. They have already done this. Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    No. The exploration of any part of space close enough to be practical is not the best way to use the space budget. That ,and any base on the moon established by humans will be a military one because that's what we are like and there are enough threats to our existence around already.
    But climate change will likely force us to clean up our act, or die. What use a base on the moon then?
    Stuff for the next intelligent species to discover.
    More Far Side cartoons.

NASA and partners have explored much of the solar system and beyond with wonderful probes.

I think there is much to learn with a boots on the ground approach. It is an awe inspiring part of the package.
    Concentrate on the exploration and science part, not climbing out of the gravity well - they just aren't that good at it compared with the other option available to them now.
    Space x can put more tonnage into orbit, more frequently, for less dollars. And FWIW they haven't taken over a decade to get there. Use them for what they are really good at.
    I think a manned lunar mission is exciting, but also an opportunity to prove one way or the other what value boots on the ground add to the science, compared with robotics.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

Besides, it sets up The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress in reality. :-)
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Dad made sure us kids were up and watched all Apollo moon missions in the 1960's.
    I will be watching this with the same fascination and remembering Dad while doing so.
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

For what they are wasting on the SLS and associated pretexts, they could:

- send orbiters to Uranus and Neptune
    - do an Enceladus sample return
    - do a Europa lander
    - do a Venus atmospheric probe to figure out the phosphene thing

And still have heaps of cash left over. Any of the above will produce vastly more new knowledge than boots on the moon.

Awe inspiring? Let the billionaires do it then. I mean, the moon lander chosen by NASA for the Artemis program is a Starship! Talk about admitting failure.

I like it because it is fun to watch.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    For what they are wasting on the SLS and associated pretexts, they could:

- send orbiters to Uranus and Neptune
    - do an Enceladus sample return
    - do a Europa lander
    - do a Venus atmospheric probe to figure out the phosphene thing

And still have heaps of cash left over. Any of the above will produce vastly more new knowledge than boots on the moon.

Awe inspiring? Let the billionaires do it then. I mean, the moon lander chosen by NASA for the Artemis program is a Starship! Talk about admitting failure.
    Another thing is that the robotic missions require people back on Earth to monitor and manage them and the data analysis for years. That is an ongoing expense that would be a shame to compromise. My $.02 is Space X big ships on the Moon and Mars will sit like the pyramids, a testimony to concentrations of wealth and not mankinds transition to the next life. Cuz when homo saps energy budget declines nations will not waste money on $100 billion camp sites in a radiation filled vacuum.

This is a mission I hope to be around for. A 1000lb octocopter running on batteries recharged by a 70watt RTG.

What Is Dragonfly?
    Dragonfly is a rotorcraft lander mission – part of NASA's New Frontiers Program – designed to take advantage of Titan's environment to sample materials and determine surface composition in different geologic settings. This revolutionary mission concept includes the capability to explore diverse locations to characterize the habitability of Titan's environment, to investigate how far prebiotic chemistry has progressed, and even to search for chemical signatures that could indicate water-based and/or hydrocarbon-based life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonfly_(spacecraft)

Dragonfly will be a rotorcraft lander, much like a large quadcopter with double rotors, an octocopter.[3] Redundant rotor configuration will enable the mission to tolerate the loss of at least one rotor or motor.[3] Each of the craft's eight rotors will be about 1 m (3.3 ft) in diameter.[3] The aircraft will travel at about 10 m/s (36 km/h; 22 mph) and climb to an altitude of up to 4 km (13,000 ft).[3]

Flight on Titan is aerodynamically benign as Titan has low gravity and little wind, and its dense atmosphere allows for efficient rotor propulsion.[35] The radioisotope thermoelectric generator (RTG) power source has been proven in multiple spacecraft, and the extensive use of quad drones on Earth provides a well-understood flight system that is being complemented with algorithms to enable independent actions in real-time.[35] The craft will be designed to operate in a space radiation environment and in temperatures averaging 94 K (−179.2 °C).[35]

Titan's dense atmosphere and low gravity mean that the flight power for a given mass is a factor of about 40 times lower than on Earth.[3] The atmosphere has 1.45 times the pressure and about four times the density of Earth's, and local gravity (13.8% of Earth's) will make it easier to fly, although cold temperatures, lower light levels and higher atmospheric drag on the airframe will be challenges.[23]

^ Now that sounds very cool.

I am down for a Europa lander too. PS: There a good minor sci-fi film out bthere called Europa Report. Check it out.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

is that for real Jim?

Are they not dropping off some payload while there? Seems like a giant waste of energy not to.

Yes, excited.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

This will be the first launch covered and broadcast in 4k

B03D0EAE-6126-4722-A534-13197CF2732E.jpg
    Last edited by JTA; 08-27-2022 at 09:53 PM.
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    3d printing robots. Use moon material for construction. Bring up a few bits of hardware. Solar power. Lots of tunnels. Lots of redundancy. Lots of low gravity science.
    And hope they never achieve sentience.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Are they not dropping off some payload while there? Seems like a giant waste of energy not to.
    Some minisats will be distrbuted but it’s a test flight. You want it to be more reliable than the shuttle.

Read a bit on why the SLS exists and yes, it’s like the MIC. My guess is that if Space X Starship becomes dependable the SLS will end.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...s-human-space/

We should be at about T-90 minutes now, but apparently they are having "issues"...

https://spaceflightnow.com/2022/08/2...live-coverage/

Graeber says the launch team is "moving forward" with the countdown after troubleshooting resolved concerns about a hydrogen leak in the tail service mast umbilical
    There's also still an open issue regarding the communications link between ground teams and the Orion spacecraft. That has been under review throughout the countdown and is a constraint against proceeding with the launch.
    The team is troubleshooting an issue they've encountered with the bleed for Engine No. 3.
    The launch control team is also evaluating a line of frost in the intertank section of the core stage, located between the liquid hydrogen tank at the bottom of the core stage and the liquid oxygen tank near the top of the core stage.

I just hope if it goes boom it does so within camera range. But it is starting to look like it might go fizz...