Thread: Truant wooden sailboat?

Default Truant wooden sailboat?

I was given this beautiful small wooden sailboat that looks similar to the "Truant" design in Edwin Monk's "How to Build Wooden Boats". This boat has been meticulously crafted and has never sailed. I'd like to honor the builder by rigging and sailing her. There is no garboard drain or flotation. I'd like to install a floor as there's no seating either. Just the cross members. Do I need flotation and is this boat designed to be sailed from the cockpit, as opposed to sitting on the side deck? Also, there's some "checking" in the paint at the floor too. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Truant wooden sailboat?

Can you give us some dimensions? That would help
    with identification.

The cockpit is small and the side decks are wide, which suggests a sporty boat meant to be sailed from the decks.

Flotation is a very good idea! They can be a bit hard to find and you may need to order from the UK, but Holt makes a bow floatation bag that provides a lot of
    float and would probably fit well under the forward deck. Sausage shaped bags can go under the side decks. Maybe some aft too.

Beach roller/float bags are available from the usual suspects (West, Defender, etc). If you ever have to pull the boat up on a beach it might help save that beautiful paint!

You have a beauty there, though I can't place the design. The builder definitely had a clue. Seating was most likely on the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Beach roller/float bags are available from the usual suspects (West, Defender, etc). If you ever have to pull the boat up on a beach it might help save that beautiful paint!
    I got some from Duckworks and they are well made of tough material.
    This link shows some in action. If you only want flotation there may be some lighter, less expensive options???
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Looks to be nice sailing dinghy and whoever built it did a very good job.

For sailing it is definitely a sit on the deck and the cockpit is a large foot well.
    Note that the surrounds to the cockpit are set up to make sitting on the deck comfortable and that the deck is well braced from below.

Buoyancy is best provided with airbags - they can be removed to air the hull out.
    The bags for an Optimist would be suitable.
    https://www.velasailingsupply.com/op...ong-fill-tube/

Self bailers are very good but they normally rely on a venturi effect and require that the boat be sailed at speed.
    Not very useful when sailing slowly.
    I note that there is a deck floor in the cockpit that may have to be altered to fit a self bailer in the hull.
    https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=411
    Again a good chandler should be able to obtain a self bailer for you. These type of bailers though always eventually leak.
    So my suggestion is only fit one you do not need twice the trouble.
    Take the boat for a sail and if it planes then I would be tempted to fit a self bailer in the stern - I do not like holes in the hull.
    I strongly recommend a bucket and sponge - A bucket can remove a large amount of water in a hurry.
    https://www.storerboatplans.com/even...-installation/

Sail the boat first before you cut into the hull. And enjoy

Very tasteful.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

https://www.scribd.com/book/27167426...l-Boat-Designs

Do you have the plans? Sail plan? Anything about how she'd supposed to be rigged? Spars and/or standing or running rigging?

Deck layout reminds me a lot of the Bermudan-rigged 14' stripper scow I built 50 years ago. Fast, exciting fun on a summer's afternoon with a friend or by myself when the wind was cooperative!

Yes, buoyancy bags are recommended for safety! As is some means to bail when necessary.

Remember too that, to be any good when needed, buoyance bags need to remain in place when you're swamped and trying to recover your dignity as well as climb back aboard. So take pains to make sure they're securely fastened in place before going out.

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate it! As far as sailing from the deck, the mast it came with has a boom that sits quite low, so tacking should be interesting. Perhaps I can refit the boom to mast gooseneck, but the sail it came with dictates the boom height. I added the blocks and jam cleats for quicker trim and just need a cleat for the main sheet. I'm looking into flotation bags as per the suggestions. Also, the gelcoat on wood is rolling off in certain areas. Maybe a wet sand with 1000 grit and try to rejuvenate the gelcoat. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by johnsail View Post
    Thanks for the comments, really appreciate it! As far as sailing from the deck, the mast it came with has a boom that sits quite low, so tacking should be interesting. Perhaps I can refit the boom to mast gooseneck, but the sail it came with dictates the boom height. I added the blocks and jam cleats for quicker trim and just need a cleat for the main sheet. I'm looking into flotation bags as per the suggestions. Also, the gelcoat on wood is rolling off in certain areas. Maybe a wet sand with 1000 grit and try to rejuvenate the gelcoat. Thank you!

John do take the boat sailing as built. Many dinghy classes have low to deck booms - OK, Laser, Finn and Europe and they all require the low 'duck' to clear the head from the boom. Mastering the 'duck' is most important.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KhJniTuX7M
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bcd5nYCx80
    Suggest you join a local sailing club and seek some experience in other classes and some training in dinghy sailing.
    With those wide side decks if you plan to sail only from the cockpit you will not have your body weight in the best position to sail through a gust.
    If you get caught in a rough sea, these OK dinghy sailors show how to handle the rough stuff. ENJOY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpIH0SVb6is

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    https://www.scribd.com/book/27167426...l-Boat-Designs

Do you have the plans? Sail plan? Anything about how she'd supposed to be rigged? Spars and/or standing or running rigging?

Deck layout reminds me a lot of the Bermudan-rigged 14' stripper scow I built 50 years ago. Fast, exciting fun on a summer's afternoon with a friend or by myself when the wind was cooperative!

Yes, buoyancy bags are recommended for safety! As is some means to bail when necessary.

Remember too that, to be any good when needed, buoyance bags need to remain in place when you're swamped and trying to recover your dignity as well as climb back aboard. So take pains to make sure they're securely fastened in place before going out.
    That's actually Truant on the cover of Monk's book.

If you buy the book, you'll have the plans.

She's not another Jack Holt is she? There are some features aft that remind me of his International Dinghy

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    She's not another Jack Holt is she? There are some features aft that remind me of his International Dinghy
    Edwin Monk. Better known for his powerboats.

I would question a cleat for the mainsheet, best held so you can let it out fast in a gust. Nice boat!