Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Contingencies For When Trump Is Arrested

Default Contingencies For When Trump Is Arrested

Ok given the DOJ’s reasons for refusal to reveal the affidavit that led to the search warrant we know there is a criminal investigation underway. Trump world is full of misinformation about what’s going on as Trump stokes anger and outrage based on his lies. I’m thinking contingency plans must be underway as pre planning for addressing reactions if/when he is arrested and brought to trial. There will need to be a concerted effort at communicating the legitimacy of the reasons for his arrest. There will need to be planning to ‘head off at the pass’ any nut jobs resorting to armed retaliation.
    So what do you all who are closer to the action think? Anyone with their ear to the ground?
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Default Re: Contingencies For When Trump Is Arrested

From watching the careful and painstaking way in which the Biden administration goes about things, I feel sure that there must be.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

He may be tried, but he won't be arrested, unless the FBI has proof of sale of nuclear secrets or better, and is willing to share it before the arrest.

Of course he'll be arrested, and of course he'll have a trial, unless he buys the farm first. The idots and loyal trmprs will be a problem no matter what happens or which way it's handled, and the agency doing the arresting is not beholden to anyone, least of all those who support the guilty party, the arrestee. When has it ever been not the case? And don't trot out the 'it's unprecedented' trope. Of course it is, because all of it is. Merrick Garland and Christopher Wray made that decision and have been done with that bit of agonizing for months already. They might make some point of not doing the arrest in a normal—precedented—way, but they're going through with it. Besides, how would he get tried if he weren't first arrested, in absentia? Gee, that's unprecedented.

What will be both morbidly hilarious and tragic is the way the gradual understanding of the trmpr-idots will come about. When they start shooting and blowing stuff up, loudly declaring their support and their declaration of righteous war, waving their hideous flag travesties, wearing their TV camo and face hankies,—and then each one gets dropped in his dumbern sh!t tracks, the rest of them will eventually come to the proper conclusion and decide to accept the situation and move ungloriously, humbly, on. The landfills are going to start being choked by ex-trmpr memorabilia. Because it isn't cosplay after all, and it also isn't any way in hell ever going to go their way. One by one, they'll be featured on the evening news, and they'll fold like cheap tents, as the ones who've boldly made their move and somehow survived go to the slammer to await their own trial, guilty as charged.

Cuff his ankles and drag the bloated POS to the paddy wagon, with his mop of hair dusting the stairs on the way down.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Pure poetry Jim.

fold like cheap tents - love it!

I think you're exactly right.
    Epitomised by the numb skull in DC who crashed his car, shot a couple of rounds into the air, and then shot himself. I must admit, I don't feel all that bad for laughing when I think about it.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Taking his passport(s) is tantamount to arresting him. I guess that he could fly by private plane, but what country would accept him? Russia?

The passports have been returned.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Yeah, yeah.

Trump can be handcuffed, perpwalked, and imprisoned, regardless of public opinion, and when his supporters form mobs just have the National Guard open fire.

That'll solve the problem of a violently divided country.

I think speculation now is unwise. If we get our hopes up, we're likely to be disappointed.

FOX said, "If they can do this to him, imagine what they can do to you." Their viewers ate that up.

My question, which I've not heard asked is: "If they can do this to me, why can they not do it to him?"

It's my hope he is arrested and tried. It's my hope he is convicted. I have trouble being optimistic, as it too often leads to disappointment.

This is America, and in America some people are above the law. The people who crashed the market in '08 paid no price. The people at Ford and Firestone who declined to fix the problem that killed over 400 people paid no price. People died when the BP rig, which was always failing safety inspections, blew, and no one paid a price.

As a citizen, when called to jury duty last time, I told the judge I'd have a problem convicting poor slobs when the wealthy are seldom brought to trial, and Project Innocence, when they had access to DNA found over 1/3 of convicted people were innocent, and that tells me the prosecution must be lying.

I'd love to see Trump on trial for a variety of things. but I'd not count on it.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

I’ll be shocked if anything happens to trump over this. Sure there’s evidence, but it won’t matter. It’ll occupy the news for another month or so, then it’ll fade away just like all the other controversies. Then we will be left with the same two lame, old candidates we had last election.
    Pretty pathetic.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Tell us George, what does your crystal ball show?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Yeah, yeah.

Trump can be handcuffed, perpwalked, and imprisoned, regardless of public opinion, and when his supporters form mobs just have the National Guard open fire.

The reason why I posted this thread was because of not wanting a national guard type confrontation to contain an armed reprisal.
    And for the reasons John Smith mentioned especially re the 08 market collapse. I was thinking of the injustices that have created a ‘target market’ of disenfranchised disillusioned citizens who pinned their hopes on the lies of a fraud who positioned himself as the answer to their dilemma. This is a $#!tfull situation Most of the genuinely disillusioned won’t be picking up arms to join the fight but they are going to be left reeling from a predator who targeted the vulnerable! I’ve seen it in my youth work. The young women who were abused as children are the most likely to be raped by some imposter who declares he is there to help them! It is a pattern repeated by all spineless abusers and Trump is parading the same sociopathic predation on a national scale!!! So what does that say about the gutless enablers who put their own pathetic interests above the welfare of the already done over casualties of the illusion that was the American dream? They, the gutless self serving GOP are in many ways worse than Trump!
    Last edited by Hallam; 08-17-2022 at 07:45 AM.

Bruce Cockburn

Still waiting for that McCarthy moment where the floor falls away below his feet and he is ( finally! ) truly politically ruined.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Yeah, yeah.

His supporters comprise the national guard. And the military. And the police.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    SOME of his supporters. It’s also an often made mistake to think only RWWs are the ones with firearms and the knowledge to use them. The next few months will be very interesting indeed.

I can see trucks blocking whole cities, public buildings being invaded, and general mayhem in a lot of states whose governors would NOT order their troops to stop it.

As Keith so reasonably reminds us, trmp’s best trait is his incompetence. I’ll point out that that comes hand in glove with predictable consistency, and to the sharp point, it’s a trait his loyal s’porters share. We know what they’ll do, and they will reliably come boldly out their fever swamp to be identified, waving their erstz flags and brandishing their ARs. The ones who persist to their own stupid, bloody end may encourage their not quite so dumb brethren to reconsider and rejoin civil obedience. Ironically, they’ll have the same chance to be heroic about it as the individual GQPers in government. Odds are in our favor that at least some of them will move that direction and promote a wave of defection from trmpism. Or they’ll be cut down and or incarcerated for failing it, but trmpism is in it’s death throes.

I still think that Trump's arrest is an "if", not a "when". I don't doubt his guilt on multiple charges. I just think that arresting a former POTUS is a high bar to clear.

I do take heart that the legitimate national news sources are referring to the claim of a stolen election as "false" without any wiggle words. Yes, it's false, but the legitimate press is slow to take a side. Increasingly, they tell the story of what he did rather than what he is accused of doing and that's progress.

The last time I was called up for jury duty I noticed the accused was wearing an ankle monitor so he couldn't run. The image of Trump wearing one of those puts a big smile on my face!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Where will they ever find a jury of his peers?
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    As Keith so reasonably reminds us, trmp’s best trait is his incompetence. I’ll point out that that comes hand in glove with predictable consistency, and to the sharp point, it’s a trait his loyal s’porters share. We know what they’ll do, and they will reliably come boldly out their fever swamp to be identified, waving their erstz flags and brandishing their ARs. The ones who persist to their own stupid, bloody end may encourage their not quite so dumb brethren to reconsider and rejoin civil obedience. Ironically, they’ll have the same chance to be heroic about it as the individual GQPers in government. Odds are in our favor that at least some of them will move that direction and promote a wave of defection from trmpism. Or they’ll be cut down and or incarcerated for failing it, but trmpism is in it’s death throes.
    Hope springs eternal!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Maybe not all the police, the FBI are not exactly thrilled with him.
    The "educated" contingent of the military is the same, not thrilled

If he is charged, I suspect the FBI will coordinate with the Secret Service and then show up where Trump is to serve the arrest warrant. Secret Service, with FBI riding along will then take him to the arraignment. I imagine the judge will be waiting for him to arrive and the arraignment will proceed quickly after allowing Trump an hour or so to talk with his lawyers. I expect the judge will release him on bail, possibly after taking his passport. Secret Service will take him back home. The whole thing will be done quietly and take no more than half a day. The only possible issue I see is if Trump makes a fuss about going to the arraignment and has to be restrained and taken against his will. To minimize possible issues associated with that I suspect the entire thing will be done early in the morning at a location where Trump can be transferred without taking him into public view.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Any fourth grade classroom.

The landfills are going to start being choked by ex-trmpr memorabilia. Because it isn't cosplay after all, and it also isn't any way in hell ever going to go their way.
    imagining people are rational is itself irrational.

a century and a half after a failed civil war, true believers still hang on. it's probably no surprise the same follow 45,.but still..

the surprise is the true believers who still imagine anything positive will be done from this. see, esp Carlin's "it's a big club, and you (I/we) ain't in it".

Last year Nicolas Sarkozy was sentenced to three years for fraud. If the French can do this with an ex-president, so can the USA . Frank

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by george. View Post
    yeah, yeah.

Trump can be handcuffed, perpwalked, and imprisoned, regardless of public opinion, and when his supporters form mobs just have the national guard open fire.

Quote Originally Posted by FF View Post
    Last year Nicolas Sarkozy was sentenced to three years for fraud. If the French can do this with an ex-president, so can the USA . Frank
    Thats encouraging.

Meantime...

Trump is struggling to find good lawyers who are still willing to represent him: WaPo report

The Post spoke to several lawyers who commented under the condition of anonymity on Trump's struggle to find seasoned counsel to defend him. "Everyone is saying no," a Republican lawyer told The Post, weighing in on how lawyers are turning down the Trump camp's cases.

Also speaking under anonymity, another lawyer spoke about the difficulties faced when representing Trump. They said that during his presidency, Trump would tweet about the Mueller probe against his legal team's advice. Several other people also told The Post that Trump was an impossible client, and worried if they would be compensated for their work.

"In olden days, he would tell firms representing him was a benefit because they could advertise off it. Today it's not the same," said Michael Cohen, a former Trump lawyer who has since become a fierce critic of the former president.

"He's also a very difficult client in that he's always pushing the envelope, he rarely listens to sound legal advice, and he wants you to do things that are not appropriate, ethically or legally," Cohen added.
    Trump spokesman Taylor Budowich told The Post that the Trump legal team includes individuals like Jim Trusty and Evan Corcoran, who have "decades of prosecutorial experience and have litigated some of the most complex cases in American history."

"President Trump is represented by some of the strongest attorneys in the country, and any suggestion otherwise is only driven by envy," Budowich said.

Trump is currently represented by Trusty and Corcoran — as well as Alina Habba, a New Jersey parking garage lawyer, and former One America News anchor Christina Bobb.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-report-2022-8
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Hope they get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post

Beneath the streets of New York City.

This has the potential to be quite interesting. Rudy's still licensed in some states, no?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

And he’s done such a bang-up job for trmp already!

At least Rudy will have a leg up on the whole prison lawyer bit. So he’s got that going for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Ok given the DOJ’s reasons for refusal to reveal the affidavit that led to the search warrant we know there is a criminal investigation underway. Trump world is full of misinformation about what’s going on as Trump stokes anger and outrage based on his lies. I’m thinking contingency plans must be underway as pre planning for addressing reactions if/when he is arrested and brought to trial. There will need to be a concerted effort at communicating the legitimacy of the reasons for his arrest. There will need to be planning to ‘head off at the pass’ any nut jobs resorting to armed retaliation.
    So what do you all who are closer to the action think? Anyone with their ear to the ground?
    This reminds me of all the hand wringing about if Trump would leave the White House on inauguration day. Maybe we should just wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Down at ground zero level, there may be risks. A friend of mine lives in a very strongly red part of your country, and he, a lifelong liberal, has made donations, small ones but enough to get on the good guys list, to the local ( all Republican) governor, mayor, chief of police and party. He figures that there may be riots in the streets and that known liberals could be targeted.
    Take care guys.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.