Thread: Al Franken

Default Al Franken

He is hosting Jimmy Kimmel right now.

Am I the only person who thinks he got a raw deal? I wish he were back in the Senate. Democrats let him down.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Al Franken

Judged by the carp that seems to be acceptable today, yes, he got a raw deal

In our attempt to be holier than they, yeah, he got screwed.

Tom

Al Franken was groping women as a senator. If we start shifting the Overton window on bad behavior we’ll just keep shifting. Where will it stop?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Al Franken was groping women as a senator. If we start shifting the Overton window on bad behavior we’ll just keep shifting. Where will it stop?
    by "we", who exactly do you mean.

the overton window was remodeled when donald was barely dented by the access hollywood tape. fuggedaboudit.

that said, i found the allegations of creepiness believable and his resignation appropriate. i don't think his existence in the senate over his replacement would have made one iota of difference.

I'm not convinced he was guilty of the charges.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm not convinced he was guilty of the charges.
    Neither am I.
    The Dems just pushed him off a cliff without giving him a chance to defend himself.
    At that point in the 'Me too' movement, if you were accused of misconduct, you were dead meat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I think he, and we, got a raw deal. Perfection ought not be the enemy of the good. Judging past actions by current standards can be tricky.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Once you are accused of a thing, you forever remain guilty of it in the eye of public opinion. Even if you are tried and found not guilty, people will think you, " got off."

A thing cannot be unsaid.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    He is hosting Jimmy Kimmel right now.

Am I the only person who thinks he got a raw deal? I wish he were back in the Senate. Democrats let him down.
    I would have some sympathy for him if the Democrats have not provided a raw deal to so many.

But Franken was smart enough to know that the truth would not affect public opinion.
    Life is complex.