Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Smith
    • Mar 2009

Re: Liz Cheney , You go girl!!!

The GOP has gone to a very dark place. November's elections may actually be the most important one ever. Thanks to our misconstruing of the 2nd, those trumpsters are well armed.
    "Banning books in spite of the 1st amendment, but refusing to regulate guns in spite of "well regulated militia' being in the 2nd amendment makes no sense. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
      Irritant, Level 2
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Reynard38
      It’s comments like this that almost make me almost want to vote for trump. Almost.
      I liked Liz Cheney. Very gutsy woman, but she was running in Wyoming. Wyoming, which BTW is not, and never has been part of any south, unreconstructed or not.
      I find Liz Cheney honorable, capable and likable. Like you said it is Wyoming. She is a famous Jackson, Wyoming Republican - a nuanced difference . Understanding the underlining current of this Republican party fits with why she was soundly defeated last night - it is not about Trump but working along side the Democrats who can be blamed for the evolving demographics that has significantly changed the face and attitudes of the entire country.
      Without friends none of this is possible.

Comment

• Andrew Craig-Bennett
        Who?
        • Aug 1999

I am much more worried about the long term misconstruction of the First. That’s what gives the enemies of your State their power. The Second is a detail.
        IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
          obnoxiously persistent.
          • Jan 2005

From three weeks ago... Prescient?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z71YjJaNvAg. Link for apple victims
          I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Rich Jones
            What boat to build next?
            • Apr 2009

If Trump runs in 2024, will she have the guts to run as an independent just to ensure that he does not win?
            She would never win a GOP primary and would have to run as an independent. She would get the vote of every Republican disgusted with the Trump mob.
            I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
            Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• P.I. Stazzer-Newt
              obnoxiously persistent.
              • Jan 2005

The follow up

Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM4C4iqDlCw
              I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• L.W. Baxter
                can eat fifty eggs
                • Sep 2003

hageman's victory speech. migod.

Comment

• Boatbum
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Hallam
                  Hardly in the same class as Ted Kennedy's concession speech: "the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die". Say what you want about him, but he was a great orator. It's not just her words, but her delivery. She seems more like an angry woman with a vendetta. She will make a lot of money as the conservative voice on CNN and MSNBC

She keeps comparing herself to Lincoln and US Grant. She has a long way to go to get there.

Comment

• Hallam
                    • Feb 2012

Looks like she is not one to make a big fuss. Give her three years and we will know the depth of what she is made of. Slow and deadly I reckon….. still waters run deep? The speech was not overly inspiring but what she said was solid as a rock.
                    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
                    Bruce Cockburn

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                      Trying to be reasonable
                      • Oct 1999

Originally posted by Ted Hoppe
                      Understanding the underlying current of this Republican party fits with why she was soundly defeated last night - it is not about Trump but working alongside the Democrats who can be blamed for the evolving demographics that has significantly changed the face and attitudes of the entire country.
                      I think you're 100% wrong that 'it's not about Trump'. It's about Trump. Ms Cheney recognizes that he's a danger to the country. Most of her constituents disagree. That's the central reason she lost; the rest of it is trivial.

About your other point, it might help to take the long view. The Chinese Exclusion Act was passed in 1888, and national origins quotas for immigration were instituted in 1924, based on the 1890 census, specifically designed to keep America white and Protestant. Blatant racism was standard procedure at the time, but in writing the law they were mainly concerned with 'inferior races' like Italians and Poles and Eastern European Jews. OTOH, up until 1965 there were zero restrictions on immigration from the western hemisphere. The law was changed again to essentially the current system in 1965, eliminating the national quotas. The immigrant percentage of the population has returned to what it was for most of US history, although they're not mostly from Europe anymore.

I think the most important line on this graph is for the south, which had essentially no immigration from the mid 19th-century until fairly recently.

(Sorry, probably too much thread drift. But it explains a lot)
                      Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-17-2022, 09:17 AM.
                      "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                      for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
                        Irritant, Level 2
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                        The immigrant percentage of the population has returned to what it was for most of US history, although they're not mostly from Europe anymore.

(Sorry, probably too much thread drift. But it explains a lot)
                        yeah - this is a thread drift.

Is that not the issue and what the MAGA Republican party has taken up? from 225 million in 1976 to 330 million today. 50 million or more newly arriving since 1980 non white often non christians changing the face of America, impacting the culture, causing rapid development of open space, greater demands of resources which includes housing costs and access to assistance and often arriving with issues and problems that were not here or recognized before. No doubt that most folks that are arriving had contributed greatly but there are many who are damaged, come from societies that were or are broken which has made them broken and could be receiving perceived benefits and preferential treatment while others are sold out, trashed out or forgotten.
                        Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-17-2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

• CWSmith
                          New Hampshire
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by John Smith
                          The GOP has gone to a very dark place. November's elections may actually be the most important one ever. Thanks to our misconstruing of the 2nd, those trumpsters are well armed.
                          I'm less worried about the vote and more worried about the corruption of the vote.
                          "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Comment

• Keith Wilson
                            Trying to be reasonable
                            • Oct 1999

Originally posted by Ted Hoppe
                            Is that not the issue and what the MAGA Republican party has taken up? from 225 million in 1976 to 330 million today. 50 million or more newly arriving since 1980 non white often non christians changing the face of America, impacting the culture, causing rapid development of open space, greater demands of resources which includes housing costs and access to assistance and often arriving with issues and problems that were not here or recognized before. No doubt that most folks that are arriving had contributed greatly but there are many who are damaged, come from societies that were or are broken which has made them broken and could be receiving perceived benefits and preferential treatment while others are sold out, trashed out or forgotten.
                            Yes, it's something that gets them excited, just exactly like the folks in 100 years ago getting all bent out of shape about all those Italian Catholics and Russian Jews. America will never be the same!

But population growth has been decreasing since the 1940s, and is now lower than at any time in the past 80 years. That ain't the problem.

And a not-quite-quibble: It would help understanding if we'd used some other word than 'broken'. 'Broken' is binary; the window is either broken or it isn't. NONE of the serious problems we face are binary; they're generally a continuum, greater or lesser, and some with multiple interacting variables. 'Broken" just screws up our thinking.
                            Last edited by Keith Wilson; 08-17-2022, 09:59 AM.
                            "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
                            for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• Ted Hoppe
                              Irritant, Level 2
                              • Nov 2006

of course the problem is an expanding new population and the folks here. Pulling up 1940s data and comparing it to today maybe a nonstarter or you hit it on the head. it is The folks arriving or came recently has changed. It is an easy excerise to look around and see who is around you as you drive, where you grab a bite, when you shop in a big box or who comes to help you with your home.

How does one define a person who comes from an unequal, corrupt or undemocratic society who has escaped the tragic home country maybe seen and done things that are horrible, criminal, illegal or unethical and then released into a society that appears to be fair but clearly uneven. I referred to them as broken immigrants. I am sure there is a better term.

I know this might be a stretch but in my thread about selling a boat on line it is really a question of trust. We do not trust each other anymore. many do not want to see others face to face. Everyone is worried about being cheated or defrauded. We would rather junk or donate rather than take the chance of being taken advantage of or being stolen from.
                              Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-17-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• George Jung
                                • Jan 2004

Hmmmm... yer saying that was 'one of them 'unethical' immigrants what offered you a certified check for your boat?

Seriously - you lose any semblance of seriousness when you couch your argument in such rhetoric.
                                There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Comment

Working...