Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: selling a boat online - the cashiers check.

Default selling a boat online - the cashiers check.

I have posted a boat of mine in the classifieds of another online site. Folks have already shown interest. She is a gem waiting further polishing. I am a prudent man and want to find the right person for the boat. I have a question - if someone offers you a cashiers check sight unseen and you want to talk to the buyer first but what if they do not want to talk to you but only want your full name, address and phone number and will send the payment first. How would you proceed?

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-16-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: selling a boat online - the cashiers check.

come on now.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

No personal contact...no deal. My view anyway in these times. What rational, competent person would buy sight unseen? Scammers, of course, but aside from those others would have to be largely inexperienced and/or not competent to keep such a boat?
    Brian

It's a scam.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

It sounds thin I know. They offered a lower price sight unseen but I rejected it. Their response was full payment then. The wooden racer I am selling has a great pedigree, is pretty cool and checks a lot of boxes many would love to have. Shoot me for dragging in and bragging about it once again.

I have noticed there are a lot of wealthy and famous people who own desirable classic yachts but one would never know it. I am sure if the right person with tons of cash or skills could make her into something I can not because of time and space or reserves. Here in my own wooden boat organization for the SF bay, there are celebraties and billionaires playing with boats that others keep for them under trusts, third parties and have great craftsmen to keep them in boat in a bottle shape.

I would walk away as quickly as possible.

https://www.occ.gov/news-events/news...our%20account.

Many consumers have become victims of scams involving a fraudulent cashier's check. A cashier's check is a check that is issued by a bank, and sold to its customer or another purchaser, that is a direct obligation of the bank. Cashier's checks are viewed as relatively risk-free instruments and, therefore, are often used as a trusted form of payment to consumers for goods and services.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

I suspect it is more a phishing expedition. The cashiers check is the bait perhaps? I wonder how it rolls out for them. They get some private information, maybe seek more information which one would be inclined to give and then there is a move on it.

" Oops, I made out the check for more than your price, could you deposit it, and send back a cashier's check for the extra amount ? " It was a polished approach, but my daughter works in a bank - and warned us off in time ! !

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

I think you should go for it, Ted, and then let us know how it went.

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

No contact? Fine

Tell them you'll sell it to them using Zelle, Venmo or Paypal.

All you'd have to give them is a user name, one you could could create for the sale and then abandon.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    I think you should go for it, Ted, and then let us know how it went.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 2.22.25 PM.jpg

A cashier's check is a check written out on bank funds and paid for at the bank by the account holder, right?

I have done that before PayPal became the standard way of doing things. I bought fish from across the country, sent the check, and they sent the fish. I only had one bad experience and that was from a seller who cheated me. It's hard for the buyer to cheat the seller unless you start doing foolish things like in post #9.

However, those checks were for $50, not $5000 or more. I wasn't risking much.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Will they wait for the check to clear your bank before they take possession? Bet the answer is no.

If they have enough in their account to cover they could do a wire transfer or bring cash and meet you at the bank so you can verify not counterfeit.

Just blindly accept cashiers check? Nope, too easy to fake with todays tech.
    Tom

You can verify the cashiers check by contacting the bank - not using the info on the check. Then send the bank the info from the check and possibly an image. They will tell you if it is real. If you are satisfied the check is real, you can close the deal when the check clears and the money is in your account. Perhaps you can have your lawyer receive the check for you. Another option is to have them wire the money to you. Open a special account just for the wire transfer and close it immediately after you take the money out. Your bank should be happy to facilitate that.

When I sold Tortuga last April, the buyer sent a cashier's check. My broker said that was normal. My bank verified the check was real by contacting the issuing bank before they accepted it for deposit.

Paypal has buyer protection. I think (think) venmo is done when done.

100% scam imho

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    come on now.
    This is the correct response.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Paypal has some protection but only if you use the standard form
    Friends and family = No protection

interestingly this is what Craig's lists says:

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 4.43.51 PM.jpg

Last boat I sold was for cash. 6K in hundreds, handed over in the bank, and the bill of sale notarized on the spot. No ambiguity, no possibility for tomfoolery. It was a small transaction, but large transactions can be handled the same.

Anytime you acquiesce to someone's arcane payment scheme you leave yourself wide open for a bad outcome.

One of my happiest moments was when the nice gentleman who bought my boat handed me the check, with his full name printed in the top corner: Mark Edward Post.

“Your Mark E. Post!” I exclaimed.

He smiled and shook his head.
    “Every New Year’s Day, I pray that this will be the year. Made it to September this time.”

Ask your bank how long it takes for the check to clear, then tell the buyer you need that amount of time + a day before they can take possession.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

it's not about whether the check clears, it's about providing your own personal information in exchange for none of theirs.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    it's not about whether the check clears, it's about providing your own personal information in exchange for none of theirs.
    Exactly.

I’m currently trying to part with our Oday26.

plan A: is to to donate it.

Plan B: is to sell it through one of the various online options, cash only, local buyer comes to me. You give me the cash, I give you the boat.

Plan C: cut it up and put it in a dumpster.

given that a newer Pearson 26 just changed hands at the marina for $5k, the Oday even in good condition wouldn’t fetch much more than half that.
    Last edited by CK 17; 08-17-2022 at 07:39 AM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I’m currently trying to part with our Oday26.

plan A: is to to donate it.

Plan B: is to sell it through one of the various online options, cash only, local buyer comes to me. You give me the cash, I give you the boat.

Plan C: cut it up and put it in a dumpster.

given that a newer Pearson 26 just changed hands at the marina for $5k, the Oday even in good condition wouldn’t fetch much more than half that.
    Oday 26 is a fine boat. does yours come with a trailer?

Donating it just puts the boat on someone else. We would hope it went to good use and others learned a thing or two about sailing.

Cutting it up is an option - someone will eventually do it. Since the boat has the potential to be a great first bigger boat, that prospect makes up disappointed and sad.

Selling most things on line is a challenge. The changing of how we conduct ourselves and the many trying to avoid the human interaction is remarkable. In the age of Covid, we have learned to skip the handshake deal. Unless somebody gets it for a deal or better yet free, it is hard to get folks to meet face to face let alone get a transaction done in person with hard currency or even take a personal check. Moreover many folks under thirty have never bought directly from individuals other than Craigs list or eBay.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-17-2022 at 08:01 AM.

Don’t do it. Walk away…
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I have bought many boats sight unseen, and most of the time when I sell one it’s the same. I send a down payment (personal check), tell them to go ahead and cash it and then ask them how they want the balance. Only once did anyone bridle at that system, and he insisted on cash when I picked up the boat. His comment was ‘I am not just going to let some stranger drive away with my boat leaving me with a check’. Felt a bit insulting to me, especially after he cashed my deposit, but I wanted the boat so I swallowed my pride.

Of course, the one-design and small boat world may be different. If someone rips you off the word gets around pretty quickly.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

i recently boat a boat from an actual boat dealer and they wouldn't take a cashier's check b/c of all of the scams. i had to show up with cash in hand. i wouldn't even consider an internet deal with a cashier's check.

Trust is part of making a deal. No trust, no deal. You do not trust (otherwise, you would not post the topic) - no deal.

You do not even know whom to trust or distrust. No chance of taking a nice photo with buyer (or buyers representative) and seller and boat, taking a photo of the license plate of the car they arrive with, ... nada. Nothing to hand over to the sheriff that would give him a lead in case you get scammed. No one to sit down with on the kitchen table (or at the lawyer) and sign the contract with. A lawyer would probably ask for driving license or social security card or whatever and record that number in the contract - you could do the same with someone who sits at your kitchen table, be it buyer or buyers representative. You want a solid lead to the one who you deal with.
    Last edited by Henning 4148; 08-17-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Trust is important.

Getting a copy of their photo id might be a good idea. I think the information they want from you is necessary for them to send a check.

Last time I bought something sight unseen: I took a cashiers check with me. Drove away with the merchandise. 3000 mile road trip.
    Life is complex.

The Prince of Bel Air (or Prince Harry) would be able to send someone who buys the boat for them and stay anonymous if he wanted the boat ...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Trust is important.

Getting a copy of their photo id might be a good idea. I think the information they want from you is necessary for them to send a check.

Last time I bought something sight unseen: I took a cashiers check with me. Drove away with the merchandise. 3000 mile road trip.
    Yes ... Chances are the seller had a solid lead on you ... And apparently he found you trustworthy.

Just today I had an offer of cash for my asking price. He said he was going to send someone else to pick it up and they had to come get it asap. 7 hour drive. But the questions he asked all the answers were there in my add. You could tell he was not very interested in the boat itself. Just didn't feel right. So I turned it down. He could be reading this now.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

Scams abound. Shortly after a visit to the Big Orange Box store, my wife received an e-mail - she had 'won' a DeWalt battery/impact drill. Had to 'pick the right square' (3 chances). After which, had to give a name/phone number - and suddenly, this 'free drill' required a credit-card, for only a few dollars.

'Drop it', I said. It's a scam. Don't send any of your info.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....