Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who doesn't have lunch regularly?

Default Who doesn't have lunch regularly?

As a kid I resented the daylight wasted during the day by lunch. Left to myself I never ate lunch and mostly still do not unless we are, or have, visitors. At times weather may make a difference, and hard physical work that necesitates a break. But as a preference in my working life I'd rather a brisk walk whilst many of my colleagues went to the pub, and that's what I did. Even now in my dotage I seldom have lunch though my wife needs to eats and I'll have a coffee or some such to ensure she stops.
    In my volunteer work I am entitled to a free lunch, but seldom have it.

So what's the practice out there in WBF land?

Default Re: Who doesn't have lunch regularly?

I spent all of my younger years going without breakfast or lunch and considered myself to be a healthy person while doing often hard physical work. I started eating lunch around age 50 and also added breakfast. I'm not certain if it was the food or age but I really slowed down after that.
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

I rarely do breakfast, but most always do lunch. I find a break for 1/2 hour or so is welcome.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

At home usually. At work it’s eat when you can.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

I rarely eat a sit down meal. No breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Graze when the mood strikes.

Breakfast is light, very light. I cnnot abide a cooked breakfast.

I'm hypoglycemic. I eat all day.

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day for me.

I rarely eat lunch, just graze a bit -- but then I never worked in a job that had a "lunch-hour". When you're flying airplanes it's grab what you can whenever you can.

I’ve lost 18 lbs since Covid. Just don’t go out for lunch as often.

Being in the construction business, break times and lunch break were done by the clock.
    When in the carpenters union, when the shop steward blew his whistle, you stopped working and took your break.
    That habit is hard to break. When the clock strikes noon, I'm looking for a fat ham sandwich!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I’ve gained 8lb since my wife retired last year, she’s a lunch eater, it’s hard to not consume what’s made.

When I was a kid in the air force, stationed in west Texas, my young first wife had relatives in Oklahoma City, and we got invited to an extended family get together for Fourth of July. Besides Grandma and Grandpa, there were a dozen cousins and aunts and nuncles and lots of grandkids. So we drove up and spent a few days. We got put up in an upstairs bedroom of the grandparent's house while most of the rest of the family stayed in town.

The grandparents owned an old-fashioned family farm, which had been in the family for many generations, probably part of the original landgrant in the eighteen hundreds, which was technically inside the OKC city limits, but was definitely rural. For some reason, probably taxes, OKC was the geographically largest city in the country at the time, and incorporated a lot of rural property. The old folks had been retired for quite a while by then, and the farm was no longer engaged actively in farming, but they still had an extensive garden, and still had a farm mentality and way of life. Grandma made three complete meals three times a day, and everyone sat down at a couple of yuuge tables, adults and kids segregated to accommodate everyone. I had never seen such a display of food.

Every meal, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the large tables were completely covered in dishes of entrees and sides. For breakfast she'd cook pancakes and waffles and take orders for eggs. There were boxes of cereal, and bacon and toast, grits and gravy, left over roast beef, ham and potatoes. Every meal. We'd all stuff ourselves, the women would do the clean up and put everything away, and four hours later, they'd get all the leftovers back out, and in the meantime she'd've cooked up some more. And then do the whole thing over again for dinner. Every day. The kitchen was in constant production mode. The mid-day meal was called supper and the evening meal was dinner and they were always, every day we were there, as abundant as that first breakfast. It was the first time in my life I went to bed, prolly around midnight, just stuffed to the gills, like a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at my folks, and then next morning woke up still completely full. Of course Grandma and Grandpa were big as a house and round.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Default Who doesn't have lunch regularly?

I am about 50-50 on lunch, left to my own devices. If it is presented, when socializing or a business meet,I will not pass it up.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Meals are boring when you live alone. I nosh all day. Sometimes I miss having a "meal" and do takeout at the local Mexican restaurant or have a calzone. Often I buy Thai and go watch the RR bridge go up or down, or the sun set at the beach.

Even when I cook, I still don't pull a meal together - meat, starch,vegetable, salad, dessert - and sit down at my dining room table to eat it. Most of the cooking ends up being 3 or 4 meals which one of which gets eaten and the rest frozen for later.

Although I don't miss the tyranny of meals, I wish I didn't eat this way. It's bad for the scale.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Eat when I'm hungry.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Right now, I have a 'wacky' work schedule - I am 'part time' at a big-box store, so one day it can be 8 AM to noon, or 4 PM to 11 PM, so I take drinks and snacks to work, and eat dinner at (perhaps) 1 or 2 AM. When I was in the Navy, we had 4 meals per day - one for the Midnight to 4 AM watchstanders. Like Jim in post # 12, I was exposed to farm cooking when I went to Western Kentucky for a Navy buddy's wedding and stayed at his house . His mother called us to breakfast and set a platter of 6 fried eggs, 4 sausage links, 3 ham slices, 6 pancakes, and 6 bacon strips on the table - I imagined that was the serving platter, and waited for our plates to be set at the table. His mother looked over at me , and in a kind way, said : " go ahead and start eating, honey, that's your plate " ( full disclosure - when I was 'cramming' for exams in high school / college, I used to pick up a bag of 7 double polish-sausage sandwiches (with all the toppings ) and 5 chocolate milkshakes , and munch thru them while I was studying )
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 08-16-2022 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Spell check put one over on me - again!
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

More mundane but glorious excess story. When I drove with my first wife and kid to Texas from California the first time, we got into San Angelo just about dinner time, and were exhausted from driving. We decided to splurge and have a nice dinner out before checking into the temporary quarters. Someone gave us a recommendation for good place to get a steak, called The Old West Steakhouse, out on the highway a coupla miles from the base.

We got a table, wife and I and the infant, and after looking at the menu for a bit, the waitress came and we ordered Kansas City steak for two, as it was called on the menu. Apparently if you came with a crowd you could order the KC for four or eight, or whatever. The place was homey and not crowded and having a steak was a treat. When the waitress came back in a bit with a yewage platter, big enough for a Thanksgiving turkey, piled high with large chunks of beef, she set it on the table and started to walk away. We looked at each other across this landscape of meat, and I said, "Excuse me, but we ordered the Kansas City steak for two," gesturing at the mound of chunks. Must've been a dozen pieces about three or four inches square and as thick as my wrist, it had to weigh ten pounds. One each would have been plenty. The waitress looked at us and said, "Well, hon, that is the KC for two. If chef sees a piece or two with a little fat on it, he'll add another couple for good measure. Yall enjoy." So we gorged ourselves and took the rest in a couple of boxes. We hadn't eaten half of it, and took the next couple of days to finish the leftovers.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Breakfast is light, very light. I cnnot abide a cooked breakfast.
    first breakfast is very light for me
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

^ Similar to above, we had moved to Sugarland, TX, near Houston, in 1982 and discovered a restaurant "W T Holt's " off Highway 6 near the I-10 Freeway , they would bring a massive plate of various barbecued meats to the table, along with longneck bottles of your favorite brew, with 'spares' cooling in galvanized buckets filled with ice alongside your chair.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

I like a late breakfast then snack through the day.

I always have breakfast, it is lunch that is completely optional. I had it today because I had to work early, but it was only a homemade ice cream float.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

The past 40 or 50 years I have not eaten breakfast or lunch... Don't know why but I never had the desire or time. Eat once a day maybe.... Should mention that I get absolutely no pleasure from eating, never have, might be a reason I'm not very big

Breakfast is a must, usually involving two eggs and some sort of cheese, frequently an omelette. Lunch is usually just a snack or fruit. Dinner is a proper sit-down meal with my sweetie and I alternating the cooking duties. I'm the better cook by far, a point she adamantly refuses to acknowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKI View Post
    The past 40 or 50 years I have not eaten breakfast or lunch... Don't know why but I never had the desire or time. Eat once a day maybe.... Should mention that I get absolutely no pleasure from eating, never have, might be a reason I'm not very big
    I have a friend who feels the same way - but I admit I've never understood it. Food flavors are wonderful & the joy of eating with friends/family is hard to beat.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by LOKI View Post
    Neither do I. A low level of pain sensitivity also means a reduced sense of taste and smell.
    You don't miss what you never had, for me there's social food when entertaining, and food for fuel. Despite that I'm told I'm a reasonable cook and have cooked for a living.

Good food, well prepared and properly presented, is a staple of life. Good booze helps.

Low level of pain.. Rings a bell,, broke my wrist in gym class, everyone struggling to keep their lunch, me, no pain. Broke my ribs, just a minor adjustment. Broke my ankle, had to call for assistance as the family was on holiday. Broke my collarbone, just drove myself to the hospital for treatment. I think that when terrible trauma happens to me my mind shuts out the pain.. I don't understand it but it seems to be the way my body reacts

Hey my friend, you must remember that this has occured over almost 50 years! Average that out and it's not so bad Keep in mind that I am a 45 yr millwright...
    Last edited by LOKI; 08-16-2022 at 09:26 PM. Reason: wrong year count

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I do enjoy good food prepared well.

but mostly I wish I didn't have to eat or sleep. And could make noise in my shed 24/7.

I eat either breakfast or lunch.
    if the former then dinner needs to be close to 5ish or I start snacking hard on bad stuff.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Eat the wrong things and you can make noise 24/7. I know this for a fact!!!

My wife's hypoglycemic so we've always eaten on a schedule. Doesn't have to be a lot, but something needs to go down the pie hole. Now in our 70s lunch is often just a handful of fresh veg sliced up with some hummous or ranch for a dip. Brekkie is sometimes an egg or two or, more often, some fruit and yogurt with a sprinkle of granola.

I often have leftovers from the previous dinner, or bits of things from the fridge that have been there a while.

For some reason, I can't stand leftover pasta.

Almost never have breakfast, and if busy on fun stuff and left to my own devices, I often wont have lunch until after 2pm.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

I've always eaten 2 meals per day, and eat more for fuel and nutrition than for pleasure. I like food just fine but don't swoon over it. When I lived on my boat for 2 years (between wives) I never cooked anything, unless making coffee counts as cooking. Like a dog, I would eat nearly the same thing every day. This may sound barren and pathetic to some, but (unless for social/family get-togethers) I fine far more rewarding ways to spend my time

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Loudon View Post
    Like a dog, I would eat nearly the same thing every day.
    what was it?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.