Thread: Academy Awards apologises to Sacheen Littlefeather for Oscars speech moment

Default Academy Awards apologises to Sacheen Littlefeather for Oscars speech moment

I woke up this morning and read this article below..... then did a search on youtube. 1973 was a pivotal year for me. Dark Side of The Moon was my album of the year. It was my final year of six year boarding at a catholic secondary school and my experiences, for many reasons, put an end to my faith in the major assumptions we are expected to adopt as guiding principals to a life of productive contribution to consumer society, a society of double standards and blatant hypocrisy. A society that a boarding school life was in many ways, a microcosm........

I put my suitcases on a train, pretending to leave for home but went to a pub one of the girls parents owned in a small country town down the road towards Melbourne, the city where my parents and two brothers lived and at around 11pm hitch hiked to Melbourne, picked up my suitcases and went 'home' to a house I had only spent holidays at since we moved to the city four years previously.......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-16/sacheen-littlefeather-oscars-apology-brando/101336500

The sentiments of this video and Australian films like The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith where the hallmark of a re education I was about to embark upon, the consequences of, among other influences, seeds sown by who I would later call revolutionary priests and brothers who's subversion was subtle yet powerful........ most left the priest hood in the following few years. One worked for years supporting the East Timorese and would become the UN envoy for East Timor, another for all intents and purposes disappeared to the communities of South America to live with the indigenous communities trying to hold on to their land against the avalanche of US backed 'economic development'.

Sacheen Littlefeather, speakng at the 1973 Oscars ceremony. On behalf of Marlon Brando, she refused the best actor award he was given for his role in The Godfather

Last edited by Hallam; 08-15-2022 at 10:30 PM.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Default Re: Academy Awards apologises to Sacheen Littlefeather for Oscars speech moment

..put an end to my faith in the major assumptions we are expected to adopt as guiding principals to a life of productive contribution to consumer society, a society of double standards and blatant hypocrisy
    we appear not so different there.

as to the apology.. words are nice.. words are cheap.. is the world actually a better place today?

Ah, well.. All's well that ends.. If it's not well, it hasn't ended. A consumptive culture has no option to 'be well'.

thanks for the post..

for the iDevice folk.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVQ3-Xe_suY

Default Re: Academy Awards apologises to Sacheen Littlefeather for Oscars speech moment

I never knew that she got such poor treatment. I remember criticism of Brando, but I never heard anything about her.

As for Wayne, I think he believed his own press a bit too much.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

They gave Medals Of Honor to the perpetrators of Wounded Knee? That compounds the stain on us.

So the Academy is apologizing for the behavior of the attendees?
    I'm not leaving.

-- Mike Pence

The Remove The Stain Act makes a lot of sense to me. I'm assuming it hasn't passed?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    They gave Medals Of Honor to the perpetrators of Wounded Knee? That compounds the stain on us.

So the Academy is apologizing for the behavior of the attendees?
    The attendees are MEMBERS of the Academy.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Only 50 years late...

Stuffed shirts, I don't know why anyone gives them the time of day, "The Academy"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Only 50 years late...

Stuffed shirts, I don't know why anyone gives them the time of day, "The Academy"

It is a self-indulgent, self-aggrandizing organization. Their motto: We Praise Us!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Hecheto welo
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn