Thread: Foundation help

Default Foundation help

Iíve been looking around for ideas for a carport/solar shed. Something to keep the sun off the jeep and provide a base for mounting some solar panels. No need to keep the rain off.

Lots of options. I found this on craigslist. Ring lock system scaffolding. Pretty heavy duty and got it fairly cheap given materials these days. All galvanized.

I got enough for four 10í towers plus some extra in case I want to raise 2 of the towers and have a slope. And four 20í trusses. I havenít decided how to run the trusses yet (perimeter or 4 front to back) The end result will probably have some treated beams and turnbuckle cross bracing. There may be some welding involved.

Planning to tie the whole thing down with big duckbill anchors and turnbuckles.

The bases for the towers need to be about 3íx3í. Iím not going to attempt a big slab.

Iíd like these 4 pads to stay put in relation to each other. I was thinking of framing them with 2x6 embedded in the road base. But the road base pad is only about 20íx20í feet so each of these will be near an edge. The soil is not great sandy clay. I donít mind some differential elevation movement.

Whatís a good say to make them stick? The only idea I have is to auger a hole under the pad to form a spike, and fill with concrete/rebar. Pour as one unit.

Or I could pour these things on the surface and let them float. Tapping them back into place if an issue comes up. Seems a little wrong for something this big.

Any ideas welcome.

9C66B539-BC7C-48E1-BB01-4CFC9BF53227.jpg

DFC5D8C6-CB34-4CE6-986D-9C1A72D1E048.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Foundation help

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post

Foundation help
    you'll need apple tv

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

okay having actually read the op, why not sonontube over an augered hole four or six feet down

6’?

pretty ambitious there

however deep your tractor 3 point hitch auger will go
    you said you didn't want it to move

I’m not a rich, tractor owning farmer type. A humble journeyman. Will compromise at 48”

988F40D2-A0CC-4C31-8847-EB186AE15408.jpg

ouch

why would you go beyond the frost line if the ground below is undisturbed? unless you are burying posts to provide shear resistance, which it does not sound like you are.

That’s it. Don’t know if these pads will move around. Would rather they not. No frost line here.

At my place in austin, stuff moves laterally all the time. Dead straight fence in 1998, not so much in 2022.

Freakin clay.

What's your plan for attaching the towers to the concrete bases?

I was going to drive some duck bill anchors. Maybe into the bottom of the hole underneath the pad. And bring them up above the concrete base. Then tie to the top of the tower/truss with a turnbuckle and steel cable. So I’d be anchored from the very top down. The tie down stuff is cheaper than I would have thought.

edit-now that I think about it, these may help keep the pad anchored in place as well.

9148492E-2469-46C7-8EEF-A7EF2E03DC53.jpg

DB111F75-07A7-46C4-AD19-61195E047786.jpg

Six feet or until bit refusal. In so much as possible.

I don't have a clue about how to keep the concrete slabs from moving, but I just finished up installing a bunch of anchor bolts in concrete with epoxy. It requires a hammer drill but otherwise it's pretty darn simple.

Self-form the pads in the road base(dig a neat hole), then drive a few lengths of rebar into the ground inside the form.
    If you leave the top of the bar above the form, you could weld or cable clamp your turnbuckle hardware to it.
    One of the bars per corner can be placed for the scaffold leg to be dropped over it.

Alternately the bar could be bent into giant staples before driving into the bottom of the form,leaving a loop exposed above the concrete.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

What is typical for pole type foundations in your area? Your concern about lateral movement rings a warning bell to me about your soil strength.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Is the ground movement caused by shallow underground aquifers or geological influences, like mini earthquakes?

The soil is carp. The cabin has an extraordinary slab on crazy big deep piers. Engineers insisted. On a mild incline. Stuff creeps.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 08-15-2022 at 08:58 PM.

You could use galvanized helical piers, the depth is adjustable, 20ft is feasible, instalation is via a dedicated electric drill wich you rent from the vendor.

For floating, find some old truck or tractor tires, fill with rubble, screw a plate on top to take the columns.

Your engineers are right. Go as deep as possible, include rebar in the concrete filled holes. The deeper the hole, the harder it is to move the whole thing. Your proposed hold-downs seem adequate.
    I have done quite a lot of pole construction work on steep sites here in NZ. Deeper is usually better.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

You people with your good advice are killing me. I’ll be a happy man the day I never have to dig another hole. The tires around the base might be a good look for this setup.

Thanks all.

Are you permitting this? I'd check to see if there are requirements for the solar panel mounting. If not...wing it

Look ma, no digging, it screws itself.

That is a heck of a system.

Yep, and if necessary there are extensions available, you just add another section on top and continue sipping coffe while it drives itself into the ground. It's not expensive either when compared to professionally poured concrete foundations. Ask around, there should be someone in Texas willing to sell them and rent you the driver, it's not such an uncommon system.