Thread: Olson 30 Envy

Default Olson 30 Envy

One of my sailing buddies scored. $100 dollars for fresh water boat, sails and working trailer. Stored up in Tahoe - she is bone dry. Has not been sailed in a decade. Complete with atleast a dozen hornets nests inside. Driving it back 50 miles - the hornets fled.

I am officially envious. (I told him if it does not work out for him - i would be interested. He laughed.)

IMG_8235.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8239.jpg

IMG_8237.jpg

Meanwhile - my second boat Lively Lady is for sale
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-15-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Default Re: Olson 30 Envy

i could suggest a better boat name
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I would change the name to Dumpster Diver

woooooooooooow. truly an epic score.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

I’d name it “C-Note”
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Big Face.

I really am stupid jealous. I seem to remember that the deck can become spongy (due to a balsa core?). Check it over hard, but for that price anything can be fixed.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

There is a J24 which was saved from the boneyard with a serious case of hull blisters... relaunched as "Swiss Cheese"

Names which refer to an element of the boat's history are the best.

I wonder what the trailer overhang is? Aft of the lights of course

I'd be using that ladder stowed on the trailer,rather than the red step ladder.Looks like a great deal for the new owner.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I'd be using that ladder stowed on the trailer,rather than the red step ladder.Looks like a great deal for the new owner.
    the ladder was chained and locked to trailer - no one has the key. he will have to cut it off.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I really am stupid jealous. I seem to remember that the deck can become spongy (due to a balsa core?). Check it over hard, but for that price anything can be fixed.
    I tapped all over the hull, deck and keel with a little hammer. It is all good. no spider cracking and gel coat is great. No moisture has gotten under any of the skin. A pressure wash and a buff and she will shine.

It is a great find. I am with you on this. Jealous!

When I routinely trailered 30 foot boats across the country I carried a ladder just like that then cooked and slept onboard.
    Taught my dog Betty to climb up that ladder ahead of me then hauled it up on deck while we were aboard sleeping. I never felt much safer sleeping than that on the road...
    (She was the only dog I ever had aboard that didn't sink her claws into the brightwork, very light-footed she never panicked. Best boat dog ever)

Dont be too jealous. Buying cheap and owning cheap are two different things.

That said, may she give him reliable pleasure.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Good SCORE! I thought I'd gotten a good deal on my Santana, but I stand (sit) humbled

A stripped-out racing machine with no auxiliary engine, probably no longer competitive and probably in need of new sails translates to a give-away price.
    Hope the guy enjoys it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Sails and engines are easy.

Hull, Deck, and spars are so much more difficult or timeconsuming or expensive.

How would various Forumites react if someone offered them that boat for free?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    How would various Forumites react if someone offered them that boat for free?
    I'd say "Thank you very much!"

It costs $5k/summer to keep a boat in the water where I live, but at that price it becomes a great deal!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Keeping a boat in the water is expensive, but if the boat is virtuslly free……………… And as for 'uncompetitive' Even on an ex racer there are better things to do with a sailboat than do circuits round the buoys.

Outstanding score! Congratulations to your friend, Ted.

Answer to the question: good question. If I wasnt going to race it Id pass.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'd say "Thank you very much!"

It costs $5k/summer to keep a boat in the water where I live, but at that price it becomes a great deal!
    Damn, Im glad I live in Portland, not Portsmouth. Our mooring is $80/year. Dinghy rack at East End Beach is $250. Winter storage at the boatyard including bottom wash and relaunch in the Spring is $800. And we have to have the mooring inspected every other year. Oh, and we paid $100 less than this guy for the boat. Come for a sail sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Damn, I’m glad I live in Portland, not Portsmouth. Our mooring is $80/year. Dinghy rack at East End Beach is $250. Winter storage at the boatyard including bottom wash and relaunch in the Spring is $800. And we have to have the mooring inspected every other year. Oh, and we paid $100 less than this guy for the boat. Come for a sail sometime.
    You are kind! I was factoring in the put and take, but that was also several years ago. It's really very high here. And the ramps are too short to reliably day sail a dinghy.

Damn, I’m glad I live in Portland, not Portsmouth. Our mooring is $80/year. Dinghy rack at East End Beach is $250. Winter storage at the boatyard including bottom wash and relaunch in the Spring is $800. And we have to have the mooring inspected every other year. Oh, and we paid $100 less than this guy for the boat. Come for a sail sometime.

Is there availability at those prices, Steven?

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Is there availability at those prices, Steven?

There is probably a waiting list for a mooring these days. But there wasn’t pre-covid. Dinghy rack spaces are available and room at the boatyard. Price is for a 25’ sailboat.

There is probably a waiting list for a mooring these days. But there wasn’t pre-covid. Dinghy rack spaces are available and room at the boatyard. Price is for a 25’ sailboat.

Thats amazing!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Keeping a boat in the water is expensive, but if the boat is virtuslly free……………… And as for 'uncompetitive' Even on an ex racer there are better things to do with a sailboat than do circuits round the buoys.
    A boat in the water here is actually a bargain comparatively. We sail and race all year around. A 30' slip in my marina runs $258 a month water, electricity and secured parking included. We all share a hooka dive kit with our own regulators - we now all dive and do our own work. we are pretty lucky - a collection of like minded, good hearted and talented sailors; we all share and help each other as well as happily crew when called. (Ask Pless about that.)

Incidentally this trailer may solve part of my interest of moving my own boat around or allow me to borrow this one for some destination races and cruising.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 08-15-2022 at 10:56 PM.

Here is an example of municipal rates around here.

Kevin

Kevin are "municipal" facilities common on the island? they've become exceedingly uncommon on this side of the sound, I only know of 3.
    Two use a waiting-list system and the wait is typically 5-10 years. The third uses a lottery-luck system when a spot becomes available, I know of one guy who hit the lottery on his third try, and another who's been trying for 14 years now.

Default Olson 30 Envy

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Kevin are "municipal" facilities common on the island? they've become exceedingly uncommon on this side of the sound, I only know of 3.
    Two use a waiting-list system and the wait is typically 5-10 years. The third uses a lottery-luck system when a spot becomes available, I know of one guy who hit the lottery on his third try, and another who's been trying for 14 years now.

The town has four dockage/ mooring facilities and maybe 10 launch ramps ( town is 25 miles long 5 miles wide with water on both sides) Some of the incorporated villages also have their own boating facilities. There is a county marina in the town as well. The state operates marinas, but none within 30 minutes of here. On Fire Island, the National Park Service owns two marinas.

There are waitlists and lotteries as you describe, though waiting more than five years is rare. I know one couple been waiting for 9-10 years, but they not only want a municipal slip, they only want it if its at the facility closest to them. Slips at other facilities have come up several times for them. They always pass, and instead pay higher rates for a private marina close to the them.

Then there are always some people that are on the wait list, but do not own a boat. Proof of boat ownership is generally required to get a slip or mooring, one cannot simply hoard the space. It is use it or lose it. These folks get called, do not have a boat, and so get passed over. But, they like being on the list.

Kevin

Last edited by Breakaway; 08-16-2022 at 08:40 AM.