Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ciao

Default Re: Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Maybe. The architecture, Joe. Hundreds of years old, vs 'this old place must be ten years and growing!'

Plus, who ya gonna speak Italian to, in California?

I know my waiter Italian has grown into conversational Italian in just 17 days. I can’t image what 6 months would be like.
    I will say the cost of living and housing pricing is 1/3 of what it is back in SoCal so that math indicates a three month property with Airbnb it during our absence. So who knows
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

my brother has bought a big (as in it has servant’s quarters) old stone (as in two foot thick walls in places) estate house in vicenza (where he is stationed), in need of total restoration. has employed a local crew to do plumbing, electric, gas, etc., and loads of stone, stucco, plaster, and finish work that would be almost impossibly expensive stateside.
    Last edited by L.W. Baxter; 08-29-2022 at 08:02 PM.

Love those red shoes, Joe. You and the Pope!
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Love those red shoes, Joe. You and the Pope!
    I thought about that, I also bought them for my red Vespa waiting for me back home

They invented caprese salad, but that's a pretty stingy plate.

Here's my homemade version, with fresh basil from the greenhouse:

Chip it’s all about the “mootz”, EVOO olive oil and balsamico di modena.
    I make a decent one back home but not the level that is here, besides there is no real mootz in California

Speaking of EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil ) on the Chianti Safari the sommelier made us blind taste test two EVOO’s one was a commercial version blended from a bunch of producers and one was a small batch villa’s version. You seriously could not believe the difference in taste. Not all EVOO is the same thats for sure.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-29-2022 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Chip it’s all about the “mootz”, EVOO olive oil and balsamico di modena.
    I make a decent one back home but not the level that is here, besides there is no real mootz in California

Speaking of EVOO ( Extra Virgin Olive Oil ) on the Chianti Safari the sommelier made us blind taste test two EVOO’s one was a commercial version blended from a bunch of producers and one was a small batch villa’s version. You seriously could not believe the difference in taste. Not all EVOO is the same thats for sure.
    I’m not sure, because I don’t like mozzarella, but I’d bet you can get some in SF.

ETA: I’m only a marginal fan of cheese, in general.

Renee has Covid.

today is our last day we were supposed to fly out tomorrow.
    So much for that romantic last dinner at La Giostra. Iíll call them later and cancel the generous reservation we were given by the owner.

Called the US Consulate and got all the info as to what to do.
    Called and canceled flights with credit for when we can leave.
    Booked another (CONTACTLESS) Airbnb for the next week to quarantine.

Wish us luck. What a way to end a perfect vacation. Ah well another week in Florence, well a week stuck in an apartment in Florence.

7CC04CCA-ED90-4AE2-8870-ABF2A3CC3760.jpg

Dude, go somewhere else! Odds are you'll be fine after a couple of days and will have five days or so to get to know someplace.

I suggest Napoli. Grab a train, it's like 3 hours from Firenze.

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Dude, go somewhere else! Odds are you'll be fine after a couple of days and will have five days or so to get to know someplace.

I suggest Napoli. Grab a train, it's like 3 hours from Firenze.
    I’m sorry George but I made the choice to move literally 3 blocks away and made sure that the Airbnb is contactless. The last thing we want to do is infect anyone else. I’ve been so cautious for the last 2.5 years the last thing we want to do is get on a train and infect other people. After informing our current host that Renee tested positive and asked to extend our stay here they could not but are willing to give us a late checkout for tomorrow so we can make a transition with the shortest time in public for exposure. Renee’s mild case, and knock on wood, my asymptomatic case are going to cost us about $2,000 but better to be safe than sorry. The absolute last thing we want to do is infect anyone else and god forbid someone with pre-morbidity.

I just contacted the host where we are staying and obviously informed them so when we check out they can sanitize. I also asked them for a new lighter for the stove ( silly Italian stove doesn’t have an ignition switch ) I asked them to place it outside our door and knock and then go away and we will retrieve it.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-30-2022 at 05:45 AM.

All the very best for a speedy recovery!

Rent a car and drive then!

Does it matter where the apt they are quarantining in is? They won’t be going out and infecting everyone so why move cities? As soon as they aren’t infectious they’ll be heading straight home.

Still requires interaction.

Downloaded the following apps on my new iPad Pro : United airlines, Airbnb, Uber eats ( just ordered a pizza, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, and Netflix. We are packing as much as we can to make the transition the the new Airbnb that is already paid for for the week. It’s Contactless, and has a bath & 1/2 an a small deck office where I can air traffic control everything.

The best thing so far is renee has it very mild and I don’t have any symptoms so far ( knock on wood )

We are going to make the best of it, keep safe and most of all keep everyone else safe.

As far as work in that operational binder is the phone number and location for the RV center that fixes all our grooming electrical and plumbing I’m very friendly with the service manager Armando so in a few hours I will alert him and the people that are watching our business will bring it over and it should be a fast fix.

Van 1 is already at Mercedes and I will call my man Jessie ( also in the operational manual ) this morning as well.

Van 3 responds to being jumped and as long as you don’t shut it off it will also make it on its own to Jessie at Mercedes.

Van 2 is running fine and is off line Mondays & Fridays so I will have it picked up on those days and returned back down to San Juan Capistrano.

My friend who came back from his fathers funeral is onboard to assist and he is the most like me and a A++++ personality

Edited add: Expect A TON of posts as we are going to go stir crazy for the next week.

I've heard of this happening to other people I know. It is a total bummer and one reason my wife and I have no plans to travel anywhere for at least another year.
    Stay calm, heal well and your business will be there when you get back. Worst case a couple of dogs will miss a grooming.
    All the best from the two of us.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

The good thing is I have Wi-Fi and I have ability to FaceTime everyone. I will have a dedicated office space at our next Airbnb so I will be playing anal retentive air traffic controller, and since we aren’t going anywhere I can devote 1,000% of my energy to solving the problems with the business.

4 hours until PST time. Time to get ready to rock and roll

Just ordered a pizza to be delivered, made a little antipasto of good hard pecorino Romano that we brought back from Siena, some good green olives and a couple of diced tomato’s, and opened up a nice bottle of Montepulciano D’Abruzzo.

599C5A73-D4AE-4188-BEDD-59C71B7D10A0.jpg

Renee is sleeping and I ordered her some tea and soup.
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-30-2022 at 07:48 AM.

We are going to make the best of it, keep safe and most of all keep everyone else safe.
    best plan possible
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    best plan possible
    Trying my best to keep the travelogue going in the best possible way. Hey I have tons of GoPro ( not drone ) video to edit so now I got the time

Well, hell, that's unfun. Speedy recovery to Renee', of course. I applaud how concientious you are being about avoiding infecting others.

This Covid really has it in for humans, hey?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

I know my waiter Italian has grown into conversational Italian in just 17 days. I can’t image what 6 months would be like.
    I will say the cost of living and housing pricing is 1/3 of what it is back in SoCal so that math indicates a three month property with Airbnb it during our absence. So who knows
    Joe, just a note of caution ( which I learned in a somewhat painless way) - Back in 1977, my wife flew to Naples to join me when my destroyer cruised there. Trying to impress ( what else ), I got us a taxi, and told the driver to take us to the restaurant we were going to dine at - We arrived at our destination, which turned out to be an alley in part of the worst slum in Naples. At that point, our cab driver turned to us, and in pure Brooklyn English asked where we REALLY wanted to go. He then took us to 'his brother's' restaurant in the hills, where we had the fantastic meal that I had hoped my directions would secure for us.

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Joe, just a note of caution ( which I learned in a somewhat painless way) - Back in 1977, my wife flew to Naples to join me when my destroyer cruised there. Trying to impress ( what else ), I got us a taxi, and told the driver to take us to the restaurant we were going to dine at - We arrived at our destination, which turned out to be an alley in part of the worst slum in Naples. At that point, our cab driver turned to us, and in pure Brooklyn English asked where we REALLY wanted to go. He then took us to 'his brother's' restaurant in the hills, where we had the fantastic meal that I had hoped my directions would secure for us.

Rick
    I freaking LOVE that story
    Although Florence is not Naples, like the UWS of NYC is not Bushwick Brooklyn

Darn Joe, Hope Renee recovers quickly. Stay safe and make sure you get some good sleep as well.

0900 hrs here in florence and I’m packing our life up and getting ready to make the AirBnB switch to our Quarantine Casa D’Amore. It is literally a 9 minut walk from where we are currently.

7D13CC97-B7AE-4FED-8EBC-57020142DC96.jpg

I will take one backpack and one carry on and scope out the place. Since it contactless there is a whole list of instructions emailed to me so I. Will take the completely get the lay of how to enter and exit, while renee continues to rest. Then I will come back and get the rest of the bags. The good thing is the unit is on the first floor so it will make it easy for renee and also easy to get deliveries. I might make a double masked stop at the local pharmacy on the way back and pick up 10 rapid covid test so we can test every day. As soon as we are clear I will rebook our flight and get us out of dodge, and back home to our dog, business and my daughter. Then I will gingerly bring Renee over and set her up to rest. She is everything to me and although she is a hard ass Jersey girl that can look Covid in the eye and say F/U I still want to keep he rested. Although I will say her symptoms are very mild, mostly a stuffy nose and a little cough. I asked her how she was feeling this morning and she said a little better.

So see you all from the next place as soon as I set up everything and connect to wifi.

Movie choice tonight “Roman Holiday”
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-31-2022 at 09:35 AM.

Be aware you may not get a negative result from a RAT test for a couple of weeks or more - they are a good indicator that you have covid, and also that you have had covid.
    Many airlines are just looking for proof that some period (seven days or so for most of them) have passed since the first positive test. The last guy from work who travelled and got it (about three months ago) while away, had to produce a letter from a doctor certifying the date of the test, as he was still testing positive but symptom free ten days or so later.
    Talk to the airline about what they need, if you wait for a clear test you might still be there halfway into September.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

So a couple of new developments;

#1 and most important I donít have Covid.
    78F77F9C-13E9-4B01-A9A4-5433B7BCABD1.jpg

I bought 10 rapid test to take every day

6D6A31EA-1C69-4284-9480-D549F233E06F.jpg

Then the new place we moved is a large 1 bedroom 2 bath apartment that is probably bigger than our place back home

A69DD90A-EA7C-447E-973D-75E437886DD3.jpg

505D327A-2ED8-4B0D-976A-36731FC39A04.jpg

C587E3B2-BC06-4187-BDB5-E66D85897E01.jpg

Since it is a one bedroom with a door and an en-suite bath Renee will be isolating in the bedroom and I will be sleeping on the pull out couch in the livening room. We will mask up if we are 6 ft from each other and take covid test daily.

FC455C0A-BE5F-49DD-806B-CC735AD3433A.jpg

D7077B71-57F4-4E89-8D2B-4150FAC84D51.jpg

7654606A-74B2-4AA6-AA0B-0A7B42C8B170.jpg

72B3E11B-2ADA-46EB-8466-74B245944F37.jpg

5948DA5F-0FA0-4B50-8D0E-643CC71E5465.jpg

Renee is doing OK she has some congestion and sniffles a mild cough but mostly like everything else in Italy it’s a Suggestion of Covid. {wink}

I did some major shopping because even though I don’t have Covid, I’m isolating with her for the duration. I just made her some Minestrone soup and I made myself some nice antipasto and opened up a beautiful Toscana Rose.

2635C0EC-3FE1-41C8-A520-24D9C892F810.jpg

Glad you guys are set up. I’d rather go ahead and get it now than get it a week from now and extend this whole deal.

I did some major shopping because even though I donít have Covid, Iím isolating with her for the duration. I just made her some Minestrone soup and I made myself some nice antipasto and opened up a beautiful Toscana Rose.

2635C0EC-3FE1-41C8-A520-24D9C892F810.jpg
    Remind you of anyone?

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Itís 11:30 here in Casa Dí Covid here in Florence and Renee is still in bed sleeping. Iím hoping that the antibodies are waging war against this virus and she will wake up feeling much better. I went in masked up and checked her breathing and and she seems fine. I miss being next to her so much it actually hurts

CDAB9116-4252-4A6C-AC80-31B3012450BB.jpg

Second Covid Test and Renee is still positive.

A3A9C86E-7ED4-44AC-87BF-C2F9E97F73A5.jpg

She took an Ambien last night thats why she slept so long. She says she’s feeling better and better everyday.
    Luckily her spirited is ravenous. I made her coffee, fresh OJ, and a Tuscan Toad in the hole and sliced peaches. She ate the whole thing.

A87413B0-2390-45B1-B73B-2C9CED363693.jpg

Second covid test for me came back negative.

Love Florence, Venice ... Rome. My daughter got engaged on the Amalfi coast! LOVE the land of Italia!

Enjoy, Joe!
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Luckily her spirited is ravenous.
    best autocorrect yet

i have another movie recommendation for you

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.